Hi guys,
So I have been looking around SDN for a while and I can't seem to find a straightforward answer to my questions.
Here is my background: I am a dual citizen of USA and Canada (although I have lived in USA my entire life). I am currently an undergrad in the USA at a competitive school and applying this June. I have a 3.98 (4.00 science) and a 37 MCAT. I am also a resident of California. I am probably interested in going into a competitive residency like surgery.
I am highly considering applying to Canadian medical schools because they are significantly cheaper than US schools.
- Let's assume I want to return back to USA for my residency. How difficult will this be? I get the sense that Canadian graduates are treated as 2nd tier in the matching program but I am not sure. What additional steps do I need to take while in Medical school to enable myself to apply to US residencies?
- If it is indeed difficult to match into a USA program, and therefore I need to do my residency in Canada, how hard is it to then come practice in the USA afterwards?
- After answering the above questions, what pathway would you recommend I follow?
Thanks!