• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Dropping a class in your major

What are you majoring in?

• Double majoring in science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double majoring in humanities

• Other

• Total voters

Neuronette

7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2012
WestCoast
  1. Pre-Medical
    During freshman year (1st semester), I took a sociology course taught by a horrific professor who actually stopped showing up to class. I took a variety of classes that year and it was my first sociology course. A week before the final, I was getting too much anxiety about the class and I dropped it (despite the fact that the lowest I would have probably gotten was an A-/A).
    I took the W and swore I would never take another socio course, but *sigh* it seems that I would need to take this course to fulfill a minor in public policy.

Who knows, I may actually like the subject (since my opinion was entirely based upon the unpleasant experience with the professor), but just hypothetically speaking, if I liked it and decided to major or minor in it, would it seem terribly bad to med schools or even future employers that I dropped my first course in a class I ended up majoring in?

kexy

10+ Year Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    1. Attending Physician
      One W your first semester is not an issue at all, as long as it doesn't become a pattern, and this is probably true whether or not the class was in your major. I had a W in a prereq sophomore year, and only 1 interviewer asked me about it. Personally, I passionately loathe sociology and would give anything to drop my current course...

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.