sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
What is the significance of the May 1st Deadline? As I understand it, that is the day that schools will report their acceptances and you will have to make a choice. You will then have a few weeks from then to make your final decision. Is this all correct?

DrDDSman

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Schools will report to AADSAS the names of students who have placed a deposit for the fall 2010 class. So, pretty much you have to decide before that date, not after.

minotaur9

minotaur9
Jun 5, 2009
Rochester
Status
Pre-Dental
Maybe this is a dumb question but why would AADSAS need to know?

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Schools will report to AADSAS the names of students who have placed a deposit for the fall 2010 class. So, pretty much you have to decide before that date, not after.
OK, so I am one of the jerks that has a spot in a class but is on an important (to me) wait list.

How is it that there is still movement just about up until school orientation classes if everyone "needs" to be settled by May 1st?

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
OK, so I am one of the jerks that has a spot in a class but is on an important (to me) wait list.

How is it that there is still movement just about up until school orientation classes if everyone "needs" to be settled by May 1st?
I think that the main reason that they do this is because there are some people that have actually put down multiple deposits. The deadline is to encourage THOSE students to make a decision and free up the extra spots. If you have put one deposit down, it won't affect you're status on the waitlist of another school. If the other school does offer you an acceptance, you can then decline your acceptance to the original school and free up that spot. The goal is to notify students of acceptances as early as possible, and if you're holding multiple spots, you're really messing things up for someone else.

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student

And you're not a jerk at all for accepting an acceptance in case you don't get into your top choice program. Lots of people do that, and it makes complete sense.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student

People can be dropped up until the first day of class for not completing pre-reqs, or failing a pre-req, getting in big trouble with the law, etc...its not just about holding multiple seats

Feb 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental

I've seen a few people get the impression that pre-dents are against individuals having a deposit and holding out for another school......this is definitely not the case. The truth is that we are all doing it unless we have gotten into our number one choice.

What gets under the skin of a few of us is when people have "multiple deposits"....(a completely different story)....because they are seats that could be freed up immediately if the individual in question would choose between his/her 2+ acceptances. I will mention that there are a few scenarios in which it is completely understandable for someone to be holding on to a couple of acceptances....but the implementation of this date by dental schools makes it obvious that the practice of multiple deposits is frowned upon in general.

pinetar321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
I've seen a few people get the impression that pre-dents are against individuals having a deposit and holding out for another school......this is definitely not the case. The truth is that we are all doing it unless we have gotten into our number one choice.

What gets under the skin of a few of us is when people have "multiple deposits"....(a completely different story)....because they are seats that could be freed up immediately if the individual in question would choose between his/her 2+ acceptances. I will mention that there are a few scenarios in which it is completely understandable for someone to be holding on to a couple of acceptances....but the implementation of this date by dental schools makes it obvious that the practice of multiple deposits is frowned upon in general.
Yeah, I started a thread about your first paragraph being my life and I got massacred by some pretty bitter people. Its not that I wouldn't love to go to X school, its that Y school fits me better and costs less, for example.

snaggletoof

Have Faith
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I started a thread about your first paragraph being my life and I got massacred by some pretty bitter people. Its not that I wouldn't love to go to X school, its that Y school fits me better and costs less, for example.

Quoting Pinetar "GAH! I absolutely can't stand having to tell them that after 8 months of waiting, I'm still checking AADSAS every single day, whoring SDN for news and predents. This is the worst torture imaginable. Yes, I've put down a deposit at Tufts, but I'm waitlisted at UMD and Columbia, in addition to waiting on VCU. I really hope I'm not alone in this sad little experiment for possibly the next 3 or 4 months waiting on schools to either accept me off a waitlist or reject me. Wow it feels really good to vent."

so do you think this is anything like what the op was asking in this thread. :thumbdown:

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student

Quoting Pinetar "GAH! I absolutely can't stand having to tell them that after 8 months of waiting, I'm still checking AADSAS every single day, whoring SDN for news and predents. This is the worst torture imaginable. Yes, I've put down a deposit at Tufts, but I'm waitlisted at UMD and Columbia, in addition to waiting on VCU. I really hope I'm not alone in this sad little experiment for possibly the next 3 or 4 months waiting on schools to either accept me off a waitlist or reject me. Wow it feels really good to vent."

so do you think this is anything like what the op was asking in this thread. :thumbdown:
Yeahhhh there was already had a HUGE bashing thread about that, so there is really no need to turn this into another....:rolleyes:

snaggletoof

Have Faith
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeahhhh there was already had a HUGE bashing thread about that, so there is really no need to turn this into another....:rolleyes:
ok ok. promise i won't, however this op had an extremely valid point from which alot of us can learn from. this is what this forum is for, sharing and helping our peers. thanks everyone for the incite on this thread. :love:

minotaur9

minotaur9
Jun 5, 2009
Rochester
Status
Pre-Dental
to eliminate the need of each school communicating with 56 other schools back and forth to know if some one is taking more than one spot. Remember your probabilities, the answer multiply by the number of times they have to communicate per cycle..........
So then how do they rectify this issue with people that are holding multiple acceptances, on May 1st through AADSAS? What are the consequences or should I say what happens then? (and btw, I'm not one of them, lol wish I was)

Sweet Luck

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
how accurate is this information and where did all you people hear this from? I called AADSAS to check and the person told me that this is not what they do.

minotaur9

minotaur9
Jun 5, 2009
Rochester
Status
Pre-Dental
how accurate is this information and where did all you people hear this from? I called AADSAS to check and the person told me that this is not what they do.
So did you ask if they do anything similar to this?

pinetar321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
wow thats not even the one, snaggletoof, but thanks for thinking youre the most important person ever, mr. 37 posts.

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
wow thats not even the one, snaggletoof, but thanks for thinking youre the most important person ever, mr. 37 posts.
Please, guys. Go start your own thread that is dedicated to your back and forth jabs. I'm pretty interested in this topic, so I would love to get some real answers. Especially from the person that said that they spoke with aadsas!

Please don't turn this into another argument.

pinetar321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Dentist
i think for sure, dental schools want to know what schools their potential students on the waitlist have deposits at. If somebody has multiple deposits, I guess that shows that they are not too interested in said waitlist school.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
So then how do they rectify this issue with people that are holding multiple acceptances, on May 1st through AADSAS? What are the consequences or should I say what happens then? (and btw, I'm not one of them, lol wish I was)
I think AADSAS releases some kind of list to the schools letting them know where their accepted students (those who made the 1st deposit) are holding other acceptances at...what the schools do with that info, if they drop you or notify you to hurry up and make a decision, I am not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if at this point they don't just drop someone who is sitting on multiple acceptances just because they can't make up their mind.

solstice

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Please, guys. Go start your own thread that is dedicated to your back and forth jabs. I'm pretty interested in this topic, so I would love to get some real answers. Especially from the person that said that they spoke with aadsas!

Please don't turn this into another argument.
I do not underestand why you are not calling AADSAS yourself with your specific question and get the answer in just a minute.

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I do not underestand why you are not calling AADSAS yourself with your specific question and get the answer in just a minute.
I did call them yesterday and the girl had no idea what I was talking about. She had no idea what the significance of May 1st was...

However, I have since read a piece that came from the ADEA that states that the schools will report the names of those that are holding spots on May 1st. (http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/Documents/ADEA_AADSAS_PASS_SPRING_09.pdf).

Here's an excerpt from last years newsletter:

As a reminder, the May 1 Traffic Rule states:

Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by
May 1 the names and identification numbers of candidates who
have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class.
After May 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of
candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s)
at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of
rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid
deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental
schools with candidates holding multiple positions will give
such candidates a minimum fifteen-day notice if they choose to
withdraw them from the entering class.

snaggletoof

Have Faith
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hahahaha i love it mr 37 posts.:laugh:

I think pizza has the most valuable information on this thread except for pinetars, which i have quoted above.

thanks for the pizza. nice find. :thumbup:

Dec 3, 2009
Status
I did call them yesterday and the girl had no idea what I was talking about. She had no idea what the significance of May 1st was...

However, I have since read a piece that came from the ADEA that states that the schools will report the names of those that are holding spots on May 1st. (http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/Documents/ADEA_AADSAS_PASS_SPRING_09.pdf).

Here's an excerpt from last years newsletter:

As a reminder, the May 1 Traffic Rule states:

Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by
May 1 the names and identification numbers of candidates who
have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class.
After May 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of
candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s)
at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of
rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid
deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental
schools with candidates holding multiple positions will give
such candidates a minimum fifteen-day notice if they choose to
withdraw them from the entering class.

does this mean waitlist will be moving after May 1st?? Do all students holding more than one spot need to decide by this date?

nuartywayne

7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
does this mean waitlist will be moving after May 1st?? Do all students holding more than one spot need to decide by this date?
From what Dr. Ancajas said during the interview at UNLV, the school will give the applicant a couple of weeks (don't know exactly the deadline time) to make their decision if they will be attending the school. If the person does not reply or rescinds then their acceptance is revoked. I do not know the circumstance if the person does in fact says they will be accepting their spot and still holds out to the other ones.

With how I've dealt my acceptances I don't have the money to put down multiple deposits. I did place two and was able to get my deposit refunded from my first acceptance. I do personally don't know why hold two seats if you are waiting for a response all you need to hold is your top choice at the time...Eventually the person will have to commit to just one school and I think that report is more to help the Admission process along to help free up schools from making too many moves so close to the starting date. Remember that new application will be rolling in before classes are finalized and so its just helping the schools maybe become more efficient so they can prepare for the next incoming cycle...

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Has anyone seen any evidence of movement yet? It's probably early, but I thought I would get the discussion going again.

minotaur9

minotaur9
Jun 5, 2009
Rochester
Status
Pre-Dental
good call, I'm in, I haven't heard anything yet, but hoping this is the month!