drug dependency/addiction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there any website where I can find some information regarding the specific drug and dependency/addiction ratings ie., say for example morphine has more addictive properties than codiene kind. or depending on class?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Is there any website where I can find some information regarding the specific drug and dependency/addiction ratings ie., say for example morphine has more addictive properties than codiene kind. or depending on class?

What are you really asking? Please rephrase with more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the scale 1 to 10 how addictive are sedatives? or pain relievers?.
I am looking for this kind of information in a comparitive chart for each drug class and also specific for a drug

Also, I was aksed this question by my college-junior cousin, which got me for a while : Is it true that the older you are, the more difficult for you to quit addiction (in general)? I then told him that "It depends on what drugs/things you are addicted too". He went "Well, i am really addicted to Starbuck coffee now and learn about the receptor thing in gen biol where they say as you stop the supply , the body changes to reduce the number of receptors. Isn't that a young body is able to do so faster than an old one?"

I've been researching PubMed and Willey and several other sources to find an answer but to no avail. Any comments ? I am happy to be educated here! Thanks

On the scale 1 to 10 how addictive are sedatives? or pain relievers?.
I am looking for this kind of information in a comparitive chart for each drug class and also specific for a drug

The DEA classifies substances based on their potential for abuse or diversion. I'm not sure what they look at to determine what schedule a particular substance falls under, but maybe thats at least one place to start.

In reality the information you are looking for has little clinical value. Different people display different patterns of chemical dependency. Some people are dependent on Soma and go to extreme lengths to obtain it, yet have no compulsion to abuse Morphine. The former substance is not even classified on the DEA schedule, as far as I know. One man's Ambien is another man's Oxycontin. The DEA schedule is probably based on potential for diversion, since they are a law enforcement agency, and has little to do with the propensity of a particular substance to induce chemical dependency.

The key is knowing which medications have potential to produce dependency, and being able to identify those behaviors in patients whom are taking these medications long term. But you can't presume a person has a chemical dependency problem based on the medications they are taking alone. The diagnosis is made by observation of behaviors detailed in the DSM-IV, which makes no mention of specific medications, specific quantities, etc...

Thanks McDoctor for bringing this back up again. I meant to post a comment then went out of town & forgot about it.

I agree with your statements. Addiction, dependence, abuse & tolerance are all interrelated with not just the drug, but also the patient & condition being treated. Drugs like Soma, which McDoctor brought up, altho not controlled will metabolize to an addictive substance (in Soma's case - its metabolized to meprobamate) thus needs to be watched closely.

You can't really compare tolerance toward benzodiazepines to tolerance to opioids. They work on different receptors & affect different neurotransmitters. Also - there is no cross tolerance in many situations, but in others there is.

As McDoctor pointed out - the DEA classification is based upon risk of "diversion" and other political influences - thus you have Paregoric a CII in some states & a CIII in others. Likewise, at least until a few years ago, the CV cough syrups were controlled differently in some states than others.

You can find the relative potency within a class of drugs - your example of morphine & codeine in any pharmacology text. We use this information all the time to convert someone from a short acting opioid to a longer or different route. Anesthesiologists, surgeons, dentists, podiatrists & any other health professional who might do a surgical procedure also have to be cognizant of the relative potency of opioids since in their circumstance, they must cover the addiction before they can dose for pain of an acute intervention.

I don't think you'll find a simple chart, but come back if you need more help with a specific situation.