Drug information resource

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x240799x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a drug information resource (either print or electronic). What resource do you find most helpful/user friendly? What aspects of this resource do you like most, and what types of information do you find least useful in this resource? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to purchase a drug information resource (either print or electronic). What resource do you find most helpful/user friendly? What aspects of this resource do you like most, and what types of information do you find least useful in this resource? Thank you.
First off, what sort of practice are you in? Most employers should already have a subscription to a few resources, and probably a few old books laying around too.

Generally I'd say electronic sources are better since they're updated constantly, unlike a book that's out of date as soon as it's printed. It's also nice to not have to flip through pages to find something, since you can just search drug names. Of course, if you're in some kind of alternative practice that you're not on a computer, maybe a LexiComp handbook or Washington Manual would suit you better.

Personally, I use Micromedex at work (since it's what the store provides), and Up to Date when I'm researching things at school.

what is your budget?clinical pharmacology is cheaper than most of the other resource.

Members don't see this ad :)
Micromedex (if you buy the complete suite) is the best for most purposes, but being a Thomson-Reuters product, it falls right into "price gouging" category. In fact, most of their products are that way - best database money can buy, but cost A LOT of money. :D

I use epocrates (Free) on my phone for simple things like basic indications, generic name, pregnancy category, AE etc. and clinical pharmacology for more complicated issues (work subscription).