Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lipitor20mg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance letter for pharmacy school (c/o 2013), and my school offer Dual Degrees. I've always been certain with PharmD, but what compels people to get their MBA or JD as well? Isn't pharmacy what they wanted to do? Or is there limitations in our field that requires two degrees? So, I don't know if I should go for the dual degree. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance letter for pharmacy school (c/o 2013), and my school offer Dual Degrees. I've always been certain with PharmD, but what compels people to get their MBA or JD as well? Isn't pharmacy what they wanted to do? Or is there limitations in our field that requires two degrees? So, I don't know if I should go for the dual degree. Any thoughts?

I am doing an MBA but only because the subject interests me and I can still finish in 4 years. I also plan on doing a residency though. You have to realize- pharmacy is a business. Yes as pharmacists our job is to worry about the healthcare of others, but if there were no profit in it, it wouldn't exist. That being said, i'm interested in knowing about both sides of the coin. Personally thats why i'm doing my MBA

Depends on what you want to do in your career. I am pursuing a PhD, because I am interested in going into academia where I plan to teach and do research.

Like Mike36 said, it really depends on what you want to do. I'm currently getting my MPH and starting pharmacy school in the fall. I do want to be a pharmacist, but at the same time, I also want to do focus on health education and disease prevention.