dropping "planned" courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatmeal_27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have already applied and submitted my primary/secondary to about 30 med schools. I was registered to take genetics this semester but was struggling to balance the class along with final projects for my engineering degree. I dropped genetics with the advice of my academic advisor (and it will not show up on my transcript).

However, when I applied to schools through TMDSAS and AMCAS, I put genetics as one of my planned courses for the 2024-2025 school year. I checked my school list and none of the schools I applied to require genetics. Some schools recommend it, but no one requires it. Is this okay, or do I need to let schools know that my planned coursework has changed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have already applied and submitted my primary/secondary to about 30 med schools. I was registered to take genetics this semester but was struggling to balance the class along with final projects for my engineering degree. I dropped genetics with the advice of my academic advisor (and it will not show up on my transcript).

However, when I applied to schools through TMDSAS and AMCAS, I put genetics as one of my planned courses for the 2024-2025 school year. I checked my school list and none of the schools I applied to require genetics. Some schools recommend it, but no one requires it. Is this okay, or do I need to let schools know that my planned coursework has changed?

Thanks!
There's nothing you can change about the course list on AMCAS after submission.

However on TMDSAS, you can log in and update your current courses and even enter your new Fall Semester grades.
Maybe wait until the end of the semester and do all this stuff at once.
If you have any trouble taking off that Genetics course you had planned to attend, ask the TMDSAS liaison for help by messaging them in your portal.

On both apps, they know that future plans can and do change, and whichever school you attend will ask for their own copy of your official transcript. You don't need to notify the schools separately about this coursework change.

Reactions: 1 user
There's nothing you can change about the course list on AMCAS after submission.

However on TMDSAS, you can log in and update your current courses and even enter your new Fall Semester grades.
Maybe wait until the end of the semester and do all this stuff at once.
If you have any trouble taking off that Genetics course you had planned to attend, ask the TMDSAS liaison for help by messaging them in your portal.

On both apps, they know that future plans can and do change, and whichever school you attend will ask for their own copy of your official transcript. You don't need to notify the schools separately about this coursework change.
thanks so much! I didn't know this about the TMDSAS portal, so this is very helpful. :)

Reactions: 1 user