Dual-residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nontradpredent

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, is it possible to apply to two different states as a resident? For example I live in CA and will apply to schools here however I was thinking of moving to another state for a yr e.g. Texas and also apply there as a resident. Is this possible? Thank you
 
When you move to another state, typically, in order to establish residency, you must give up your residency in your old state. For example, I moved from FL to GA. When I moved to GA, in order to establish my residency, I had to turn in my FL driver's licence and get my GA driver's license, change my car registration, prove that I am living somewhere and using utilities, etc. Last summer, I had to move back to FL and needed to change everything back. When I went to apply to dental school for fall 2016, GRU no longer considered me a resident because I will have lived in FL for a year prior to the start of classes.

Plus different schools will have different requirements for what is considered to be "in-state".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
fogorvostan, thank you sir I see. Makes sense, I'll check my specific schools requirements. Congrats on starting d-school soon, thanks