Dudes, what do we wear to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DickVetPlease

Mizzou 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did a quick search for a thread answering this, but couldn't find anything. I was wondering, what are all the guys wearing to the interviews? Formal suits? I have a navy blue blazer with matching navy pants that look pretty formal when worn together, but its not technically a suit...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mom and I went shopping Wednesday before the holiday. It was agonizing. She kept making me try on hideous pirate shirts and schoolmarm cardigans. Ugh. We finally settled on a designer sweater I couldn't afford, pencil skirt, and nice shoes. Good enough, I suppose...better than a hot pink pirate shirt in any case!
 
Oh don't worry, I know way better than to try to choose my own clothing 😳

Wise man :laugh:

Since it looks like the female contingent has already hijacked this thread for our own purposes (unless there are boys going to their interviews in pencil skirts...), do you all think that a traditional oxford is the best way to go with a black pants suit, or would mixing it up with a less serious shirt be okay? I have yet to acquire said suit (shouldn't have interviews for a few months, planning to shop over Christmas), but I'm already thinking that suit + traditional oxford may = boring, frumpy, and too old (I'm 20) for me. Any suggestions?
 
I've been wondering about that lately even though I don't have an interview yet. I assumed that I'd need to buy a suit and all of that. But, my concern is actually quite stupid. hair is my thing. I've never been the type to gel my hair, or comb it to either side. Would it look bad to just wear it like I normally do? or should I figure out a way to do something to it. Again, I know it's kind of a stupid thing to be thinking about even before I know if I even got an interview.
 
I'm curious --- are most of the girls wearing a suit? Is there anything wrong with black pants and a dress shirt?
 
Well dressing for guys is easy mode. Tailored suit not made out of polyester in a flattering color, no pleats, snappy tie, italian loafers, matching belt. Badabing badaboom. Every guy looks good in a great suit!

I'm not wearing a suit jacket. They look frumpy on me, and I refuse to be frumpy!
 
I'm curious --- are most of the girls wearing a suit? Is there anything wrong with black pants and a dress shirt?

I'm really lanky and don't feel like being uncomfortable in a suit that's not going to fit anyways, and I don't really have the money to get anything altered. So I'd rather wear a nice pair of dress pants and a sweater/button up...even a pencil skirt. I don't feel that you have to wear a suit to look professional.
 
I wore a charcoal gray suit that had a very light pink pinstripe with a pink shirt under. I was originally resistant to pink, but was great because it stood out from all of the navy/black/wool suits with white shirts. As for my hair, I just wore it as always -- down, straight, parted down the middle.
 
I just got home from buying a suit. The experience was not as painful as I thought it would be. I ended up with a dark gray suit and bought several button-up shirts to go underneath it (one light blue, one lavendar, one white). I'll probably go with the blue for my first interview. I plan on wearing my hair down and straight (it's about shoulder length) because I will fuss with it the least if it's that way (plus, of the few things my hair is capable of doing, it usually looks neatest).
 
I DO NOT wear skirts at or above the knee - I have no manners and I hate hosiery. So, suit all the way for me. I bought a black Express suit a few moths ago at a store that gets overstock, so it was a good price. I plan to wear a brightly colored button-up shirt under it, just to stand out a bit. Green, purple, dark red, whatever.

Umm, I've mentioned this before, but I suppose I'll mention it again. The suit that I wore two years ago no longer fits me (the jacket does, the pants do not). I paid like $250+ for the pants and jacket from Ann Taylor. They are very nice, and worn for like, 30 minutes (not like I needed a tour, you know).

Pants are 4P (though I'm about 5'6" so they really aren't that short!) and the jacket is 00P (but it seems pretty standard for someone with a small frame.

So if you wear size 0-3-5 jeans, are about 5'6" and ~110 lbs, message me! I'm looking to sell (for way less than $250 😉 ).

And back to the normally scheduled thread.
 
I just went suit shopping on Wednesday and I got this fabulous little dark grey suit (jacket with pants) and a blue shirt, as well as a white shirt with purple stripes for underneath. I have to say, I look ridiculously tall in it, haha. My 5'7" frame with my inch heels...WOAH. I already feel taller than most girls and this is not gonna make it any easier. On the plus side my prada shoes are FABS with the suit. too excited!
 
i just bought a suit a couple days ago. Try macy's, they had just about everything on sale. My first suit experience cause im from maui and we just wear aloha shirts on special occasions back home, but the suit buying was not half as difficult as I thought it would be and its actually kinda fun wearing the suit. I have the same question about hair. I don't know whether to gel it or not cause i never really gel my hair but I feel like i gotta do something with it. U think i'd look ridiculous with a fedora?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just went suit shopping on Wednesday and I got this fabulous little dark grey suit (jacket with pants) and a blue shirt, as well as a white shirt with purple stripes for underneath. I have to say, I look ridiculously tall in it, haha. My 5'7" frame with my inch heels...WOAH. I already feel taller than most girls and this is not gonna make it any easier. On the plus side my prada shoes are FABS with the suit. too excited!

Haha I so know how you feel! I'm 5'8" with no shoes so I pretty much stick to flats 😉 Plus I've never been the most graceful of people either!
 
Hi everybody,

During your interview, you will be judged on how you come across and what you say. Dressing less than other applicants is a risk I wouldn't recommend taking. You should ask yourself, do you REALLY WANT to go to vet school, or are you just kind of considering it? You are interviewing to become a DOCTOR, and professionalism counts.

I used to work in a corporate environment, and I can tell you that when it comes to the etiquette of professional attire, amateurs tend to make the same (obvious) mistakes, listed below.

WOMEN
-the most common mistake is not wearing a suit. Showing up to a professional interview in a nice sweater is NOT good enough.
-Another common mistake is wearing a tank top or lacy cami under your jacket instead of a blouse or nice dress shirt. Just because it has lace on the top or you look hot in it, doesn't mean its professional. If you can't remove your suit jacket and still look professional, then its not professional.
-Wearing pants that are too tight or a skirt that is too short.
-SHOWING CLEAVAGE. Dude, just don't go there.

MEN
-WEARING THE WRONG COLOR, part 1. Men have way stricter rules than women do. A "professional" interview is a step above your common job interview, so no tan, gray or green suits. Stick with solid black, charcoal, and navy.
-WEARING THE WRONG COLOR, part 2: Don't wear a bright colored shirt, and avoid wearing a bright/loud tie. Don't wear pink unless you're Donald Trump. A loud/bright/unusual tie takes away from your appearance and makes you look arrogant. Wear the loud ties AFTER you get in.
-WEARING THE WRONG SIZE. Guys almost always pick out a jacket that's too big. Do yourself a favor, and go to the Men's Warehouse or equivalent. Have someone ELSE (not your Mother!!!) measure you and get you fitted. A half inch makes a HUGE difference.

During the Davis interview orientation last year, they said at least 3 times to wear a suit. So unless your school states otherwise, I would go all out and wear a suit. I am very small and so I had a hard time finding a suit that fit me in the shoulders. The smallest sizes were still too big, and I hated the high waist style of all the pants. So I went to Banana Republic and paid $400 for a suit that fit. That was my choice though, most people will find something at Macy's without spending very much.

GUYS--seriously, dont let your mom or girlfriend pick out your suit. The expectations for men are way different than women. Do yourselves a favor and find a Men's Warehouse or equivalent and let your mom/girlfriend come with you for support. Men's Warehouse has lots of suits for under $200 and their sales associates are well trained.

GIRLS--Wear a suit and remember that there is a fine line between looking your best and looking totally hot. Look your best.

Hope this helps.
 
-WEARING THE WRONG COLOR, part 1. Men have way stricter rules than women do. A "professional" interview is a step above your common job interview, so no tan, gray or green suits. Stick with solid black, charcoal, and navy.

I think a dark gray suit is fine. In fact charcoal is dark gray.
 
Haha I so know how you feel! I'm 5'8" with no shoes so I pretty much stick to flats 😉 Plus I've never been the most graceful of people either!

i'm over 5'9" and always, always, always wear heels with a suit even though i am not graceful either and much prefer tennis shoes. Embrace your height and wear those heels - for one they look SO much better than flats and two, they make everything hang better (and you look thinner) .

Your suit will look mucho, way better with heels than flats. Trust me on this one. Flats are for middle school, seriously.
 
GUYS--seriously, dont let your mom or girlfriend pick out your suit. The expectations for men are way different than women. Do yourselves a favor and find a Men's Warehouse or equivalent and let your mom/girlfriend come with you for support. Men's Warehouse has lots of suits for under $200 and their sales associates are well trained.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why everyone is suggesting that your mom pick out your suit if you're male (mostly in previous threads linked to above). My mom does not know much of anything about men's formal wear. On the other hand, my dad, who has been a business man for 30+ years, is very well versed in knowing what types of things look good for professional attire, and has helped me weed my way through shirt collar sizes, appropriate types of shoes to wear, tie patterns, and continually reminding me that my pants must be pulled up much higher when wearing dress pants. Plus with my dad, it's not all this doodling around trying to look at every single different option that Macy's has. We go in, find stuff that fits, maybe look at one or two more options, and then we're out of there. I'd add on another hour of shopping if I were with my mom.

I only have one suit that I've outgrown, but when I will hopefully be interviewing next year, the first person I'm going to ask to bring with me to go suit shopping is my dad.
 
I disagree. A sexy wink also does wonders to smooth things over after a bad interview.

HAHAHAHA! Nice...

Also the sad thing is that I know a lot about men's formalwear since I worked in a formalwear shop for a couple years but I will be totally lost when it comes to women's stuff! Mainly the fit anyway, since I've never had to get a suit for anything. At least I have another year to prepare! :laugh:
 
Bill59, you are totally right. When I mentioned avoiding gray I was referring to the lighter grays. Charcoal is a very dark gray and is a great color to choose because of its versatility.

I think a dark gray suit is fine. In fact charcoal is dark gray.
 
I definitely agree with what's been said for women: wear a suit and wear heels. I wore a nice tailored black pants suit with a very light peach colored dress shirt underneath. I'm very tall (5'11") and busty, so finding a suit that fit pretty well before tailoring took some time. I made an appointment at Nordstrom's and had a consultant help me pick stuff out; they know their stock and how things fit, so it saved me time. Then, they just walked me down to the shoe department while I was still wearing the suit and helped me pick out a nice pair of heels that worked with the suit and that way the tailor knew how long to hem the pants. Since I'm tall, I went with a low-to mid heel, and I still feel like an amazon, but the heels really make a difference in how everything hangs...they make me feel more confident too. I definitely spent some money, but I figure as long as I don't change sizes too much, I can wear it to conferences.

When I interviewed, there were women wearing suits, and some without, and I think those who were wearing a nice suit just looked more polished and professional.
 
Can I just whine here about having to dye over my bright pink hair if I get an interview someplace? Of course I will do it - I know I would have to, but it will make me very sad. 🙁

edit:

I'd have to buy another suit too. When I interviewed at Davis in Feb 08 I was 5 pants sizes and 4 jacket sizes larger than I currently am. It sucks, I really liked that suit too!
 
Yes you can totally whine. Pink is an awesome color and hey, its hard to dye your hair pink. I'm assuming you had to strip it first, then dye it?

My sympathies are with you, Nyanko.

Can I just whine here about having to dye over my bright pink hair if I get an interview someplace? Of course I will do it - I know I would have to, but it will make me very sad. 🙁
 
Lots and lots of bleach, and lots and lots of time!

img1259462490970.jpg


This is relevant because it was taken on October 2nd of this year after a lot of last minute scurrying around. 😉
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I just whine here about having to dye over my bright pink hair if I get an interview someplace? Of course I will do it - I know I would have to, but it will make me very sad. 🙁

edit:

I'd have to buy another suit too. When I interviewed at Davis in Feb 08 I was 5 pants sizes and 4 jacket sizes larger than I currently am. It sucks, I really liked that suit too!

Can you get a good quality wig? I wish I'd done that before for job interviews. Nothing worse than dying over a bright color, then finding out you can keep it that color, then frying your hair bleaching out the black.
 
-WEARING THE WRONG COLOR, part 2: Don't wear a bright colored shirt, and avoid wearing a bright/loud tie. Don't wear pink unless you're Donald Trump. A loud/bright/unusual tie takes away from your appearance and makes you look arrogant. Wear the loud ties AFTER you get in.

Is maroon a bright color? Also have a maroon tie with black stripes. I think it looks nice but mayhaps not.
 
I was thinking about wearing a piano key necktie. kidding. I have no clue what to wear, my grandpa is all about suits, he even has a 'suit guy'. I'll just let them pick everything out, and they won't pick bright colors. I have no eye for fashion. (of course this is all contingent on whether or not I get an interview)
 
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=1775657

I wore shoes very similar to these for my interviews. I probably should've worn heels, but we were told not to wear heels out at New Bolton and it snowed in Minnesota, so I'm glad I didn't attempt heels up there. Mississippi...eh, probably should've worn them there, but I wore a skirt suit and I have small ankles so I don't think they looked too bad. I should've worn hose at Mississippi though - we got a talk on the dress code while there for our interviews, and it specifically stated hose. Seems a little outdated, but folks interviewing down there be warned! Oops.

I compensated for the flats with a very nice, tailored, well-fitting, conservative suit (skirt suit for Mississippi, pants + sweater + button down for New Bolton, pant suit for Minnesota). Obviously you don't need 3 different outfits, but I already had the pant suit for interviewing for internships in NYC, and my mom was convinced that I needed to wear a skirt in Mississippi (we are southern...its what we do)...so I bought a skirt that matched my original suit.

I think the key is to be conservative so that people aren't focusing on your clothing (which they will do if you look tacky, underdressed, etc) but are instead focusing on what you're saying. To that end, I would NOT wear colored (or very tall) heels - remember...embrace! Professional! Conservative! You're not trying to look cute! 🙂

On another note, I refused to go shopping for new button down shirts for aforementioned prepurchased suit until I got an interview. Didn't want to jinx myself, haha.
 
Is maroon a bright color? Also have a maroon tie with black stripes. I think it looks nice but mayhaps not.

Maroon is a good color. It is not bright, its a dark red. I think good colors are maroon, navy, dark green, grey, etc etc

But i dont think there is anything wrong with picking lighter colors. just make sure they aren't bright or pastel. this is confusing, but i mean some ties are striped with dark colors and a lighter one... like this
http://www.menswearhouse.com/wcssto...cts/division80/881282830/881282830_F09_DF.jpg
Kind of hard to see, but as you can tell in that one section there are lighter squares mixed with the navy.

I love ties lol sometimes i wish i were a guy just so i could pick out awesome ties all the time! haha i def make sure my dad is up to date with his tie collection every christmas 😀
 
are tall heels really that much of a faux pas? I have a pair of pretty tame black kate spade heels i was planning to wear but they are probably 3in. I figured since i am 5'2" (if i stretch it haha) that they might make me look like a little less of a munchkin
 
I think its fine if you can actually walk in them hah. I actually prefer higher heels (since i'm short too...plus it makes you look thinner!)
 
Hey There,

As a guy, I thought I'd chime in.

I personally did the same, with my suit. I went to my "suit guy". My advice to anyone is try to get your parents to do that as your christmas present. Doesn't work for everyone, but its a great way for your parents to support you in veterinary school and really help you out.

I went to Brooks Brothers for my suit and it was worth every penny. My dad paid for it and it was my one and only birthday/christmas present of the year. But it was so worth it.

I did a dark charcoal suit with very faint white stripes. Like you can't see the white stripes unless you are standing in front of me. They really take care of you at a real men's store and got me fitted CORRECTLY.

Also stay in the muted range of shirts and ties. Make sure you bring an extra shirt/tie with you as well! I always brought an extra shirt and tie, just in case I say spilled in the morning, then I could at least change to something clean.

On top of that, for Winter weather, I encourage you to find a great outercoat. Wearing that great warm coat, that is covered in dog hair, just won't work in a professional interview.

I got a full length black coat, and not only does it look great, but I was warm as all get out. Definetely worth it! And when you take your coat and lay it on the chair in the interview room, you look that much more professional.

In the end, I really suggest going to a good men's store and making an appointment. That way you can get really fitted and look your best. As much as I love my mom, sister, etc... they really do NOT know what is the best in the professional world to wear to an interview.

And guys, please PLEASE no clip on ties....ugh...can't say enough about that one.

Anyway good luck!
 
I got a full length black coat, and not only does it look great, but I was warm as all get out. Definetely worth it! And when you take your coat and lay it on the chair in the interview room, you look that much more professional.

You talking about your outer coat or your suit coat? I've never warn an outer coat to an interview and just unbutton the button on my suit coat when I sat down.
 
You talking about your outer coat or your suit coat? I've never warn an outer coat to an interview and just unbutton the button on my suit coat when I sat down.

oh i was thinking outer coat like a black dress coat. because unless you go to the south it will most likely be really cold.
That is a good point though. What type of coat do you wear? I only have 2 dress coats one is short and leather (not really that warm) and one is a long pea coat that would be really warm. BUT it is tan. like this http://www.wintercoatsjackets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/metrostyle-Long-Wool-Coat-1.jpg (of course, less stylish and more dressy).

My suit is black. Would it look totally tacky if i wore a black suit and tan coat?? would i have to wear a tan dress shirt under my suit so it would match more? i feel like i would freeze my butt off with my short leather coat cuz its thin and i have a SKIRT suit so the longer coat would help.

advice??
 
A tan coat will be fine. Tan is a classic long coat color - think camel hair coats. My parents are both professionals (trial lawyer and doctor) and both have long, camel hair coats that they wear with darker colored suits. I wore a long tan colored coat (very similar to the one you posted) to my Minnesota interview. You probably won't wear it all day anyway - they had a coat rack in the hallway for us at Minnesota so we could strip off our outerclothes. You don't want to be all sweaty going into your interview! 😉

You don't need to match your shirt to your coat.

Just to make you feel better: If Burberry and Saks put them together, so can you. 🙂

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...408474395222441&bmUID=1260488526861&ev19=3:34
 
are tall heels really that much of a faux pas? I have a pair of pretty tame black kate spade heels i was planning to wear but they are probably 3in. I figured since i am 5'2" (if i stretch it haha) that they might make me look like a little less of a munchkin

As long as they are pretty plain (closed-toed) and you don't look like a hooker or that you're about to go clubbing, you should be fine. 😛
 
A tan coat will be fine. Tan is a classic long coat color - think camel hair coats. My parents are both professionals (trial lawyer and doctor) and both have long, camel hair coats that they wear with darker colored suits. I wore a long tan colored coat (very similar to the one you posted) to my Minnesota interview. You probably won't wear it all day anyway - they had a coat rack in the hallway for us at Minnesota so we could strip off our outerclothes. You don't want to be all sweaty going into your interview! 😉

You don't need to match your shirt to your coat.

Just to make you feel better: If Burberry and Saks put them together, so can you. 🙂

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...408474395222441&bmUID=1260488526861&ev19=3:34

good point!! thanks 😀