Drug Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PartyHouse001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious,

Do med schools require drug testing prior to entrance? If so, can you forfeit your acceptance by failing one or many of the tests?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious,

Do med schools require drug testing prior to entrance? If so, can you forfeit your acceptance by failing one or many of the tests?

I'm pretty sure you gotta get a physical before you go to school. Drug testing seems like a pretty easy thing to do then. And I would guess that schools would not look favorably upon a positive test. (Yes, understatement).

I don't know the answer with certainty, but I would assume that they do test. It would be a very stupid reason to get your acceptance rescinded.

I'm pretty sure you gotta get a physical before you go to school. Drug testing seems like a pretty easy thing to do then. And I would guess that schools would not look favorably upon a positive test. (Yes, understatement).

I don't know the answer with certainty, but I would assume that they do test. It would be a very stupid reason to get your acceptance rescinded.

They can't drug test you at your physical without your knowledge

Members don't see this ad :)
They can't drug test you at your physical without your knowledge

Oh I know that. I meant that sometimes physicals do involve a drug test. I think one for medical school would.

Oh I know that. I meant that sometimes physicals do involve a drug test. I think one for medical school would.

Nah... at least not for all schools. The physical is pretty much the same you would get during a yearly checkup. Height, weight, BP, eyes, ear, making sure you have all of your shots

Nah... at least not for all schools. The physical is pretty much the same you would get during a yearly checkup. Height, weight, BP, eyes, ear, making sure you have all of your shots

I did not know that. Definitely good to know.

Still, if I were the OP, I would be careful. If for some reason you were drug-tested (or possibly caught with drugs by police) that might not end well for you.

Yeah... I think patients don't want doctors to be on drugs.

There is no drug testing done upon matriculation though it can be done before rotations.
Drug testing will only be done at your physical if you request it.
Edit; I was wrong. It varies school by school

Last edited:
Just curious,

are_u_on_drugs.jpg

I am going to start school at LECOM in 7 months and they do require drug testing along with a physical exam and slew of vaccinations. I am pretty sure most med schools require a drug test as part of matriculation requirements. Most of them require criminal background checks, too.

I am pretty sure they would not be happy if your test was positive. Especially since you know when you are going to your PCP to have this stuff done and if you can't abstain long enough to have a clean test you probably do have a substance problem.

There is no drug testing done upon matriculation though it can be done before rotations.
Drug testing will only be done at your physical if you request it.
Edit; I was wrong. It varies school by school

Is the test in the form of urine samples only?

As other have said, some schools drug test and others don't. Of those that do, many will give you ample (2 months) notice before sending you in for the test, so it's really more of an intelligence/self-restraint test than anything else. Usually, it's just a urine sample.

My school tested us at the beginning of MS1. If you failed the test, you had to meet with the deans, but were allowed to retest with no major consequences (granted, the "fails" I've heard of were all marijuana related, nothing harder). The test is a one-time deal for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
As other have said, some schools drug test and others don't. Of those that do, many will give you ample (2 months) notice before sending you in for the test, so it's really more of an intelligence/self-restraint test than anything else. Usually, it's just a urine sample.

My school tested us at the beginning of MS1. If you failed the test, you had to meet with the deans, but were allowed to retest with no major consequences (granted, the "fails" I've heard of were all marijuana related, nothing harder).

Thanks, also to clarify, the reason of "nothing harder" is found because the harder drugs leave your system within two-three days.

But, it is good to know there is an advanced notice.

It is always nice to know what the consequence of an action is, and the best way to "mitigate" it; not necessarily mean I am currently taking this action.

Haha, I was teasing. Regardless, though, while you are applying it is probably wise to stay away from abusing drugs. Of course, it'd probably be wise to stay away from illegal (or unprescribed) drugs in general, esp. as someone going into medicine.

Thanks, also to clarify, the reason of "nothing harder" is found because the harder drugs leave your system within two-three days.
OP, I just love the juxtaposition of your username and the topic of this thread. :rolleyes:

I know that a lot of schools state right on their website that they "reserve the right" to drug test incoming students. Still not sure how many actually do.

We didn't get tested before M1 but some rotations if you are placed at a certain facility require may require it. Either way, it is just peeing in a cup...

Moral of the thread:

Only take harder drugs that pass faster ;)

Moral of the thread:

Only take harder drugs that pass faster ;)

Yes. haha

I wonder if it depends on location too. I'm up in New England working full time at a hospital during my year before matriculation and there is no drug testing policy pre-employment at my hospital. The only way they can test you is if you seem "impaired" on the job and your supervisor initiates an inquiry.

I've only had to do it a few times for jobs and for volunteer positions.

At one hospital I was at a nurse was found dead in the bathroom after ODing on stolen drugs. A few others were fired for using as well. Everyone that worked/volunteered at the hospital was tested.

I thought it might be like random "piss-tests" that college athletes take during school, but I guess not. I've never heard of anyone having to do one from any school. I don't think they should either, if you're smart enough to get into med school, you're probably smart enough to not do heavy drugs or control it extremely well to the point it doesn't interfere with anything important.

just to echo whats already been posted, some schools test at the beginning, some don't. Its probably best to find out about particular schools before you matriculate so you can quit using before you have to test.

Ya mean I have to choose between med school and my meth habit?

Solution: stop smoking dope