DUI and CNA certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I applied early and broadly (24 schools). I interviewed at 4 schools, but did not get into any of them. I got a 28P on the MCAT and have about a 3.9 GPA. I've shadowed, done research, and volunteered. I'm strongly considering retaking the MCAT, but I'm afraid that even if I improve my score I may not get in because I got a DUI this last November (2007). I'm also considering getting my CNA. What can I do to improve my application for the 2009-2010 year?

Members don't see this ad.

This year I applied early and broadly (24 schools). I interviewed at 4 schools, but did not get into any of them. I got a 28P on the MCAT and have about a 3.9 GPA. I've shadowed, done research, and volunteered. I'm strongly considering retaking the MCAT, but I'm afraid that even if I improve my score I may not get in because I got a DUI this last November (2007). I'm also considering getting my CNA. What can I do to improve my application for the 2009-2010 year?

Hmmmmmmmm, I have my concerns about getting a DUI in the process of applying, was curious what the excuse behind that is. I would say it wont KILL your situation but you did make your case worse especially because its REALLY recent and occured during the same time your applying to med school. But again NOTHING is impossible, but gezzz why why why, lol, you have so much promising stats::rolleyes:

If you reapply with the DUI freshly on your record, I think you can pretty much kiss your chances of getting into med school good-bye. I'm not saying that there's no chance, there's always a chance, but your chances seem very, very slim. If you're still willing to give it a go, you can always re-take the mcat, pray for an insanely high score, and reapply.

The thing with a DUI is that the only thing that can remediate it (if there is anything; I'm not sure if there is because that kind of behavior is simply inexcusable-- med schools just aren't looking for irresponsible physicians) is time and evidence that you are really, really sorry and have learned your lesson and will never ever do it again. Talk to high school kids and teach them about the consequences of drinking and driving, etc. Who knows, maybe that will help. However, if I were you, I'd start looking at the Caribbean if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was very irresponsible, and I explained that to the schools I applied to. The thing is that it won't ever happen again and the admissions committee should not see this one mistake as the only implication of my capability to be a good physician. Having a DUI on my record does reflect poorly on my judgment, but everyone makes mistakes.

Are you already convicted of DUI or are you still in the court process?

That is going to hurt, but your MCAT is also hurting you. I think it comes across strange when someone with a very high gpa has a below average MCAT. Retaking the MCAT may help if you can improve.

Also, I'd call a few schools and try to talk openly about your situation. Maybe they can give you a few idea on how to overcome the DUI thing.

Check out some DO schools as well.

I'm already convicted of the DUI. I have appointments set up with the schools I interviewed at to discuss my application and I will ask them what they recommend I do to overcome my conviction. Thank you for the advice gman33. I think I will also take Silas2642's advice and try to talk to a driver's ed. class about the consequences of drinking and driving.

I'm already convicted of the DUI. I have appointments set up with the schools I interviewed at to discuss my application and I will ask them what they recommend I do to overcome my conviction. Thank you for the advice gman33. I think I will also take Silas2642's advice and try to talk to a driver's ed. class about the consequences of drinking and driving.

Try and pm LizzyM (I think that is her screen name on sdn) who is an adcom member and see what she has to say on this matter and also do a search-- I think that a DUI is pretty much a kiss of death for US schools, but you should definitely research your options and find out if there is any way out of this mess. However, given your status-- your relatively low mcat and your conviction, I'm relatively confident that you're fried. I wouldn't spend too much time hanging onto the idea of gaining an acceptance to a US allopathic school-- go to the Caribbean.

Try and pm LizzyM (I think that is her screen name on sdn) who is an adcom member and see what she has to say on this matter and also do a search-- I think that a DUI is pretty much a kiss of death for US schools, but you should definitely research your options and find out if there is any way out of this mess. However, given your status-- your relatively low mcat and your conviction, I'm relatively confident that you're fried. I wouldn't spend too much time hanging onto the idea of gaining an acceptance to a US allopathic school-- go to the Caribbean.

Sounds harsh but almost convincing of a thought. It seems like you were boarderline to begin with and instead of strengthening that last string you pretty much hung yourself with it with that DUI. It is just wrong timing too fresh and the stats are too boarderline. I say carib too... But dont stop trying and trying all your options to get in US, see what type of response you get...

Keep us updated.

Good Luck...

A DUI is not necessarily a kiss of death for US schools. The relatively low MCAT is another issue, which can be remedied with a retake and a stronger showing.

OP: Agreed that the timing on the DUI is unfortunate, but med school adcoms are not always as judgmental and absolutist as silas would suggest. Specific circumstances and evidence of rehabilitation, along with a strengthened app are your best bet for entrance into a US MD program.

Don't discount DO, either - save Carib as your very last option, and not before trying another app cycle.

A DUI is not necessarily a kiss of death for US schools. The relatively low MCAT is another issue, which can be remedied with a retake and a stronger showing.

OP: Agreed that the timing on the DUI is unfortunate, but med school adcoms are not always as judgmental and absolutist as silas would suggest. Specific circumstances and evidence of rehabilitation, along with a strengthened app are your best bet for entrance into a US MD program.

Don't discount DO, either - save Carib as your very last option, and not before trying another app cycle.

What happened to the OP, did she ever update us if she got accepted or is she boozing once again:laugh: j/k

helpfuldoc2b, If by the OP you are refering to me I think your comment is very inappropriate for this website. This forum is meant to be helpful, not insulting. To update you, no I haven't been accepted yet because the application process for 2009-2010 hasn't even begun yet. On the bright side, if anyone else who has gotten a DUI reads this thread, you will be happy to know that admissions committees aren't as negative as everyone on this forum seems to think. While getting a DUI definately hurts your chances of getting in, they care more about how you have learned from the event and changed your behavior in order to ensure that it never happens again. Thanks everyone for your help.

I have a friend who got into an allopathic medical school (28 on mcat) after receiving a DUI. He got it during an application cycle, then decided to get his masters. 2 years later and he is now accepted into an allopathic school. It is not impossible, just make sure the schools know it was an honest mistake. Good luck!!