argonana

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2005
735
1
NYC
How many times do you wear it before dry cleaning? 1, 2, 3, 4????????

I have noticed that dry cleaning has made my suit lose its shine (er, sheen). Has anyone else had this problem?
 

TracksuitsRock

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
227
0
Status
Medical Student
argonana said:
How many times do you wear it before dry cleaning? 1, 2, 3, 4????????

I have noticed that dry cleaning has made my suit lose its shine. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have been having mine dry cleaned in between every interview or every 2 interviews. I haven't noticed any loss in quality or I wouldn't do it as often. I know the amount I do it is probably neurotic, but since I have been flying a lot and folding up the suit in that suit luggage compartment in my suitcase, once in a while there are wrinkles that I would rather get out by dry cleaning than by messing up my suit with an iron and my stupidity.

If I had a job that I had to wear a suit for, I'm sure I would dry clean it much less. But since these interviews are soooo important, I'm like, whatever, I'll look as spiff as possible.
 

1SwtWrld

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2005
164
0
Status
Instead of dry cleaning the suit try getting it pressed. This will prolong the life of the suit. It is only necessary to dry clean if there is a stain or something else on the suit.
 
About the Ads

TracksuitsRock

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2005
227
0
Status
Medical Student
1SwtWrld said:
Instead of dry cleaning the suit try getting it pressed. This will prolong the life of the suit. It is only necessary to dry clean if there is a stain or something else on the suit.
Oh yeah that is what I meant. I usually get it pressed, only dry cleaned once when there was a stain.
 

Camillekc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
175
1
New York
Status
I second that. I got my shirt drycleaned, and it came back stained and I have to wear it tomorrow. I really liked that shirt and I'm really sad.
 

newdude

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2005
336
0
Status
what's the diff. between pressed and dry cleaned?

i used to get dry cleaned and now i will get it pressed. thanks guys for inputting on this thread.

so i can press the jacket and pants.
should i do the same thing for shirt?

i don't do anything to the tie. do you guys do anything.
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
pressing just takes out the wrinkles...they steam it and press it to put the creases back in so it looks like it's been cleaned, but there's no chemical cleaning agents used.

you can do this for shirts as well, but if the shirt's been worn, you might as well have them wash it (and shirts, with the exception of some obscure fabrics, are washed by the cleaners, not actually dry cleaned).

as for the tie, you definitely don't do anything to it. dry cleaning is horrible for ties. there are some ways to treat stains if absolutely necessary, but for the most part, ties should be left alone.
 

ExtraAverage

This is new and exciting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
114
2
Status
Medical Student
jbrice1639 said:
as for the tie, you definitely don't do anything to it. dry cleaning is horrible for ties. there are some ways to treat stains if absolutely necessary, but for the most part, ties should be left alone.
Hmm.... I had no idea.

I used to dry-clean my suit after every interview... but that's only because I sweat like a 14 day old piece of pizza... :eek:
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the important question here is why on EARTH are you wearing a SHINY suit? Did Don Johnson or the Temptations loan you one of their jackets? For the love of GOD man - nothing SHINY!!
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
Camillekc said:
I second that. I got my shirt drycleaned, and it came back stained and I have to wear it tomorrow. I really liked that shirt and I'm really sad.
Take it back. They should at least reimburse you for a new shirt. (Not that it helps you for tomorrow.)

I'm assuming that you had your shirt laundered rather than drycleaned. If not, you should. It is a lot cheaper.
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
Flopotomist said:
I think the important question here is why on EARTH are you wearing a SHINY suit? Did Don Johnson or the Temptations loan you one of their jackets? For the love of GOD man - nothing SHINY!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe he needs to do a lot more drycleaning!
 

Freakedout

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2003
173
0
Visit site
Status
Flopotomist said:
I think the important question here is why on EARTH are you wearing a SHINY suit? Did Don Johnson or the Temptations loan you one of their jackets? For the love of GOD man - nothing SHINY!!
sorry but i get sick of reading you sarcastic comments, everyone once in a while is okay, but for the love of god anything thats comes out of your mouth or in this case your hand... is another pathetic attempt to be funny :rolleyes:
 
About the Ads

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Freakedout said:
sorry but i get sick of reading you sarcastic comments, everyone once in a while is okay, but for the love of god anything thats comes out of your mouth or in this case your hand... is another pathetic attempt to be funny :rolleyes:
i'm not really sure that was sarcastic, it sounded pretty dead on...i mean, really...a SHINY suit?!
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Freakedout said:
sorry but i get sick of reading you sarcastic comments, everyone once in a while is okay, but for the love of god anything thats comes out of your mouth or in this case your hand... is another pathetic attempt to be funny :rolleyes:
pathetic attempt at being funny would be if I said. "Freakedout.. step away from the keyboard, and step towards your medication."
 

isobel

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
223
0
Status
Pre-Medical
aaaanyway. a suit made of a fine, well woven fiber will have a sheen. the OP probably meant that, not shiny.
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
Freakedout said:
another pathetic attempt to be funny :rolleyes:
I don't care if you think Flo's comments are pathetic, I think they're funny! :thumbup: :D

This may have been said by someone on SDN before, but no one if forcing you to read these posts.

We are discussing shiny suits for god's sake. If you want to be so serious, go find a thread about dying babies or horrifically diseased yaks.
 

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
13,152
2
Status
Medical Student
Flopotomist said:
pathetic attempt at being funny would be if I said. "Freakedout.. step away from the keyboard, and step towards your medication."
flopotomist--i love your posts
 

Pretty POHA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
1,546
0
Lakewood, CO
www.perilouslyprecocious.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Nikki2002 said:
flopotomist--i love your posts
Ditto. Now seriously, about this SHINY SUIT?
 

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
341
0
43
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Flopotomist said:
I think the important question here is why on EARTH are you wearing a SHINY suit? Did Don Johnson or the Temptations loan you one of their jackets? For the love of GOD man - nothing SHINY!!
Thank you Flop for saving me the trouble of pointing this out!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was gonna recommend getting it dry-cleaned twice-a-day from now on!!!

Either that or you can Turtle-Wax the suit to keep that glossy sheen between performances.
 

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
5,794
20
46
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
Flopotomist said:
pathetic attempt at being funny would be if I said. "Freakedout.. step away from the keyboard, and step towards your medication."
Flop, your posts always make me laugh and I appreciate your contribution to SDN... just wanted you to know! :thumbup:
 

anon-y-mouse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
1,382
13
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Get your suit pressed, as others have said. Shine is not good - hello, polyester :) I hope you have a nice wool suit. Use a proper garment bag, the plastic stuff you get from the dry cleaners will just induce static and you'll get random dust all over your suit. Do NOT get your suit dry cleaned more than 2-3 times a year - it's really not good for it at all... it could be the reason the color has faded somewhat. Happy interviewing!
 

newdude

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2005
336
0
Status
anon-y-mouse said:
Get your suit pressed, as others have said. Shine is not good - hello, polyester :) I hope you have a nice wool suit. Use a proper garment bag, the plastic stuff you get from the dry cleaners will just induce static and you'll get random dust all over your suit. Do NOT get your suit dry cleaned more than 2-3 times a year - it's really not good for it at all... it could be the reason the color has faded somewhat. Happy interviewing!
what type of bag do you suggest b/c i have notice that problem but i thought it was b/c it was dark suit.
so after i get the suit back, i should take it out of the bag and put it in one of those suit carrying things which you can fold in half. or are those bad as well.

i have that bag, which you can put the suit in and then fold it on it self once, i'm kind of afraid to do that.

any thoughts
 

anon-y-mouse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
1,382
13
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I use a garment bag ("fold up style") - I use it as my carry-on, and take a messenger bag with me for other stuff. (obviously never EVER check in luggage if you're going for interviews).

Dust is going to be a fact of life, but that's completely increased by the static from plastic drycleaner bags... and always keep a suit zipped in the bag when not using it, and it shouldn't get dusty.
 

newdude

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2005
336
0
Status
anon-y-mouse said:
I use a garment bag ("fold up style") - I use it as my carry-on, and take a messenger bag with me for other stuff. (obviously never EVER check in luggage if you're going for interviews).

Dust is going to be a fact of life, but that's completely increased by the static from plastic drycleaner bags... and always keep a suit zipped in the bag when not using it, and it shouldn't get dusty.
that's exactly what i'm planning to do. and you are not worried about folding it.

but the other bag is kind of big for me so i have to check it in, b/c it has sleeping bag and stuff. so i shouldn't check it in?
 

badlydrawnvik

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
662
0
Status
how about ties? my favorite tie has a really small stain on it that you can see from certain angles, it's really just my ocd that picks it out probably, but it's a really nice tie and i've heard getting a tie dry cleaned really ruins its shine.
 
About the Ads