Drugs for step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how are you guys learning drugs. I haven't started my serious studying yet but based on how my themes throughout the year have gone to this point.. the pharmacology is usually the first thing to leave my memory and its usually the component I hate studying the most.

Obviously for the boards we have a huge amount of drugs we are responsible for but I was hoping anyone could offer some pharmacology specific advise for Step I before this cycle just begins to repeat itself as I begin board studying next week.

Thanks, gl to all, and happy new year!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are weak in pharmacology then I would suggest reading the intro chapters (Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics) & ANS in its entirety from an actual textbook like Brenners. I think it is extremely beneficial to understand these fundamental topics especially since pharm on the USMLE is all about MOA & side effects.

You may even find that FA pharm is easier to memorize when the basics make sense. Reinforce with UW and you will break the vicious cycle.

If you are weak in pharmacology then I would suggest reading the intro chapters (Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics) & ANS in its entirety from an actual textbook like Brenners. I think it is extremely beneficial to understand these fundamental topics especially since pharm on the USMLE is all about MOA & side effects.

You may even find that FA pharm is easier to memorize when the basics make sense. Reinforce with UW and you will break the vicious cycle.

I agree. More than half of the pharm on my step 1 was what I bolded above.

Brenner's Pharmacology Flash Cards
You can get them here:
http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacology-Flash-Cards-George-Brenner/dp/1416031863

I thought they were great. The Lippincott pharm book was my resource if I wanted more detail.

I agree with the person above: know pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics and ANS pharm.

Remember that you're almost always tested over only three concepts when they're asking about a drug:
* clinical use - they describe a condition and ask 'which drug is most appropriate?'
* mechanism of action
* side effects

They don't test over 'what is this specific drug's volume of distribution or route of administration or dosage', so don't waste your time.
I think side effects are more heavily emphasized than anything else. First Aid is good for antibiotic side effects.

The Brenner flashcards break everything down by drug class, so you can sit down and go through all the endocrine drugs, and then all the blood drugs and etc. This helped me a lot - I started to see patters emerge where I didn't see them before.
Good luck!