Drug interaction between potassium and Detrol LA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It came up as a major interaction on our computer system today and while the pharmacist and I both tried to find out exactly what it was, we couldn't find anything. A friend of mine who worked at CVS says that this also happened with their computer system while she was on her rotations and she couldn't find any info about it either. Does anyone have any idea what exactly happens if you give potassium and Detrol LA together?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think its an actual interaction betweeen potassium & detrol. I think it is a result of First Data Bank's interpretation of the MedWatch alert which was issued in March 2006 of the warning of QT prolongation of detrol in congenital or acquired cardiovascular conditions which result in QT prolongation. Since hypokalemia is one of the many causes of QT prolongation (as well as hypomagesemia & hypocalcemia & a whole bunch of other stuff)...they used potassium replacement as a trigger to make the pharmacist warn about any potential causes of dizziness which may be the result of the drug itself or the QT being prlonged.

I'm willing to be proven otherwise though...just haven't seen evidence.

Apparently at 2x the therapeutic dose (8mg/day), QT interval prolongation occurs - however the effect declines after 4 days of dosing.

The regular therapeutic dose causes less QT interval prolongation, and Detrol isn't associated with the polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (Torsade de pointes).

Hypokalemia (obviously) causes QT prolongation, I have no idea why a potassium supplement with detrol would cause an interaction. It should give the patient a thumbs up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how do you remember these stuff sdn??? I learned that hypokalemia causes i believe dose dependent QT interval, but i wouldnt have remember if u didnt bring it up. Either way, you are just too freaking smart.

how do you remember these stuff sdn??? I learned that hypokalemia causes i believe dose dependent QT interval, but i wouldnt have remember if u didnt bring it up. Either way, you are just too freaking smart.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You keep remembering detail like this when you work in a hospital environment - oh....and time helps!

I've spent 30 years working & at least 20 was directly in critical care. So....I saw QT disturbances all the time. Not all of them are clinically important - many times they are aberrations which have been caught on an EKG.

But...some can be. My educated guess is this one (detrol & K+) is not. I think First Data Bank (which is the company which gathers all the drug interaction data & sells it to the computer software companies)...has decided that someone who requires a K+ supplement is prone to hypokalemia (this shows that you have to exhibit professional judgement when deciding if what the computer says is actually relevant - thus the need for a pharmacist!!!).

As Requiem pointed out....someone who takes a K+ supplement is not likely to be hypokalemic - duh - the reason for the supplement!

But...this is an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT example of how clinical retail/ambulatory pharmacists are & need to be.

Do NOT sell yourself short! You are all clinical - each and every time you overrride a DUR or counsel a patient or educate a student!

We also saw this interaction where I work. After reading the monograph for the interaction, it actually looks like the problem is that Detrol LA is anticholinergic, which can theoretically delay gastric emptying, allowing potassium chloride to stay in the GI tract for longer, which could result in GI lesions, bleeding, or hemorrhage. First Data Bank states that all solid oral dosage forms of potassium chloride are contraindicated in any patient taking an anticholinergic and they should instead use a liquid form of potassium. Our interaction was actually between potassium chloride and Spiriva.

1 Drug-Drug Interaction Detected
Major: potassium chloride and tolterodine

* The interaction is due to tolterodine which is a component of Detrol LA
GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of agents with anticholinergic properties (e.g., antihistamines, antispasmodics, neuroleptics, phenothiazines, skeletal muscle relaxants, tricyclic antidepressants, class IA antiarrhythmics especially disopyramide) may potentiate the risk of upper gastrointestinal mucosal damage associated with oral solid formulations of potassium chloride. The proposed mechanism involves increased gastrointestinal transit time due to reduction of stomach and intestinal motility by anticholinergic agents, thereby increasing the contact time of potassium chloride with GI mucosa. In clinical studies, coadministration of wax-matrix or microencapsulated formulations of potassium chloride with an anticholinergic agent such as glycopyrrolate resulted in more frequent and more serious endoscopic lesions than potassium therapy alone. However, the lesions were not accompanied by bleeding or epigastric symptoms. Some studies have reported a higher incidence of upper GI lesions with wax-matrix than microencapsulated formulations, although data are conflicting.

MANAGEMENT: Use of agents with anticholinergic properties at sufficient doses to exert anticholinergic effects should be avoided in patients treated with oral solid formulations of potassium chloride (U.S. manufacturers of potassium chloride consider this combination to be contraindicated). Alternatively, a liquid formulation of potassium chloride may be considered. Patients prescribed a solid oral formulation should be advised to discontinue potassium therapy and contact their physician if they experience potential symptoms of upper GI injury such as severe vomiting, abdominal pain, distention, and gastrointestinal bleeding.

From free drug info here:
http://www.pharmacyonesource.com/community/

Sorry - in again....in a practical fashion...this is just not encountered (particularly considering all the possible drugs which can delay gastric emptying).

I'd never recommend liquid K over solid K.....just change the interval, otherwise you get noncompliance.