Duggan s course feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trintrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

am planning to join Duggan s course.... please give me some feedback about it.... is the training worth it? is it enough for the bench exam? I have heard some people say that he s on the phone.... is that true?

please help....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Actually i am too planning to join the Duggan Course and i am collecting details about it..So if u can tell me,

1) When do the course run? How early we need to register? I mean are there particular time during the year they keep courses or any time one can take?

2) Fees for different courses - 9 days 18 days etc.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Guys,

am planning to join Duggan s course.... please give me some feedback about it.... is the training worth it? is it enough for the bench exam? I have heard some people say that he s on the phone.... is that true?

please help....

Well, yes he is on the phone a lot trying to sell materials. He will talk alot about things just to waste time. He is very carefull about not giving too much information during the course. A lot of people that I talked to have the same complaint that he is not available during the session.
I learned some basics from him and practiced a lot after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I TOTALLY AGREE with waiting09. Back then I was so scared of this stupid bench exam that I would just sit there and let him talk down ( not literally ) but he makes you feel like crap for your preps! Constantly on the phone, CONSTANTLY visiting his wife or SOMEONE is there to visit him and then hes always editing his stupid photographs...talks about STUPID stuff and doesnt really give you any useful advice unless you show him some $$$$$....ARH....I just didnt like him and I feel I gained 40-45% of the knowledge required because if you ask him a question he will NEVER EVER EVER give a straight answer. Just my thoughts!

So, whats the best way to practice for these irritating bench tests? If you are fresh out of college or been out of practice for a long time and your hand skills are rusty whats the solution? Please anyone who has gained admission through bench tests please reply.

Toothfairy is right. Duggan is always on the phone, playing with photos, visiting wife,etc during your course time. He just doesn't care one bit and is super cheap. I took his WREB course and I don't think he even bothered to read the manual. Plus he asked for a deposit for DVDs and after we returned the DVDs and wanted the deposit back, he didn't want to give it back so we ended up having to argue for it. So be warned. He does know how to prep teeth though, that's for sure.

hey i have a similar question as WaltonG..I ahve been asking this to a lot of ppl but simply no one has gave the satisfatory answers..All r saying either Duggan Course ( Sounds Bad!), watching his dvds, Go to some California School ( UCLA i suppose)..But its nt that easy..i think one has to get registered for their courses whenever they are held which may not necessarily according to our needs ( Suppose bench test of some uni. is approaching and they dont have batch at that time) and above all no one seems to be perfectly satisfied even after taking these costly courses..

So if some one has better idea pls do share..

The problem is that there is not much competition with these prep courses so you don't have much choice. Duggan does teach you how to do preps and has a good eye, but you need to be assertive in making him get off of the phone, etc. to give you attention. I think the reason that he does what he does in terms of talking on phone, visiting wife, and so on is because most foreigners in his class are too polite to say anything and he can get away with it. That was my impression. After you learn what you need to know, just practice on your own. It's really quite unfortunate that he just doesn't care too much about his students, just the money. So if you can be assertive and tell him to get off of his computer when he's supposed to be teaching, then you might benefit. If you are too shy or polite, he'll take advantage of that and be visiting his MD wife downstairs. In general, he's not too honest and luckily not a practicing dentist or he'd be trying to get every penny out of patients. But as said, he does have a good eye in evaluating preps and telling you what's wrong.

Thank you guys,

The replies were great eye openers.
I have also come to know about Dr. Stevenson in ucla who takes a similar course. I do not know about his reputation though.

Does anybody have an idea about that?

Thanks!

Thank you guys,

The replies were great eye openers.
I have also come to know about Dr. Stevenson in ucla who takes a similar course. I do not know about his reputation though.

Does anybody have an idea about that?

Thanks!

Hi trintrin,

I did not do any course but borrowed duggan's dvds & UCLA bench test preparatory manual (textbook) from one of my mentors, both sources were good and helpful to me. I practiced at home as well as in nearby dental clinic so that it (mentor dentist's critical opinion) helps to recognize tooth prep mistakes.

I agree, Duggans manual and dvd's should help and save you $$$$$.....also UOP has a manual that is EXTREMELY good and worth the money.

i so strongly agree with all of you....its a super expensive course without any one on one attention expected after paying so much..when i took duggans..he was running an implant course in the same room to 3-4 dentists and he was more interested in teaching them than us ..i guess they were even paying more than us lol...he would just take a little break to critic us and thats all:( ..he also tries to sell lot of stuff from his so called store..we were 4 students and we all got rejected from colorado:(( practice urself..best bet !! and have a dentist critic u :)

I agree, Duggans manual and dvd's should help and save you $$$$$.....also UOP has a manual that is EXTREMELY good and worth the money.

hello,

can u pls tell me where to get UOP manual?i hav heard abt it before too but never really knew where to get from..is it available on their website?if not pls do share how did u get it or best way to get it..

thanks..

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
can someone please tell how to get UOP manual .and also did anyone joined duggan's online course for bench test.what is the difference between Columbia typhodonts and Kilgore .which tooth should be used for practice and which one will they give in bench test.so many questions .can anyone please pls help me with my confusion
thanks

Last edited:
Hey fremont,

Columbia and Kilgore are 2 different companies and different dental school uses different typhodonts so basically the thing is whatever school for which u r preparing, u need to ask them..Most of the North eastern region schools ( NYU BU UMDNJ etc) uses Columbia while Many of western region schools use Kilgore.. I know Colorado for sure..

The difference is in consistency of tooth, tooth contacts etc.. Kilgore has less tight contacts compared to Columbia..Kilgore has wide Buccal contacts ( when u prepare class 2 so u need to go more buccally to break the contact)

Good Luck..

Hey guys, I took the 18 days course at Dr. Duggans this year & it was an amazing experience for me. I enjoyed the class so much that I think I might go again to get even better. Thank God I got accepted this year & I wish you all the best... I have certainly improved in many aspects. Now I know how to hold the bur straight & how to make 90 degrees in class 2 preps v. easily. I also learnt how to do flares, offsets, grooves, bevels & a clean regular smooth chamfer & an angled shoulder and measure that. Not to mention that I was always confused on how to measure my reduction/clearance in a simple way i.e not using rubberbase as an index (its time consuming) & Dr. duggan showed me how.

Moreover, I want to make it really clear that he does give everyone in the class 1 on 1 assessment. Everytime you finish your prepration & you think that this is the best you can do he comes with his loupes and shows you where you went wrong on a screen where you see what he sees with his loupes. This really makes it v clear for you because you see everything magnified & he stays with you till he makes sure you understand what you did wrong. He also does a mock exam where you get to do like six preps & then 1 on 1 he comes and marks your preps & with his loupes tell you exactly where you made a mistake. He even writes it for you in a special form indicating all the requirements for each prep.

It even gets better if you are interested to use loupes he has like 8 loupes that you can try with different magnifications & designs. This gives you the oppertunity to know how its like to make preps with loupes & if you are comfortable with them or not before you actually buy one. Because you may get the wrong magnification or working distance & waste your money but now at Dr. Duggans you can try the 2.5x & the 3x etc & see which 1 you are more comfortable in also the working distance & so on...

For me it was not just that I did not have a car to come from the hotel, they have an extra car that they gave to me & we were 4 students staying at the same hotel so we used it together back & forth from the hotel...It was v nice of them to do that. We where staying at the travelodge & the light was dim at night & I wanted to pactice some waxing & I was asking them where I can buy a lamp/lantern they let me borrow 1 of theirs... So believe me when I tell you that i really improved & that its was worth every dollar. I also enjoyed it & felt that everyone there is trying to help.

As for the burs and instuments no 1 makes you buy something that you dont want to...Its just that some instruments/burs make your life easier & give better results than others so its up to you if you want to tke Dr. Duggans advice or not to buy a certain bur/instrument or to get new ones instead of the ones you burnt -because using dull burs is catastrophic...
I believe that having the burs & instruments we need for our preps at the same place where we take the calss makes it v convinient for us. Because most of us are not from L.A. & we dont have cars so imagine everytime you wanted to get a bur you went to a dental store to buy it. Just imagine the time you are going to waste not to mention that you might get lost.... Also the gas and above all the effort. How many times would you be going becouse almost daily you are learning new preps that might require an additional bur/instrument. They really make it v convinient for us if you look at it this way...And for those who want to practice on both kilgore & colombia but only have 1 of them you can rent the other from them.

Moreover, after the class we used to stay some days till 8 O'clock in the evening to practice, free of charge. So tell me what more do you need to get better.

I certainly got way better & with the 1 on 1 help of Dr. Duggan -who was present with us all the time during the course helping everyone- I did not only get accepted in an international program but I also enjoyed it so much. Sorry if I wrote too many lines & if you have any questions please feel free to ask me, take care & I wish all of you the best.

I completely agree with silver took a 9 days course recently .Truthfully speaking Dr Duggan makes every effort to teach you . All of us got 1 on1 attention.My hand skills got so much better . If you are looking for some good learning experience Dr Duggan is the choice.

Hey guys, I took the 18 days course at Dr. Duggans this year & it was an amazing experience for me. I enjoyed the class so much that I think I might go again to get even better. Thank God I got accepted this year & I wish you all the best... I have certainly improved in many aspects. Now I know how to hold the bur straight & how to make 90 degrees in class 2 preps v. easily. I also learnt how to do flares, offsets, grooves, bevels & a clean regular smooth chamfer & an angled shoulder and measure that. Not to mention that I was always confused on how to measure my reduction/clearance in a simple way i.e not using rubberbase as an index (its time consuming) & Dr. duggan showed me how.

Moreover, I want to make it really clear that he does give everyone in the class 1 on 1 assessment. Everytime you finish your prepration & you think that this is the best you can do he comes with his loupes and shows you where you went wrong on a screen where you see what he sees with his loupes. This really makes it v clear for you because you see everything magnified & he stays with you till he makes sure you understand what you did wrong. He also does a mock exam where you get to do like six preps & then 1 on 1 he comes and marks your preps & with his loupes tell you exactly where you made a mistake. He even writes it for you in a special form indicating all the requirements for each prep.

It even gets better if you are interested to use loupes he has like 8 loupes that you can try with different magnifications & designs. This gives you the oppertunity to know how its like to make preps with loupes & if you are comfortable with them or not before you actually buy one. Because you may get the wrong magnification or working distance & waste your money but now at Dr. Duggans you can try the 2.5x & the 3x etc & see which 1 you are more comfortable in also the working distance & so on...

For me it was not just that I did not have a car to come from the hotel, they have an extra car that they gave to me & we were 4 students staying at the same hotel so we used it together back & forth from the hotel...It was v nice of them to do that. We where staying at the travelodge & the light was dim at night & I wanted to pactice some waxing & I was asking them where I can buy a lamp/lantern they let me borrow 1 of theirs... So believe me when I tell you that i really improved & that its was worth every dollar. I also enjoyed it & felt that everyone there is trying to help.

As for the burs and instuments no 1 makes you buy something that you dont want to...Its just that some instruments/burs make your life easier & give better results than others so its up to you if you want to tke Dr. Duggans advice or not to buy a certain bur/instrument or to get new ones instead of the ones you burnt -because using dull burs is catastrophic...
I believe that having the burs & instruments we need for our preps at the same place where we take the calss makes it v convinient for us. Because most of us are not from L.A. & we dont have cars so imagine everytime you wanted to get a bur you went to a dental store to buy it. Just imagine the time you are going to waste not to mention that you might get lost.... Also the gas and above all the effort. How many times would you be going becouse almost daily you are learning new preps that might require an additional bur/instrument. They really make it v convinient for us if you look at it this way...And for those who want to practice on both kilgore & colombia but only have 1 of them you can rent the other from them.

Moreover, after the class we used to stay some days till 8 O'clock in the evening to practice, free of charge. So tell me what more do you need to get better.

I certainly got way better & with the 1 on 1 help of Dr. Duggan -who was present with us all the time during the course helping everyone- I did not only get accepted in an international program but I also enjoyed it so much. Sorry if I wrote too many lines & if you have any questions please feel free to ask me, take care & I wish all of you the best.

Looks like someone is hard selling.:D

I just wanna thank u for all the tips you gave me to improve my hand skills. The 9 days I spent in in ur office really changed my life, and now im the happiest person on earth because I got accepted in loma linda .

I took Dr. Duggan's course in this June. I am the only student for the 9-day course and got 100% attention from him. I guess I was very lucky! Dr. Duggan is very nice and has very sharp eyes. After the class he gives a DVD and model for the preps exactly the same as the ones in that DVD. I know many people on sdn already had pirate copies of his DVD. But believe me, with the real model beside you when you practice for the bench exam(you can only get model from his class) your skills will get much better.

You never know your mistakes in preps unless someone who is highly experienced in this particular field shows to you. So without wasting my time to watch DVDs I joined Dr.Duggan's 9day course. He makes things pretty clear so we know each step's practical importance. No doubt about his hand skills.
Furthermore they didn't force me to buy instruments from there. Their office manager is a very kind American lady (Meghan Brown). she gave me the list of all required instruments in advance and suggested me to search for materials on E-bay or from Dental school stores if I can get at a cheaper rate. How honest was that! If there are limited students they even give their Handpiece to use for free.
With little more personal attention from Dr.Duggan would make this course unbeatable. May be 18 days course will do that.

wow, looks like duggan has seen this thread and gotten a few people to write positive reviews..lol

I took Duggan course for 9 days:mad:I didn't get any benefit from it,I left my family and a kid for nothing. At last,I felt so stupid and lost my confidence. I spent more than 7 K for nothing. You are going to buy a bunch of instruments even if you have them,teeeeeeeeth, and say nothing handout book. I just want to inform others,and thanks God I am in a dental school now:)

I hated every minute of it and felt like i wasted so much money. I m from Canada and initially wanted to take the 18 day one but when I got there and saw what a scum bag he was and how rude and money minded he was I couldn't wait to get out of there. He is so arrogant and his son and sons wife are totally in on how to scam ppl too. Initially they will tell you that they will let you use typhodonts and handpieces and by the end they will add on charges and deny they ever told you that. I went to two other courses after that in Canada and both were wayyy better. Esp the one in Toronto. They have amazing instructors and can use the facility the whole year and wayy less money. Plus there manikins are in proper dental chairs and the units actually have water which btw duggans never had. The only one good thing I liked about the whole thing was the TV screens that he hooks up to show you your mistakes and how to fix it. But two thumbs down for duggans.

is anybody willing to lend the dvds for sometime?

Looks like someone is hard selling.:D

LOL you said that right!
Honestly if there were 10 good things said and 1 bad review, I wouldn't have chosen it!
When we put in so much time, effort and money, it should be worth it! :thumbup: NO JOKE!

does anyone know where I can take a course in San Francisco. I have an interview and Bench coming up in a month and I really need to start something ASAP . I would really appreciate feedback!

There are certainly pros and cons about this course. yes, I did learn crown prep, which I didnt know before,and how to perfect my class II. However, Duggan doesnt spend much time with you during the session. He is always outside, on the phone, or typing away on his computer.Not only that, he was always late to start class (while everyone was waiting for him outside to open the door). Its a costly course and you should be able to get what you paid for. Every single person who was in my class has not got into a school that required a bench test to get in. So the result in no way are 95% as they had claimed on their website. There are not many options out there, so Duggan may be your best bet for people like me who didnt now pfm, 3/4 crowns etc. Be prepared that if you want to learn anything extra you have to pay extra... I know the UNJMD (i think that is the initials for the new jersey school) has a program that is a little more extensive around $5000. I also have heard good reviews for those canadian programs. FOr the san francisco area, there was also a guy who was doing courses in milptas (you have to search old posts to find it). Good luck to all. I know its frustrating, expensive, and tiring...but just hang in there!

Gosh! We can't resist ourselves peeking through this forum! Isn't it rainbowbright?:)

Hi trintrin,

I did not do any course but borrowed duggan's dvds & UCLA bench test preparatory manual (textbook) from one of my mentors, both sources were good and helpful to me. I practiced at home as well as in nearby dental clinic so that it (mentor dentist's critical opinion) helps to recognize tooth prep mistakes.

I know YTD, ur pretty much over with d.school.
But anyone here has duggans dvd??

I'm taking the Clinical Skills next yr and would like to start practising at home.My email is [email protected]. How do i get my hands on these items to improve myself.Tnks.

i know someone who is selling the dvds.. is anyone willing to share them in buying it? PM me

I would like to discuss advantage and disadvantages of duggans course. I will start with the disadvantages-

1- It is way to expensive than what you pay, they will charge you two times of every small thing like burs, hand instruments. They know they will get their fees, they want to make more. So they have a small room with lots of dental material that they will push you to buy. Every morning after lecture Duggan will give you long list of burs and instruments to buy. Beacuse you pay so much for course, so you dont want to waste time, so everybody ends buying.

2- He gives every morning the lecture for 3-4 hours that can be finished in max hour and half. So you technically have half day after lunch to practice and show him for feedback. In my batch he comes only 2-3 times after lunch practice to see the preps. So max of half hour I got his attention and to show preps. He is constantantly on the phone just outside the building or in his office. He basically pass his time so that when 4.30 pm he can leave th office with big smile.

3- His has one girl who picks phone, distribute supplies, she is good girl, but convince students to have a course.

4- I didnot get in any of the california school after the course, so this course did not help me.

Advantage-

1- Duggan has the knowledge, experienced and very intelligent.

2-He has a good eye to tell mistakes in your prep.

Suggestion- When I went for the course before my exam, I met somebody who was in school, he said he would have trained me for few $ for the college requirements and would have guided me.

So try to contact students from the college where you get interview,as every college as different requirements and guidelines. If you dont get a hold for somebody, take out the WERB OR NERB guidelines, that what every college wants. You should know the basics like- depth of pulpal floor eg-1.5-2mm, adjacent teeth not to be nicked, your bur should be parallel to long axis of teeth, cahmfer should be .5mm, shoulder 1-1.2mm etc.

Ask me if anybody has questions, I practice lot by my self. That helps. Improve your CV like volunteer work, good letters etc.there is no limit of imrovement keep doing , keep working, you will get success.

Good luck..!

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to discuss advantage and disadvantages of duggans course. I will start with the disadvantages-

1- It is way to expensive than what you pay, they will charge you two times of every small thing like burs, hand instruments. They know they will get their fees, they want to make more. So they have a small room with lots of dental material that they will push you to buy. Every morning after lecture Duggan will give you long list of burs and instruments to buy. Beacuse you pay so much for course, so you dont want to waste time, so everybody ends buying.

2- He gives every morning the lecture for 3-4 hours that can be finished in max hour and half. So you technically have half day after lunch to practice and show him for feedback. In my batch he comes only 2-3 times after lunch practice to see the preps. So max of half hour I got his attention and to show preps. He is constantantly on the phone just outside the building or in his office. He basically pass his time so that when 4.30 pm he can leave th office with big smile.

3- His has one girl who picks phone, distribute supplies, she is good girl, but convince students to have a course.

4- I didnot get in any of the california school after the course, so this course did not help me.

Advantage-

Suggestion- When I went for the course before my exam, I met somebody who was in school, he said he would have trained me for few $ for the college requirements and would have guided me.

So try to contact students from the college where you get interview,as every college as different requirements and guidelines. If you dont get a hold for somebody, take out the WERB OR NERB guidelines, that what every college wants. You should know the basics like- depth of pulpal floor eg-1.5-2mm, adjacent teeth not to be nicked, your bur should be parallel to long axis of teeth, cahmfer should be .5mm, shoulder 1-1.2mm etc.

Ask me if anybody has questions, I practice lot by my self. That helps. Improve your CV like volunteer work, good letters etc.there is no limit of imrovement keep doing , keep working, you will get success.

Good luck..!
Thank you for the valuable advice my friend. I have a question, what are the WERB abd NAREB?? For me I do not have an intend to spend money on courses; however I am so worried about the bench exam and I just do not want it to ruin my application since I worked hard to make it as it is now. At first I just want to know what things should we buy to start practice by ourselves? and what is the approximate cost for the bench exam shopping? where to buy the stuffs ? is there any websites with videos that might help? any one who knows information about this issue please help and share, it is better to be prepared ahead of time.
Thanks in advance

I TOTALLY AGREE with waiting09. Back then I was so scared of this stupid bench exam that I would just sit there and let him talk down ( not literally ) but he makes you feel like crap for your preps! Constantly on the phone, CONSTANTLY visiting his wife or SOMEONE is there to visit him and then hes always editing his stupid photographs...talks about STUPID stuff and doesnt really give you any useful advice unless you show him some $$$$$....ARH....I just didnt like him and I feel I gained 40-45% of the knowledge required because if you ask him a question he will NEVER EVER EVER give a straight answer. Just my thoughts!

hi all

i need help with this

i have applied for the michigan dental school

can anybody tell me how is this school

Hi
Can any one please tutor me in for clinic skills in Winnipeg??
thanks

Advantage-

Good luck..!
1) Every students is provided a material list w/ estimated costs prior to registration. They are given this and encouraged to acquire materials before they arrive for class.Materials are not free. Invoices are checked by the staff and student before a payment is taken. So if items that were double invoiced to you, the error was corrected, without a problem.
2) Lecturing is an important part of this course. Some lectures are longer than others but certainly not 3-4 hours each. After the first day the lectures are usually around 1-2 hours depending on the class.
3)Class size depends on the time of year. Most of the time we allow 8-10 students at a time. When a class is at 10 students and someone calls in and has an exam soon and pleads for us to take them in that class We do not turn people away. So despite the amount of work and strain it puts on Dr. Duggan and myself we make it work for everyone.
If you had a poor experience perhaps you could have stated these concerns on our evaluation forms or to us in person. Many changes have been made from students suggestions and evaluation forms.
If you applied to more than one school, took a practical exam and did not get admissions and you actively participated and practiced at home using our on-line portion you would have been able to join the course again for FREE. Every student between 2009- 2011 was made aware of this and it was stated on our website.

The best decision was to go and learn with Dr. Duggan!! Dr. Duggan is the best at teaching, very knowledgeable on the subject, tells you exactly what to need to improve and is very honest when giving you a critict, gives the best advice to excel during the bench test being very specific on what the schools are looking for and what you need to improve to do the best job you can and be at the top!! I just had a baby when I went to Dr. Duggan, Megan was so kind, gave me a room so I could go to pump, had breakfast and lunch for us, snacks and fresh vegetables from Dr. Duggan garden, the days where long and intense but it was well worth it, it felt like a family and home, Megan gave me so much advice about how I should answer on my interviews with different schools and most of the questions she trained me where actually asked on my real interviews, I was out of shape with my hands, haven't touch a hand piece in a while, I thought I may not have a chance on a idp program, but after this class I felt confident that I knew what I was doing, how to talk, what to say, and I got calls from all the schools I applied and about to start my idp Program at Loma linda University, I will recommend you to go with Dr. Duggan 100'/, he is th best!!!

I went for the 10 day FRT course in August and I think that should have been my first step once I had my Colorado interview. I really regret going to other places rather than Duggan because of the expenses but in the end I ended up adding more expenses. Dr. Duggan and his staff are really helpful. I was in a batch with 6 students so we were lucky to have all the attention by Dr. Duggan. He's very patient in letting you know about your mistakes and how to correct them. I think he showed me the same things multiple times. I would suggest you all to devote your time to practice at the institute after the course. Bench test is really critical to your acceptance.
Meghan is really nice and caring. She was a great support when I almost had a nervous breakdown. Dr. Duggan's student assistant was also very helpful.
You won't regret joining the course. Things people are telling you are from the past and may be the years when the competition was not tough so everyone took it lightly but now even the staff at Duggan institute understands how tough it is to get accepted. And they will really try to keep you motivated towards your goal.
If you don't feel confident with your preps, don't go for short term courses like 2 day or 4 day.
Experience at Duggan Institute will also help you in school after you get accepted.

Advantage-

Good luck..!
Hi,

Thank you so much.

How to get to contact the current students/residents of the program. Is that ok to ask the program for their contact information?

Thanks