DS-2,3,4: what should DS1's do before entering d-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all you wise and knowledgable dental school veterans out there, I was just wondering if there was something that you did BEFORE starting dental school that really helped you out?

Did you read up on your classes before the semester started?

Did you take a Big vacation because you knew you were going to be stuck for a while?

Tell me your stories. :D

Members don't see this ad.

There really isn't anything you can do to prepare you for dental school. We all have different abilities and different backgrounds. Reading course material probably won't help much because you simply don't know how much the professor will rely upon the reading.

At my school, although reading is given, the bulk of exams (99%) comes from lecture syllabus information.

Reading would be a very poor use of time, in my opinion.

Do whatever you like to do. Dental school is busy, but it isn't impossible. I have more free time now than I ever did in undergrad.

1st off congrats on your acceptance. i think that you will love UMKC. UMKC was my second choice and i am glad i did not get in there because it would have made it very difficult for me to decide between UMKC and IUSD.

now to answer your question, i would say just relax and do all the things considered "fun". as gavin mentioned, you really never know what you will need till you get to school. sure there are certain things that will most definitely come handy to you (i.e tooth anatomy, dental terminology, etc etc). However, you will have more than enough time to learn those things while you are in dental school. things like cell bio, gross anatomy, physiology will be valueable but chances are you will forget them anyways.

to be honest with you, i think that you should just enjoy your time and have all the fun you can.

Enjoy your freedom.

Dental school is not so difficult that you need a head start in order to excel, particularly for students with your academic track record.