Quantcast

Dual Certification vs Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruralemt

Reaction score
I have been looking at various dual certifications in emergency medicine and either family medicine or internal. A lot of the dual ones are 5 years but it's possible to do a 3 year family med with 1 year of emergency med fellowship. Why would anyone choose one over the other? Both board certify you in both specialities but why would someone choose one path over the other?

DrMidlife

has an opinion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Try the combined residency forum. Read for an hour before you post a question.

Reactions: 1 user

AdmiralChz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at various dual certifications in emergency medicine and either family medicine or internal. A lot of the dual ones are 5 years but it's possible to do a 3 year family med with 1 year of emergency med fellowship. Why would anyone choose one over the other? Both board certify you in both specialities but why would someone choose one path over the other?

Briefly, I don't think you can get ABEM (American Board of Emergency Medicine) certification as a "fellowship" out of Family Med - the only way is through an ABEM-certified residency program. So this FM fellowship is likely a more rural-based experience, where EM-certified physicians are in quite short supply (presumably).

DrMidlife

has an opinion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
an FM fellowship in EM and/or CC prepares you for rural-ish practice in a smaller hospital. the training isn't generally located in a rural hospital but in a trauma center. ABEM has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

tatsuchi

Reaction score
If you want to be accredited by the ABMS for practice in both EM and FP, you have to do a dual residency. There is no other way.

If you want to be boarded in FP by the ABMS, which is recognized pretty much everywhere in the US, then take your chances and get boarded in EM by the ABPS after a 1 year fellowship and hope that you will be recognized in wherever state you practice, be my guest.

But the ABEM will not recognize 1-year EM fellowships, no.