Drug interaction question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor M

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for those of you in school, i have a question regading a drug interaction;

Fentanyl and zyvox. The computer at work flagged this as a severe DI and do not dispense w/o MD call. Well, myself and my overnite RPH could not find any DI of siginificanct importance. I even called the mfg and they had nothing on file. Any input? I read that zyvox has very little influence on the CYP enzymes, so what is the DI?

Dr. M

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, for those of you in school, i have a question regading a drug interaction;

Fentanyl and zyvox. The computer at work flagged this as a severe DI and do not dispense w/o MD call. Well, myself and my overnite RPH could not find any DI of siginificanct importance. I even called the mfg and they had nothing on file. Any input? I read that zyvox has very little influence on the CYP enzymes, so what is the DI?

Dr. M

Something to do with serotonin syndrome?

I've been out of school for a few weeks, zyvox=linezolid?

Something to do with serotonin syndrome?

I've been out of school for a few weeks, zyvox=linezolid?

Ok, but why would this cause SS? MAOI are strictly contraindicated with zyvox but why fentanyl?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that tyramine is a chemical that cause severe reacations with zyvox, but what is the problem with fentanyl? Tyramine and Fentanyl? What is the connection?

Dr. M

Ok, but why would this cause SS? MAOI are strictly contraindicated with zyvox but why fentanyl?

Because fentanyl might enhance the (very weak) MAOI properties of linezolid?

From lexi-comp:

RE: fentanyl
Actiq=transmuscosal lozenge dosage form

MAO inhibitors: Not recommended to use Actiq® within 14 days. Severe and unpredictable potentiation by MAO inhibitors has been reported with opioid analgesics.

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs): Analgesics (opioid) may enhance the serotonergic effect of SSRIs. This may cause serotonin syndrome.

RE: linezolid

MAO inhibitor properties: Exhibits mild MAO inhibitor properties and has the potential to have the same interactions as other MAO inhibitors.

I know that tyramine is a chemical that cause severe reacations with zyvox, but what is the problem with fentanyl? Tyramine and Fentanyl? What is the connection?

Dr. M

Linezolid has weak MAOI properties and may interfere with the metabolism of tyramine. Fentanyl may enhance the MAOI properities of Linezolid, so...that's my guess.

Because fentanyl might enhance the (very weak) MAOI properties of linezolid?

From lexi-comp:

RE: fentanyl
Actiq=transmuscosal lozenge dosage form

MAO inhibitors: Not recommended to use Actiq® within 14 days. Severe and unpredictable potentiation by MAO inhibitors has been reported with opioid analgesics.

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs): Analgesics (opioid) may enhance the serotonergic effect of SSRIs. This may cause serotonin syndrome.

RE: linezolid

MAO inhibitor properties: Exhibits mild MAO inhibitor properties and has the potential to have the same interactions as other MAO inhibitors.

Well, you can close this thread too! Just called my pharmacy to confirm and warn the patient! Like I said, you are one to know! Thanks for your help!

Dr. M

Well, you can close this thread too! Just called my pharmacy to confirm and warn the patient! Like I said, you are one to know! Thanks for your help!

Dr. M

Let's leave it open and see if some of the old(er)-timers have any thoughts on this one. OK, I won't say OLD, just more experienced (sdn1977, bananaface- I'm looking at you!). LOL banaface is probably younger than I, but you get my drift.

Let's leave it open and see if some of the old(er)-timers have any thoughts on this one. OK, I won't say OLD, just more experienced (sdn1977, bananaface- I'm looking at you!). LOL banaface is probably younger than I, but you get my drift.

Yes, i would like to hear from the hospital pharmacist, zpaxsux? Please chime in on this one. I live for information! And of course the other knowledgable rph's too!

Dr. M

Yes, i would like to hear from the hospital pharmacist, zpaxsux? Please chime in on this one. I live for information! And of course the other knowledgable rph's too!

Dr. M

I'm just curious - do you know why the patient was getting Zyvox?
Our A/B professor was very concerned about its overuse.

It's so expensive!

I'm just curious - do you know why the patient was getting Zyvox?
Our A/B professor was very concerned about its overuse.

It's so expensive!

couple possible reasons, if it is MRSA and susceptible to vancomycin, zyvox comes in tablets while vanco is IV only - don't have to set patient up on outpatient IV/home health.

complicated skin and soft tissue infections or diabetic foot - zyvox has better tissue penetration.

"allergy" to vanco?

strep pneumo increasing drug resistance.

at our hospital, it is restricted to Infectious Disease docs only.

couple possible reasons, if it is MRSA and susceptible to vancomycin, zyvox comes in tablets while vanco is IV only - don't have to set patient up on outpatient IV/home health.

complicated skin and soft tissue infections or diabetic foot - zyvox has better tissue penetration.

"allergy" to vanco?

strep pneumo increasing drug resistance.

at our hospital, it is restricted to Infectious Disease docs only.

Yes Zyvox (i.e. linezolid) should be restricted. Overuse of antibiotics is unfortunately a problem w/ all antibiotics which is why antimicrobial resistance is so much of a concern. However, w/ a drug like zyvox if resistance develops to it then you are really running short on alternatives. Therefore Zyvox should typically be reserved for the following:

-hospital acquired MRSA pts that are allergic and/or can't tolerate vanco (assuming of course micro culture/sensitivity show resistance to synercid/bactrim/clindamycin)...Note: community acquired MRSA is often susceptible to bactrim or clindamycin.

-or Vancomycin resistant enterococcus (VRE) urinary/bacteremia infections

-or any other gram positive infection resistant all other abx including vanco

Interaction b/w zyvox and fentanyl, well it is potential two fold...
The first easier of the two to explain is the historial interaction of monoamine oxidase inhibitors (i.e. MAOIs, outside of zyvox's antimicrobial activity it is a weak MAOI) to potentially cause respiratory depression which can be compounded when used w/ opiates. The problem w/ this interaction is that it is largely based on very old literature w/ various other case reports citing how the combo can be used safely. So basically it may be ok (except w/ demerol), but increased monitoring is warranted given potential for adverse outcomes.

Other interaction would be potential for serotonin syndrome (SS) as expressed by All4MyDaughter mentioned previously.

Several opioids may also have weak neurotransmitter activity thereby potentially increasing serotonin (5HT)/ norepinephrine (NE) at the synapse thus possibly increasing risk for SS. Most notable opiates (or opaite like drugs) which may cause this are: fentanyl, ultram, meperidine (really shouldn't be used that often anyways), darvocet, and methadone (hope I am not forgetting anything).

The same incr risk for causing SS when using zyvox w/ other agents would be w/ any of the following: antidepressants (SSRIs, TCAs, MAOIs, etc), migraine meds(triptans, have 5HT activity), antipsychotics
(often block 5HT-2A/C and/or may augment 5HT-1A), and various other 5HT acting meds.

Generally the interaction w/ zyvox and other MAOIs is an absolute contraindication and the others are often relative w/ avoidance the preferred choice.

In the "real world" if you have a pt that requires zyvox for an infection and they may already be on a potential interacting drug, it would be in the best interest to stop the other offending drug (assuming not necessary for life sustainment) and start the zyvox as if appropriately indicated, the infection is quite severe. Waiting 14 days after the antidepressant is d/c'd to start zyvox isn't always possible given severity of infection.

If combos of zyvox and other 5HT/NE types of drug have to be used for whatever reason then monitoring for sign/symptoms of SS (incr. temp, change in mental status, tachycardia, incr BP, hyperreflexia) is the best you can do.

SS isn't really that common. I think a review in Mayo Clinic or Clinical Infectious Diseases found a prevalence of <10% (might of been even lower <1-5%??), but if it occurs then the complications are potentially fatal. One of the main things to consider in drug therapy is how many drugs are on board that are actually affecting the neurotransmitter.

Try to keep it to just two if possible assuming zyvox alone isn't possible. For instance most of the case reports of SS cite pts who were on one antideppressants previously to starting zyvox for an infection and were fine until some ultram (or other opiate) or maybe some trazodone or TCA was added for underlying neuropathic pain or sleep (in the case w/ trazodone). So the more drugs on board that affect 5HT neurotransmission the more likely SS is to occur.

Please see the following for the FDA warning:
http://www.fda.gov/cder/warn/2005/Zyvox_wl.pdf (see p4)
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/SSRI_SS200607.htm

Sorry for being so length on this one.

1 Drug-Drug Interaction Detected
Major: fentanyl and linezolid

* The interaction is due to linezolid which is a component of Zyvox
MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, 5-HT1 receptor agonists, ergot alkaloids, lithium, St. John's wort, phenylpiperidine opioids, dextromethorphan, and 5-hydroxytryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors.

MANAGEMENT: In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk. Close monitoring is recommended for signs and symptoms of excessive serotonergic activity such as CNS irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, myoclonus, ataxia, abdominal cramping, hyperpyrexia, shivering, pupillary dilation, diaphoresis, hypertension, and tachycardia. Particular caution is advised when increasing the dosages of these agents. The potential risk of serotonin syndrome should be considered even when administering one serotonergic agent following discontinuation of another, as some agents may demonstrate a prolonged elimination half-life. For example, a 5-week washout period is recommended following use of fluoxetine before administering another serotonergic agent.

from free drug info here:
http://www.pharmacyonesource.com/community/

1 Drug-Drug Interaction Detected
Major: fentanyl and linezolid

* The interaction is due to linezolid which is a component of Zyvox
MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, 5-HT1 receptor agonists, ergot alkaloids, lithium, St. John's wort, phenylpiperidine opioids, dextromethorphan, and 5-hydroxytryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A receptors.

MANAGEMENT: In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk. Close monitoring is recommended for signs and symptoms of excessive serotonergic activity such as CNS irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, myoclonus, ataxia, abdominal cramping, hyperpyrexia, shivering, pupillary dilation, diaphoresis, hypertension, and tachycardia. Particular caution is advised when increasing the dosages of these agents. The potential risk of serotonin syndrome should be considered even when administering one serotonergic agent following discontinuation of another, as some agents may demonstrate a prolonged elimination half-life. For example, a 5-week washout period is recommended following use of fluoxetine before administering another serotonergic agent.

from free drug info here:
http://www.pharmacyonesource.com/community/

hmm...isn't that what Kwizard said, but the rare possible ones of two???:rolleyes:

Contraindicated Drug Combination
FENTANYL/MAOI'S
Fentanyl TD and Zyvox Oral may interact based on the potential interaction between FENTANYL and MAOI'S.

MONOGRAPH TITLE: Fentanyl/MAOI'S

SEVERITY LEVEL: 1-Contraindicated Drug Combination: This drug combination is contraindicated and generally should not be dispensed or administered to the same patient.

MECHANISM OF ACTION: Unknown.

CLINICAL EFFECTS: The concurrent use of some narcotics with MAOI's has resulted in hypotension, hyperpyrexia, sedation, somnolence, and death.(1-4)

PREDISPOSING FACTORS: None determined.

PATIENT MANAGEMENT: The Australian manufacturers of fentanyl injection(5) and fentanyl lozenges(6) state that concurrent use with or use within 2 weeks of discontinuation of an MAOI is contraindicated.
The US manufacturers of fentanyl lozenges(7) and patches(8) state that use in patients who have received an MAOI in the previous 14 days is not recommended. The US manufacturer of fentanyl injection states that use in patients who have received an MAOI in the previous 14 days should be monitored and vasodilators and beta-blockers should be available for the treatment of hypertension.(9)

DISCUSSION: The interaction between meperidine and MAOI's has been well documented. There are two reports of potential interactions between MAOI's and dextromethorphan.(1,2) In another case report, the concurrent use of propoxyphene and phenelzine resulted in sedation and somnolence. The patient had previously taken both agents alone with no adverse effects.(3) At least one fatality has been reported from the use of fentanyl during surgery in a patient receiving an MAOI.(4)
Furazolidone and linezolid are known to inhibit MAO.

REFERENCES:
1.Rivers N, Horner B. Possible lethal reaction between Nardil and dextromethorphan. Can Med Assoc J 1970 Jul;103:85.
2.Sovner R, Wolfe J. Interaction between dextromethorphan and monoamine oxidase inhibitor therapy with isocarboxazid. N Engl J Med 1988 Dec 22; 319(25):1671.
3.Garbutt JC. Potentiation of propoxyphene by phenelzine. Am J Psychiatry 1987 Feb;144(2):251-2.
4.Noble WH, Baker A. MAO inhibitors and coronary artery surgery: a patient death. Can J Anaesth 1992 Dec;39(10):1061-6.
5.DBL fentanyl injection Australian prescribing information. FH Faulding & Co Limited t/a David Bull Laboratories October 31, 2003.
6.Actiq (fentanyl citrate) Australian prescribing information. Orphan Australia Pty Ltd. November 2, 2002.
7.Actiq (fentanyl citrate) US prescribing information. Cephalon, Inc. September, 2005.
8.Duragesic (fentanyl) US prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceutica Products, L.P. February, 2005.
9.Sublimaze (fentanyl citrate) US prescribing information. Taylor Pharmaceuticals 2005.

So what this really is a completely undocumented potential interaction without even one case study to back it up. I would consult the physician and document the phone call on the prescription. I would warn the patient or the caregiver about what to look for and call it a day.

One more thing, you should be able to print out the monograph from the CVS computer with all of the relevant data from First Data Bank. You can also check on RX-Net, which has two on-line drug interaction checkers, one from Facts and Comparisons and one from First Data Bank.
One

i'm going to throw this one out there...

another interaction, flagged by our computer, caught by my partner pharmacist....

flomax and coreg - duplicate therapy in that both are alpha blockers

any thoughts?

i'm going to throw this one out there...

another interaction, flagged by our computer, caught by my partner pharmacist....

flomax and coreg - duplicate therapy in that both are alpha blockers

any thoughts?

Well flomax is pretty much selective for the alpha1A receptors of the prostate and bladder. It has less effect on BP than some of the other alpha blockers (prazosin, terazocin). Now coreg is a beta blocker with some alpha activity.

The risk is orthostatic hypotension. Of all the alpha blockers, flomax is the least likely to cause this condition. I think I'd warn the patient about first dose effect and monitor for signs and symptoms of low BP.

good call! [i was going for mixed alpha/beta]:thumbup: