MichaelC

Student
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Who gets depressed and decides to drink over their chances of being accepted into med school?

Me, I guess.

Finishing my freshman year of undergrad with a 3.0 GPA and I'm pessimistic about the future.

Silverman780

The Exalted Grand Poobah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2009
Looking at at tree in Oregon, USA
Status
Pre-Medical

Jun 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
way too early to be calling it quits brother. chin up, it gets better

OP
M

MichaelC

Student
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Actually I'm not calling it quits. I just got done studying for the night and I'm watching Community.

Jun 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
curious how you are finishing freshman year. it's november, and finals must be at least a month away for you. time, no?

OP
M

MichaelC

Student
Oct 29, 2010
Status
The 3.0 is a prediction for me, it will be almost accurately in that area by my math (I keep pretty close tabs on it).

As for finishing in November, that's the result of taking college courses while in high school and already having some credits completed. I will have thirty-one credits done at the end of this semester.

Jun 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
if your goal was jhu or the like i might (might) have the same complaint. just know that brand name isn't everything when it comes to med schools and 1 semester won't kill you. 18K is quite a few new students each year, and more than a few of the best will attend WVU, NEOUCOM, and even the "second level" UVA, Maryland, etc. it's possible to graduate with a 3.8+ even with a semester of 3.0 - you'll be good. It's your first semester. don't stress

OP
M

MichaelC

Student
Oct 29, 2010
Status
Well, it is my first year going by the 120 credits needed for an undergrad degree. But you're right, I'm not trying to get into Harvard or anything. I just need to show an upward trend.

My Biophysics major might require extra classes past the 120 credits, though, so I guess that is good provided I do well.

WeAreNotRobots

doctor of medicine
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
u.s.a.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just need to show an upward trend.
yeah right. check the threads: people get are getting rejected daily with 3.7+/32+. i'm not saying it's all about the stats, but you have to make yourself desirable to schools in some way, and a 3.0 is not a good way to start.

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
yeah right. check the threads: people get are getting rejected daily with 3.7+/32+. i'm not saying it's all about the stats, but you have to make yourself desirable to schools in some way, and a 3.0 is not a good way to start.
And I know plenty of med students with 3.5/28 credentials. Study hard and be a decent person, OP; you'll be alright.

mulberry

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Maybe it's your major. Change to something like Biology, this will help.

SFO-IST

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
OP, I have two pieces of advice for you.

If you're getting ~ 3.0 or below try taking a quarter off and auditing classes for majors you aren't thinking of. Getting A's in an "easy" major will do much more to help your med school app than getting B's in a major that you perceive will help you in med school like bio-sci/engineering.

"the only to be truly satisfied with your work is to do great work, and the only way to do great work is to do what you love" as one dude once put it. good luck and kick some butt!

OP
M

MichaelC

Student
Oct 29, 2010
Status
I volunteer.

WeAreNotRobots has a point, but I think he's being defeatist. While I hate those kids with the low GPA's who think they deserve to be doctors just because they've wanted it since five years old, I think having pure interest in it helps.

And the low GPA isn't from the material being hard, it's from starting college and not caring until recently.

phltz

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Who gets depressed and decides to drink over their chances of being accepted into med school?

Me, I guess.

Finishing my freshman year of undergrad with a 3.0 GPA and I'm pessimistic about the future.
I finished college with a 3.0, and so far my application seems to be doing well. I've got interviews scheduled for Penn, Mayo, and Michigan. It's definitely not too late to pull your **** together. Figure out where you're going wrong and fix it. You'll be golden.

Subscapularis90

Removed
Nov 3, 2010
Status
I finished college with a 3.0, and so far my application seems to be doing well. I've got interviews scheduled for Penn, Mayo, and Michigan. It's definitely not too late to pull your **** together. Figure out where you're going wrong and fix it. You'll be golden.
Wow that's awesome. That's an inspiration for me since after two years of college my gpa is a meager 2.7, and im lost as to how to pull my sh!t together. Im curious as to how you managed to pull this off? Are you a non-trad with some crazy life experiences? Are you a URM (im not implying in any way that you got those interviews because of being a URM, im sure there's more to it than that, im just curious)?

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Wow that's awesome. That's an inspiration for me since after two years of college my gpa is a meager 2.7, and im lost as to how to pull my sh!t together. Im curious as to how you managed to pull this off? Are you a non-trad with some crazy life experiences? Are you a URM (im not implying in any way that you got those interviews because of being a URM, im sure there's more to it than that, im just curious)?
I'm wondering this as well...

Sep 2, 2010
Status
Podiatry Student

Me, I guess.

Dude. Calm down. Take it from someone who is a bit older than you (25 years old now). The world is not about to end.

I finished my freshman year with a ****ing 2.4

brought it up to a 3.1

even with a 3.1 i have plenty of options still if i REALLY WANT A MD. I can get a Masters degree and then go...

Or I can do DO

Or I can do Podiatry

The world is not going to end my friend!

phltz

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I'm a non-trad, non-minority. My life experiences have, in fact, been a bit crazy. My undergrad GPA was pretty lousy, but it was at least at a good, tough school. I've done some research, was a Peace Corps volunteer, did extremely well in a postbacc program last year, and then nailed the MCAT. You can come back from a mediocre academic history, but it takes a lot to pull off. And, happy as I may be to have the interview invited I currently have, I don't yet feel like I've definitively pulled it off yet. Presumably in another few months I'll know for sure.

Mar 5, 2010
☜♥☞
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I'm a non-trad, non-minority. My life experiences have, in fact, been a bit crazy. My undergrad GPA was pretty lousy, but it was at least at a good, tough school. I've done some research, was a Peace Corps volunteer, did extremely well in a postbacc program last year, and then nailed the MCAT. You can come back from a mediocre academic history, but it takes a lot to pull off. And, happy as I may be to have the interview invited I currently have, I don't yet feel like I've definitively pulled it off yet. Presumably in another few months I'll know for sure.

:thumbup:

Woland

Perpetual n00b
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2010
OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Aside from that, all you need to do is drink up, relax, and work harder tomorrow. Even if you really do make a 3.0 for your freshman year, you still have 3 more years to make up for it. A 3.0 isn't the worst place to start from. Many people come close to failing their freshman year.
I second that.

Just don't drink to drown your sorrows, man. Grab some friends, go out and drink at the some bar (if you are old enough), meet a future ex-wife or two. Drink up to recharge after hard months of work. You'll truck on again tomorrow with a fresh hung over and a new increased GPA goal.

(where is a "raise a beer" smiley?)

OP
M

MichaelC

Student
Oct 29, 2010
Status
While everyone is right, and you just need to relax, I find what you said in the quoted post a little unsettling. I've met countless people in my life (and have been guilty of it myself) who say things like, "I could have done X, but I just didn't care/didn't put in the effort/had other things to do." If you need to justify it to yourself, that's fine, but as far as I know, med schools don't care about your potential (Ex: "While this guy has a 2.3 GPA, he seems to be pretty smart based on his personal essay, why don't we admit him?"); they care about what you actually have done.

All I'm saying is that no matter how smart you think you are, if you don't put in the effort, then what does it matter?

Aside from that, all you need to do is drink up, relax, and work harder tomorrow. Even if you really do make a 3.0 for your freshman year, you still have 3 more years to make up for it. A 3.0 isn't the worst place to start from. Many people come close to failing their freshman year.
More or less, I didn't care until I had to start supporting myself more. I started working minimum wage jobs and said to myself, "I hate this. I want to do something I'm interested in that challenges me more and makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something." That's when I started opening my textbooks. Before that, I had never had a job in high school. The real world just kind of tackled me.

Many jobs that require degrees falls into the above criteria, but medical science is what interests me the most. Though, I've often wondered if I should go the research route instead.

A lot of people in this thread were right, I was being pretty neurotic. The alcohol didn't help, and I probably need to work on keeping my stuff together more under pressure if I want to be successful in medicine. What also didn't help was probably also having to take a trip and feeling behind on homework, but I set up a study group today and I'm paying someone for their notes. I don't see the point in killing myself with no sleep when I can be smart about it and still learn the material.