Drop postbac or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From 7 predec interview, 4 waitlist, 0 acceptance, 1 rejection and 2 pending decisions.
I had currently have 2 bachelors (not a double major but got second bachelors as postbac) and I enrolled in a postbac certificate program in which matriculants take a upper div bio classes.
I have all the prerequisites down and recommended courses (biochem,physio,anatom,etc) for the majority of school.
I thought maybe if I had to reapply again in the worst case scenario, I would rather spent the tuition money for SMP rather than a certificate program which would boost my undergrad GPA (which barely goes up due to the number of units completed) . Also I had the notion that winter and spring grades are not considered for admission decision making, since they are not updated through academic update. I remember if it was the case of SMP, schools wanted to see the completion of degree for the commitment, but I think I already showed the commitment part by completing a second bachelors.
I have contacted few schools via e-mail but none of them gave me an answer, so I plan on calling schools this monday, but I just wanted to get second opinions from the site.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think, and hope for you, that 4 waitlists is good at this point in the game. I hope you get in off at least 1 and matriculate in the fall. If that does not happen, since you already have 2 bachelors, I think an SMP would absolutely seal the deal for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the schools that you are on waitlists for under the impression you will continue your post-bacc? If I were you I would not do anything to jeopardize your chances of getting off a waitlist. It seems your odds would be pretty good of sneaking in somewhere being on 4 of them!

doc toothache - well. When $$ is involved it's hard to be patient.
IsaacYankem - Thanks. I hope I can matriculate before furthering any more debt.
sacapuntas - Well. I didn't mention anything because I wasn't sure if I was going to drop the courses or not. I only have the updated Fall grades and I was hoping with those grades I could get off from the waitlist. I will definitely call as early as possible on Monday.

Reactions: 1 user
From reading these forums over the years, it seems that quite a number of wait listers end up getting in. You have to remember that many candidates who are accepted were accepted to multiple programs and have to choose which school they'll go to. This means a lot of spots open up (especially at private schools where the cost of attendance is high) for those on waiting lists.