Dropping Classes to save GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midia

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice on whether I should drop a class or not.
I have four finals upcoming and I am on track to get an A in 3 of them (organic chemistry, investments, genetics). My fourth class is social psychology. In order to get an A in this class, I would have to get a 94 on the final. If the final is anything like the midterm, then my chances of getting an A are really small. Right now I am trying to study as hard as I can for all four classes but I am wondering if it's better for my GPA to attempt the final and possibly get a B or should I drop the class and move on with 3 A's this semester.
Some background:
I am an Indian student and am worried about the B's I have been getting compared to my peers. I don't know the statistics right off the top of my head but I do know getting into a good/top med school program will be hard if I continue getting B's. I have gotten 5 B's and 11 a's so far (no C's or F's), but I think this is already too many. I go to an Ivy League school and last semester was rough for me as I got 2 B's and 2 A's, so I want to do well this semester.

Is the opportunity cost worth continuing with the social psychology class? (I know it's not required but only recommended for med school. I, however, am also worried that taking 3 classes this semester might look even worse when the average is 4 at our school.)

Also our dropped courses do not show up on our external transcripts, only internal. I wouldn't need to retake the course or anything since the course was intended to help me for the MCAT and I learned the material by being in the class to the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you make an entirely new thread for the same question you already asked this morning?
Dropping a class

Reactions: 2 users
Bro it’s a B relax and do your best

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Drop the class unless doing so would force you to overload in a later semester but be prepared to explain you only took three classes this semester.

Are you an international student or Indian-American?

And why are you struggling in Social Psych?

Drop the class unless doing so would force you to overload in a later semester but be prepared to explain you only took three classes this semester.

Are you an international student or Indian-American?

And why are you struggling in Social Psych?

Hi! I'm Indian-American. I had a group project in Social Psych that we did not do too well on and the exams are really difficult, which is why I am worried about the final. We aren't given any practice tests and all of our notes have to come from lecture (slides are not posted).

Hi! I'm Indian-American. I had a group project in Social Psych that we did not do too well on and the exams are really difficult, which is why I am worried about the final. We aren't given any practice tests and all of our notes have to come from lecture (slides are not posted).

Be thankful your Ivy undergrad allows you to drop a class in November without taking a W.

Sounds like Brown.

Be thankful your Ivy undergrad allows you to drop a class in November without taking a W.

Sounds like Brown.

Holy. In November without a W?! .My school gives a W after the FIRST WEEK