Dropping a class; no W on transcript; when is it worth it?

nuneyah

Undergrad grad 2013!
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2009
172
5
101
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
My school offers a deal to freshman they can use once throughout the academic year: drop a class past the drop deadline, and you won't get a W on your transcript, it'll just disappear.

I'm getting really scared about Biology II. I exempted Bio I through AP credit, and I've already done poorly on one exam, and I have a feeling I just did poorly on the second exam.

At what point would you take this offer? When you know you're going to get a B- when it's all said and done? Or a C+, C, C-? Where should I draw the line, realistically? :(

I'm really thinking about drawing the line at a B-...

I don't even plan on being a science major, just a music major, and maybe a minor.

Thanks for answering my whiny question.
 

amanda9717

7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
113
0
141
Status
Dental Student
Do you go to Emory??

I would personally drop bio if I had a B- or lower. Since you're a music major, you won't have that many classes that count towards your science gpa and a C (or even B-) could really hurt you.
 

nuneyah

Undergrad grad 2013!
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2009
172
5
101
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you go to Emory??

I would personally drop bio if I had a B- or lower. Since you're a music major, you won't have that many classes that count towards your science gpa and a C (or even B-) could really hurt you.
Yea, I do. Maybe I'm sitting right next to you in the library right now lol...
 
Feb 10, 2010
147
0
0
Status
so I'm assuming you can wait until the final week to drop it then? I'd at least wait until you get the results from your second test back. Then you have to consider whether you are losing significant time just by staying the class (i.e., are your other grades being affected?) If you have a shot at pulling a B after the second test, I think it might be worth sticking it out until the end and then withdrawing if necessary.
 
Mar 24, 2010
12
0
0
Status
To tell the truth, I wouldn't drop it if its intro level Bio. You are bound to take harder classes and this thing might come in handy then.
 

riverjib

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2009
639
3
141
NY
Status
Pre-Medical
so I'm assuming you can wait until the final week to drop it then? I'd at least wait until you get the results from your second test back. Then you have to consider whether you are losing significant time just by staying the class (i.e., are your other grades being affected?) If you have a shot at pulling a B after the second test, I think it might be worth sticking it out until the end and then withdrawing if necessary.
I'd stick with this advice. Unless your grades in other classes will be affected, see if you can still pull off an A or A-. If you find that after the second exam you'll get below an A-, I think it's worth dropping the class and trying again next year. You will have already studied the material, and you'll probably be "better" at college, and you'll probably ace it. If you can pull off mostly A's in required BCPM classes, it looks much better.