Drug policies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlfran16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a kind of random question...I was looking at the resident handbook for one of my top programs, and it mentions that residents will be subject to random drug tests, and that they will not allow any illegal drugs or any controlled prescription substances. Does any one know if this includes controlled substances that you have a valid prescription for? I have ADHD and take Adderall for it, and was just curious if this would be a problem once in residency. I don't know if it will be viewed negatively if I discuss it with my program director (I am going into surgery). I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with anything like this.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a prescription for it, and it isn't illegal, then you're fine. This isn't the NBA.

Or the NFL, where apparently inhaled corticosteroids taken for exercise-induced asthma are a strict no-no.

They may frown on people on chronic narcotics (no matter how legit the script is) but I doubt Adderall will get you in trouble. You will likely have to do a pee test which tests for common drugs of abuse, not sure if it will pick up anything like Adderall.

They may frown on people on chronic narcotics (no matter how legit the script is) but I doubt Adderall will get you in trouble. You will likely have to do a pee test which tests for common drugs of abuse, not sure if it will pick up anything like Adderall.

It will, but if you're on it for a legitimate reason it doesn't matter. I was on PRN benzos when I took my drug test and told them that.

Had a friend on adderall throughout his residency for ADHD and never had any problems. I don't know how programs would feel about being on narcotics for chronic pain...