Dropping a class; no W on transcript; when is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuneyah

Undergrad grad 2013!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers a deal to freshman they can use once throughout the academic year: drop a class past the drop deadline, and you won't get a W on your transcript, it'll just disappear.

I'm getting really scared about Biology II. I exempted Bio I through AP credit, and I've already done poorly on one exam, and I have a feeling I just did poorly on the second exam.

At what point would you take this offer? When you know you're going to get a B- when it's all said and done? Or a C+, C, C-? Where should I draw the line, realistically? :(

I'm really thinking about drawing the line at a B-...

I don't even plan on being a science major, just a music major, and maybe a minor.

Thanks for answering my whiny question.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you go to Emory??

I would personally drop bio if I had a B- or lower. Since you're a music major, you won't have that many classes that count towards your science gpa and a C (or even B-) could really hurt you.

Do you go to Emory??

I would personally drop bio if I had a B- or lower. Since you're a music major, you won't have that many classes that count towards your science gpa and a C (or even B-) could really hurt you.

Yea, I do. Maybe I'm sitting right next to you in the library right now lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
so I'm assuming you can wait until the final week to drop it then? I'd at least wait until you get the results from your second test back. Then you have to consider whether you are losing significant time just by staying the class (i.e., are your other grades being affected?) If you have a shot at pulling a B after the second test, I think it might be worth sticking it out until the end and then withdrawing if necessary.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't drop it if its intro level Bio. You are bound to take harder classes and this thing might come in handy then.

so I'm assuming you can wait until the final week to drop it then? I'd at least wait until you get the results from your second test back. Then you have to consider whether you are losing significant time just by staying the class (i.e., are your other grades being affected?) If you have a shot at pulling a B after the second test, I think it might be worth sticking it out until the end and then withdrawing if necessary.

I'd stick with this advice. Unless your grades in other classes will be affected, see if you can still pull off an A or A-. If you find that after the second exam you'll get below an A-, I think it's worth dropping the class and trying again next year. You will have already studied the material, and you'll probably be "better" at college, and you'll probably ace it. If you can pull off mostly A's in required BCPM classes, it looks much better.