Dropping out and confused what to do now :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loserofthewins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow students,

This is pretty hard to share but I really need some help. Just recently I decided to drop out of medical school. I made this decision within the first 2 weeks of starting med school. I instantly knew that this simply was not for me. In fact, this was never my dream. I was following the dream of my father and was forced to study a field that I absolutely hated. Ever since grade 12, I simply did not enjoy science, however, I was able to get decently good grades in it, hence everyone assumed I would be capable enough to become a doctor. After reaching undergrad, I started taking courses that were more clinically and medically related (Pathology compared to General Chem) and quickly realized that this all sounds like gibberish to me. I was simply not able to understand the material in the same way my fellow classmates were able to. I would cry when studying, it simply did not make any sense to me. Additionally, I had no interest in studying human diseases or the human body at all. I did pretty poorly on these courses, however, my grades in all my other courses were high enough to land me a 3.95 GPA. When it came time for the MCAT, I can't say it gave it my 100%. I really had no passion to study for the MCAT as I really did not care for the end goal. I barely studied 3 weeks for it and was able to get a 26 on the MCAT. By some miracle, I was able to get into 3 medical schools. At the time I was very happy I had gotten an admission. I think just the idea of one day becoming a doctor made me happy, rather than actually liking medicine itself. I was more attracted to the lifestyle and respect that came along with being a doctor, rather than the human body and treating patients. Talking in medical terminology seems like gibberish to me. Before medical school started, I tried convincing myself that I will like it and now I have no other choice but to complete medical school. Once medical started though, I quickly realized that there is no chance I will be able to survive this. If I continue any longer, either I will fail or I will go insane.

As hard as it was to tell my parents, I had no other option. Now lies the question, what do I do next? Since I was in grade 10, I have always had an interest in business. I never really got the chance to study business at a post-secondary level, so I don't really know what studying business is actually like. However, I always regretted not going into the field of business. I go out of my way to read business articles and to learn about business in general. However, at this point in my life, it is way too late to redo a bachelors in business admin. Additionally, I know there are other smaller fields in science that I can potentially pursue but my heart is simply not in it. I just feel super lost and am not sure what to do. I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How old are you? I only ask because you said that it was too late to redo a bachelors. I'd like to ask what makes you think so? There's no age restriction on going back to school to get another degree.

Reactions: 1 users
1) paragraph breaks are a good thing

2) careful with any mentions of self harm, even in hyperbole, SDN takes that seriously

3) quit quit quit quit quit

People that LOOOOOOOOOOVE medicine often find it to be soul-crushing and a source of never-ending misery, and the worse thing anyone can ever do is go into medicine already knowing it's not for them. It won't get better, I promise. This isn't like taking a job at Starbucks you don't like. This is a calling.

4) do what makes you happy.

Statistically speaking, you'll live longer than your parents and any disappointment they may have.

Read this post and thread to them, tell them you're sorry, you tried to do what they wanted, but you're miserable and actual physicians agree this is not a career for someone that doesn't find some glee in science, medicine, patients, and being fist deep in diseased body cavities.

You don't sound like you have the aptitude to succeed even if you skate by, and you certainly don't have the passion. That's OK. That doesn't make you any less deserving of respect or any such thing. I could never see myself as the President of the US, a civil rights attorney, mechanical engineer, or any number of respectable careers. It's OK to be good at what you're good at, and not at what you're not.

If I came from a political family like the Kennedys it would likely be sacrilege not to go into public service a la politics, which I could never see myself doing. So it's very subjective what is what a child "should" do for a career to make their family happy. In one family being a physician is a disgrace, in another business, in still another leaving the family farm to be a scientist. It's easy to get stuck on what your particular family thinks you should be doing, but if you poke your head up you can see it's subjective enough to be something you should dismiss if it won't make you happy. You're not your family's little mini-me for them to live out their life fantasies. When they ****ed and made you they played the genetic lottery and got you, and you're you, and that's that.

There are other things that do make you happy and can make you a living.

If your parents can't absorb all of what I just said, and support you steering away from the path of total disaster (going into medicine without the aptitude and passion) and onto a path of a good life and happiness, than they're just not good parents and their opinion counts for squat when it comes to what you should do for work. Period.

5) it's not too late to go back to school. there are some considerations if if will be a second bachelor's, talking to a school advisor is a great idea

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very sorry to hear about this. I hear your story about going through the preparation to get to med school and honestly it sounds very similar to mine. However now I'm just about to start third year and I'm wrestling with the same decision you just made. I respect that you realized this early and chose to get out now, I know that will be very hard to explain to your family but in the end I think you have to do what's best for you and I believe you will find something you enjoy. It was smart that you got out when you did, personally I'm halfway through, and I've almost reached the point of no going back with this thing.... Smart decision on your part. I wish you the best with figuring everything out

Reactions: 3 users
Hello fellow students,

This is pretty hard to share but I really need some help. Just recently I decided to drop out of medical school. I made this decision within the first 2 weeks of starting med school. I instantly knew that this simply was not for me. In fact, this was never my dream. I was following the dream of my father and was forced to study a field that I absolutely hated. Ever since grade 12, I simply did not enjoy science, however, I was able to get decently good grades in it, hence everyone assumed I would be capable enough to become a doctor. After reaching undergrad, I started taking courses that were more clinically and medically related (Pathology compared to General Chem) and quickly realized that this all sounds like gibberish to me. I was simply not able to understand the material in the same way my fellow classmates were able to. I would cry when studying, it simply did not make any sense to me. Additionally, I had no interest in studying human diseases or the human body at all. I did pretty poorly on these courses, however, my grades in all my other courses were high enough to land me a 3.95 GPA. When it came time for the MCAT, I can't say it gave it my 100%. I really had no passion to study for the MCAT as I really did not care for the end goal. I barely studied 3 weeks for it and was able to get a 26 on the MCAT. By some miracle, I was able to get into 3 medical schools. At the time I was very happy I had gotten an admission. I think just the idea of one day becoming a doctor made me happy, rather than actually liking medicine itself. I was more attracted to the lifestyle and respect that came along with being a doctor, rather than the human body and treating patients. Talking in medical terminology seems like gibberish to me. Before medical school started, I tried convincing myself that I will like it and now I have no other choice but to complete medical school. Once medical started though, I quickly realized that there is no chance I will be able to survive this. If I continue any longer, either I will fail or I will go insane.

As hard as it was to tell my parents, I had no other option. Now lies the question, what do I do next? Since I was in grade 10, I have always had an interest in business. I never really got the chance to study business at a post-secondary level, so I don't really know what studying business is actually like. However, I always regretted not going into the field of business. I go out of my way to read business articles and to learn about business in general. However, at this point in my life, it is way too late to redo a bachelors in business admin. Additionally, I know there are other smaller fields in science that I can potentially pursue but my heart is simply not in it. I just feel super lost and am not sure what to do. I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some input :)

1. So hard to read
2. What medical schools still accept old MCAT?
3. You got into 3 med schools with a 26 and lack of passion?

Tbh this may sound generic but we only have one life to live, do something that you enjoy. All the best.

Reactions: 3 users
Get out in the job market. Work for a while and figure out what you like. Learn to code, learn computers, work in sales, explore accounting and actuary jobs. Look into health care administration. You don't need a business degree to get a business job, and you can always go back for an MBA after you get work experience.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello fellow students,

Get an MBA? MS in Finance?

Reactions: 1 user
What if you finish medical school? You said you hate medicine, and that's understandable, but what if you could complete medicine with the knowledge that you won't be matching into a residency but instead go into business. A lot of unmatched MDs do that and you would't have to go back to undergrad. You could even get an MBA after 2nd year of med school.

Just bringing to light another option.

1. So hard to read

Tbh this may sound generic but we only have one life to live, do something that you enjoy. All the best.

Most of the reason I am still in the medical field is superior MCAT scores from 1990. I won an appeal to relicense based on those old scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got into three med schools with a 26 MCAT, MD schools no less.

How under represented minority are/were you?

Look for jobs in areas of your major (I'm assuming some kind of science) that have a business aspect involved. Pharma/medical device sales, biotech, etc. Idk what your debt/financial situation is, but I wouldn't go back and start another major without a little financial stability and there are plenty of jobs out there that will allow you to see some aspects of actual business while applying the degree you already have. If you find you like the business side of those fields, go ahead and go back to school. If you don't, then at least you haven't wasted 4 more years on another road you won't go down.

Either way, dropping out of med school is certainly not the end of the world, especially as early as you did. There are still plenty of doors open and paths to explore. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait what? 3 med schools with a 26..???
Go get a business degree
1. So hard to read

I love SDN. You get a long tale of how miserable somebody is, and everyone just thinks, "whoa, whoa, whoa....you got in with THAT mcat??"

Reactions: 14 users
Get out in the job market. Work for a while and figure out what you like. Learn to code, learn computers, work in sales, explore accounting and actuary jobs. Look into health care administration. You don't need a business degree to get a business job, and you can always go back for an MBA after you get work experience.

Definitely get out of medicine if you hate it this much already!

Excellent advice from @raiderette - You don't need a business degree to get a job in business. Your current whatever degree will be just fine. @Stagg737 's advice to try something related to science is also worth considering as those will be the easiest fields for you to find employment in, and they'll also be more likely than most to be impressed by your 'got into but hated medical school' narrative.

Recognize that every career has it's suck, and if you can identify the types of things you hate most and find least tolerable, that may help you narrow things down a bit. "Business" is such a broad term that it could mean supervising baristas, selling newspapers, scheduling plumbing house-calls or writing business proposals. You might even want to mentally decide on an 'official' (in your mind) exploratory period where you deliberately try out various fields either as a volunteer or in an entry-level job just to see what's fun and what's torture for you. Maybe consider working for a temp agency to gain wide exposure while you figure it out.

Either way, I'd avoid another expensive and time-consuming preparatory program (BS, MS, MBA, Law School) until you're a bit firmer on your own direction.

Reactions: 2 users
I love SDN. You get a long tale of how miserable somebody is, and everyone just thinks, "whoa, whoa, whoa....you got in with THAT mcat??"

What else do we say? It's crystal clear he isn't cut out for medical school and he mentions that he's "always liked business". This is really just a pointless thread so the only thing interesting was how he got into 3 MD schools with a 26.

I emphasized on those point bc OP mentioned he recently dropped out and schools are taking new MCAT, therefore a 26 matching 3 schools is highly suspicious.

Reactions: 1 users
Erm not to break your bubble but most physicians are in it for the lifestyle and respect.

No matter how they start out. It all ends the same.

Reactions: 5 users
Erm not to break your bubble but most physicians are in it for the lifestyle and respect.

No matter how they start out. It all ends the same.
im in it for the hot chicks bc im ugly. need to compensate and continue the family line

Reactions: 4 users
I think those that are successful get lumped into housing/ property/ cars that give them respect. Not all demand that or want the ‘doctor lifestyle’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When people say they got a 26 MCAT, may I ask how they calculate IT?

I am wondering about my (cough) 1990 MCAT. Sometimes on forms I am asked to give a score. But mine doesn’t have a composite score. Just
Bio 9
Chem 9
Physics 12
Science 10
Reading 8
Quantitative 8
Do you just add it up?
The MCAT has been changed twice since then.

Last edited:
When people say they got a 26 MCAT, may I ask how they calculate IT?

I am wondering about my (cough) 1990 MCAT. Sometimes on forms I am asked to give a score. But mine doesn’t have a composite score. Just
Bio 9
Chem 9
Physics 12
Science 10
Reading 8
Quantitative 8
Do you just add it up?
The MCAT has been changed twice since then.
It would be Verbal + Chem/Physcis + Bio

Those are the baseline reasons!

I've definitely got some idealistic classmates who haven't really looked at lifestyle/income before med school, but I think the general knowledge that physicians are usually respected and upper middle class is pretty pervasive. Then again, vets have a similarly competitive and expensive and long graduate schooling process and do it for a lot less money than dentistry or medicine does, so some people must be picking primarily on job interest.

This thread makes me sad..- I hope you find happiness.

OP, maybe try dental school. Dentists are actually allowed a life outside of the medicine they practice.

Either that or physical therapy I would think would be pretty sweet.

Thank you for this worthless and unrelated thread contribution.

OP - If you don't like medicine - get out. There is no need for you to hate your life for four years, and possibly more if you force yourself to do a residency. You have to think about what you want to do in this life. Sure, you COULD become a suit in the medicine world and MD your way into nothing but admin roles, however, you gotta ask yourself what you wanna do before you start thinking about how those options may play out. Best of luck.

OP, maybe try dental school. Dentists are actually allowed a life outside of the medicine they practice.

Either that or physical therapy I would think would be pretty sweet.
Yeah dentistry's definitely the better deal if you can stand the business aspect. They're more salesmen than they are doctors.