Drop in 2014 Heme/Onc Fellowship Matches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennismasta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that fellowship match lists for 2014 had fewer people going into Heme/Onc, at least for programs at which I was interviewing (e.g. in 2013 7 people matched, 2014 only 1 person matched). Is this true across the board, or is it coincidence for programs at which I am looking? I wonder if there were fewer spots or less interest.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed that fellowship match lists for 2014 had fewer people going into Heme/Onc, at least for programs at which I was interviewing (e.g. in 2013 7 people matched, 2014 only 1 person matched). Is this true across the board, or is it coincidence for programs at which I am looking? I wonder if there were fewer spots or less interest.

I see 541 positions for hem/onc + med onc offered for 2015 via NRMP. This is approx the number of ABIM med onc firs time, certification test takers for the past 5 years.

Probably, what you are seeing is that in the geographic area you applied, the job market got super tight and some peeps were discouraged from applying (like nephro etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Everything is cyclical everywhere. The year that I applied for fellowship, 5 (of 30 in my class) people applied (and matched) Hem/Onc. Next 3 years it was 1 or 2. Last year it was 6. Don't read too much into this. The sample size on a year-to-year basis is too small to make any reasonable conclusions from.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah you can't make any conclusions for the whole season just based on one program. the NRMP charts are the only place where you can actually judge competitiveness and compare seasons.
how many people apply from a certain program matters only if you are trying to match at that program. say you love Duke and and you wanna go there for hem/onc, it'll be more difficult if 7-8 Duke residents are applying to hem/onc and wanna stay at Duke for fellowship compared to only 1 or 2 applying.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2015.pdf

See page 48 (PDF)/42 (actual page numbers). 2014 (the match that happened in December 2013) did have slightly fewer applicants than the year before or after, but it was just a blip.