DSM V Diagnoses on Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a question in UWorld which describes a mother distraught over her daughter's death by drowning one year ago. The mother blames herself for the accident, for leaving her with her family. She feels alone without her daughter, angry about the incident, and avoids driving past the house where the drowning occurred. She cries about the vent and feels numb, sometimes wanting to die to be with her daughter.

I ended up picking persistent complex bereavement disorder, even though I had never heard of it, only because I felt that best described her symptoms. That was the correct answer. Then I realized that I could easily see how on Step 2, if I saw that, I might think "oh that's not even a real diagnosis" and not select that answer choice.

Other answer choices were adjustment disorder, bereavement, major depressive episode, PTSD, etc. She does not meet criteria for MDD (only has a few of SIGECAPS), and symptoms have persisted for too long for bereavement or adjustment disorder to be correct, so by process of elimination persistent complex bereavement disorder makes sense. The answer explanation lists diagnostic criteria for persistent complex bereavement disorder citing DSM V.

I guess we are expected to know DSM V new diagnoses for Step 2 CK?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering that damn book just came out and probably NONE of us have read it or been taught it, I can't see how that can be expected. With that said, it probably is, lol! :sleep:

There is a question in UWorld which describes a mother distraught over her daughter's death by drowning one year ago. The mother blames herself for the accident, for leaving her with her family. She feels alone without her daughter, angry about the incident, and avoids driving past the house where the drowning occurred. She cries about the vent and feels numb, sometimes wanting to die to be with her daughter.

I ended up picking persistent complex bereavement disorder, even though I had never heard of it, only because I felt that best described her symptoms. That was the correct answer. Then I realized that I could easily see how on Step 2, if I saw that, I might think "oh that's not even a real diagnosis" and not select that answer choice.

Other answer choices were adjustment disorder, bereavement, major depressive episode, PTSD, etc. She does not meet criteria for MDD (only has a few of SIGECAPS), and symptoms have persisted for too long for bereavement or adjustment disorder to be correct, so by process of elimination persistent complex bereavement disorder makes sense. The answer explanation lists diagnostic criteria for persistent complex bereavement disorder citing DSM V.

I guess we are expected to know DSM V new diagnoses for Step 2 CK?

Q ID # to check it out?

Well, think about it from those answer choices.

1) Not having to adjust to something in an adjustment disorder sense.
2) 1 year is too long for bereavement.
3) MDD is probably the closest right answer, but if there aren't 4 out of 7, it's not MDD.
4) PTSD doesn't make sense.

There are some questions in Step 2 that are by process of elimination. I believe this happens to be one of them. Post the QID so we can glance at the actual question real quick.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, DSM 5?

[ain't nobody got time for that.gif]

Last edited:
One change I could imagine being on CK is Aspergers now being called/falling under autism spectrum disorder since it got so much publicity as of late. Just a thought.

One change I could imagine being on CK is Aspergers now being called/falling under autism spectrum disorder since it got so much publicity as of late. Just a thought.

I'm not sure how to approach issues now that DSM V is out...

For instance I think they got rid of all the different types of Schizophrenia. Will the test reflect this? Has UWorld eliminated the questions which are no longer valid i.e. the Schizophrenia classifications?

I have not seen uworld change anything as of yet. I think we are just panicking about the unknown. Hopefully everything will still be in our realm of knowledge. I am sitting for the exam on Wednesday. I'll be sure to update!

Well, think about it from those answer choices.

1) Not having to adjust to something in an adjustment disorder sense.
2) 1 year is too long for bereavement.
3) MDD is probably the closest right answer, but if there aren't 4 out of 7, it's not MDD.
4) PTSD doesn't make sense.

There are some questions in Step 2 that are by process of elimination. I believe this happens to be one of them. Post the QID so we can glance at the actual question real quick.

It's extremely unlikely in light of the process that takes place for a question to make it to that test.

I agree with you evilbooyaa, all good points. As I mentioned in my OP: "by process of elimination persistent complex bereavement disorder makes sense" and is really the best choice for that question. Hence I picked it. Just was surprised with the DSM 5 references in the explanation.

Good point POW16... any DSM 5 material will probably take years to pass the review process and appear on 2CK.

Also with all this being said, I have now taken Step 2 CK and will say that there were not any psych questions on my exam from DSM V material / new diagnoses.

DSM V will remain off the USMLE for at least a couple years. I've tried to figure out but since it just came out from speaking with a few ppls it seems like at least 2 yrs