DUI charge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed67783

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to medical schools this upcoming cycle. I was, unfortunately, arrested for a dui very recently. Should I even bother applying this year? I am otherwise a strong applicant for med school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning on applying to medical schools this upcoming cycle. I was, unfortunately, arrested for a dui very recently. Should I even bother applying this year? I am otherwise a strong applicant for med school.

Are you going to be convicted? Are the charges going to be deferred? Will you be on probation? Misdemeanor I'm assuming. Need a little more info before I can help. For what it's worth, I know a few people in med school with DUI's.

I do not know if I will be convicted. I have not even had my court date yet. It occurred less than a week ago. It is a misdemeanor, and my first and only offense. I cannot give any more details than that because I haven't had a court date yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know if I will be convicted. I have not even had my court date yet. It occurred less than a week ago. It is a misdemeanor, and my first and only offense. I cannot give any more details than that because I haven't had a court date yet.

Do you not have a lawyer? A good lawyer should be laying out all your options for you at this point, even before your court date.

DUI = take a few years off and grow up. It's going to look very bad. You *might* get an admissions committee to overlook things, but that's probably unlikely. I sure as hell wouldn't. [Imagine I wrote a long, angry anti-DUI, pro-responsibility rant here... I would if I wasn't so lazy.]

Before you apply, keep in mind that some schools have a pretty strict limit on the number of years they accept your application. E.g. I think UCLA takes an app 3 times max, if I remember correctly.

You need to speak with a lawyer NOW. As you mentioned it is only a misdemeanor charge and a good lawyer should be able to plea/negotiate or if not at least delay the conviction so that it will not come up when you apply.

Is a wet reckless offense any better than a DUI? Assuming it gets reduced to that. Also, if I am convicted and I later expunge the misdemeanor from my record, will medical schools see it?

And if it is delayed, but I am later convicted anyways, won't they still see it and revoke my acceptance?

And if it is delayed, but I am later convicted anyways, won't they still see it and revoke my acceptance?
If you kept information hidden from them, they certainly could.

Explain to the judge that it'll greatly affect your chances of getting an acceptance. Ask them if you could do LOTS and LOTS of community service in return or other stuff :eek::oops:.

Explain to the judge that it'll greatly affect your chances of getting an acceptance. Ask them if you could do LOTS and LOTS of community service in return or other stuff :eek::oops:.
lol. if only judges cared.

Honestly it sounds like you haven't spoken with a lawyer. Most of these things can result in no conviction like I said if you find a good attorney. Expungements take years (5+), you really need the charges delayed, preferably deferred, which would not result in a conviction = you don't have to say anything about it in your application.

I got a DUI charge after I submitted my application this year (BS charge). I waited until after my court date until I did anything about it to make sure that I didn't blow something up that didn't need to be a big deal. I ended up not being convicted, but placed on probation. I called the background check agency and asked if it shows up on the report and it does, as well as pending charges. I told the school I was accepted to about what happened and they decided to let me enter the class anyway.

Always be honest about it, whatever you decide to do.

Also, call the licensing board of whichever state you want to practice in and ask about their policies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lawyer. Now. The best you can afford.

If you kept information hidden from them, they certainly could.

Most applications only ask about convictions so you would not get in trouble for not mentioning it.

Since people are talking about defferment I will ask a question here. (No thread hijack). I was charged with mic and disorderly conduct but had to plea guilty to get my charges deferred. What does this mean to me?

Since people are talking about defferment I will ask a question here. (No thread hijack). I was charged with mic and disorderly conduct but had to plea guilty to get my charges deferred. What does this mean to me?

ha probably nothing. i know someone with 4 mips who still got in.

another person i know was convicted of disorderly conduct (drunk in public) listed it on her application, and the interviewer laughed in her interview.

the charges were deferred, so you technically weren't convicted. if you are going to be on probation or diversion at the time of the background check, though, they will most likely ask about it.

I had a charge deferred and it did not show up on the Certiphi background check. All of this is really dependent on the county/state that you were charged in. Also, it will probably show up if you are still on probation.

I wouldn't worry about an MIP though.

DUI = take a few years off and grow up. It's going to look very bad. You *might* get an admissions committee to overlook things, but that's probably unlikely. I sure as hell wouldn't. [Imagine I wrote a long, angry anti-DUI, pro-responsibility rant here... I would if I wasn't so lazy.]

Before you apply, keep in mind that some schools have a pretty strict limit on the number of years they accept your application. E.g. I think UCLA takes an app 3 times max, if I remember correctly.

People make mistakes...1 bad decision doesn't make the poster a bad or even irresponsible person.

Best of luck to you OP! Don't get discouraged, if you really want to be a doctor you'll find a way.

I think that you are not too bad if you get get the charged reduced. Even if its to something like reckless driving, because DUI hits adcoms ears harshly - everyone knows what it is and there is a stigma. Reckless driving could be anything really

Lawyer-up. :thumbup: We're just idiot pre-meds, myself included. :laugh:

What were you under the influence OF? If it was like you driving on a medication that made you loopy, that's one thing. The adcom will probably be sympathetic. But if they hear you were under the influence of, say, cocaine (just as an example - I assume you weren't using cocaine), you're probably not getting in.

I also recommend a good lawyer. Add in the ability to cry on demand and I think you're set.

Unfortunately, since it's so recent, I'd say that unless you are completely exonerated, this probably isn't the best time to apply. On a personal note, it sounds like you have to deal with whatever made you drive drunk. Clearly a bad idea on so many levels. I'm not going to lecture you or pass judgment on your moral character or anything, but maybe this is a sign that it's time for a break from the pressure of pre-med?

I do know that when surgeons are convicted of DUI (in my state, at least), they are put on some form of probation. I worked with a fantastic surgeon who only operated with another physician who also did cases without him, so I finally asked why that was the case. Turns out he had a recent DUI, and he was not allowed to perform surgery without another board-certified surgeon scrubbed in with him.

Unfortunately, since it's so recent, I'd say that unless you are completely exonerated, this probably isn't the best time to apply. On a personal note, it sounds like you have to deal with whatever made you drive drunk. Clearly a bad idea on so many levels. I'm not going to lecture you or pass judgment on your moral character or anything, but maybe this is a sign that it's time for a break from the pressure of pre-med?

I do know that when surgeons are convicted of DUI (in my state, at least), they are put on some form of probation. I worked with a fantastic surgeon who only operated with another physician who also did cases without him, so I finally asked why that was the case. Turns out he had a recent DUI, and he was not allowed to perform surgery without another board-certified surgeon scrubbed in with him.
Im actually thinking along the same lines. This whole experience really has been kind of an eye opener that I have some maturing to do. I was considering taking a year off regardless of whether the charges are dropped. What really worries me though is whether it will still haunt me even if I choose to apply later, and then again when I'm applying for licensing. I don't mind much if it takes longer, just as long as I become a doctor.

You started this thread to ask a specific question, which is perfectly reasonable. But the attitude you seem to project is very selfish and immature -- "Oh, no, this terrible thing has happened to me! How can I mitigate the consequences?"

Despite what other posters have said, getting a DUI does in fact speak very badly to your character. You took the lives of innocent people into your own hands so you could get blasted. Many would argue that you belong in jail. You are unlikely to get much sympathy because now you might not get to go to school where you wanted to go.

My advice: Before you do anything else, figure out why you committed such an immensely stupid, dangerous felony. (And whether or not you are convicted, you know your actions were felonious.) What is the deficit in your soul, the damage in your brain, and/or the flaw in your personality that would lead you to drive while drunk? Only after you have determined the answer to this and completely corrected it in yourself should you bother to worry about getting into medical school.

You started this thread to ask a specific question, which is perfectly reasonable. But the attitude you seem to project is very selfish and immature -- "Oh, no, this terrible thing has happened to me! How can I mitigate the consequences?"

Despite what other posters have said, getting a DUI does in fact speak very badly to your character. You took the lives of innocent people into your own hands so you could get blasted. Many would argue that you belong in jail. You are unlikely to get much sympathy because now you might not get to go to school where you wanted to go.

My advice: Before you do anything else, figure out why you committed such an immensely stupid, dangerous felony. (And whether or not you are convicted, you know your actions were felonious.) What is the deficit in your soul, the damage in your brain, and/or the flaw in your personality that would lead you to drive while drunk? Only after you have determined the answer to this and completely corrected it in yourself should you bother to worry about getting into medical school.

get off your high horse..

you don't have to be 'blasted' to get a DUI. Here in new mexico you can get a dui at 0.02 BAC.

get off your high horse..

you don't have to be 'blasted' to get a DUI. Here in new mexico you can get a dui at 0.02 BAC.

No, I like it fine here on my high horse.

DUI is a scummy act. Period. If you are unwilling to admit this, then your opinion is irrelevant.

I think all elektroshok is trying to say is that the OP isn't asking to be berated here no matter if you think he deserves it or not. He's asking for our opinions as pre-meds on whether or not he stands a chance by applying next year. I'm sure he'll get enough stigma from med schools, friends, and family to cover it.

...this coming from someone who's been hit by a drunk driver.

DUI is a scummy act. Period. If you are unwilling to admit this, then your opinion is irrelevant.

I agree driving 'blasted' is a scummy act.
But I don't agree those getting DUIs with 0.02-0.04 bacs is scummy.

And again, you don't know the whole situation about the OPs case - so telling him to search his soul or whatever it is you wrote is lame.

Felony?? What state do you live in? It's only a felony after like the 3rd or 4th DUI.

well what should he be asking ,what is the best way to completely screw myself?. It was not even a DWI it was a DUI which is just a misdemeanor not a felony. My advice, get a lawyer and get this thing delayed until after you are accepted ( and preferably matriculated) then you could take the conviction.

OP, you have omitted some VERY important pieces of information:

1. What state was it in?
2. How was your BAC tested and what was it?
3. Were there any other factors in the arrest (e.g., underage, reckless driving, driving on a suspended, vehicular crash or property damage)?
4. What if any prior offenses do you have (esp. alcohol/substance related)?

You need a DUI attorney regardless of whether you are innocent or guilty. If you are guilty, then you can't change that and you are better off admitting that fact to yourself than going into denial. A lawyer is not going to be able to get you off except on a technicality, which police are very careful to prevent. The lawyer will, however, work to make sure you don't receive unjust punishment. DUI has in the past two decades become a very serious crime that will follow you for the rest of your life. If you live in a state that has extremely harsh DUI laws like Arizona, you're pretty much screwed.

Nobody here can answer the question of whether this will prevent you from getting into medical school in the near future. The only way for you to know that is to apply and find out. The only fact is that you will have to disclose it if you are convicted or still charged at the time of application. How the schools react is anyone's guess and pointless to argue about. It's not a felony, so you don't have to worry about licensing issues.

Use this as a learning experience. Think what could have happened if you had gotten into an accident or hit someone. You got lucky that you don't have to carry that on your conscience. Think about how much a subsequent charge will affect you and use these thoughts to promise to yourself that you will never drive after drinking ANY amount of alcohol ever again. Yes, people who drink and drive all the time and never get caught get into med school and become successful doctors. Yes, your friends who drink and drive more than you do may continue to do so while you call a cab. But life's not fair. Your only safe bet from now on is to impose a zero-tolerance law on yourself.

Yes, it is if its intentional. But to deem all DUI offenders to be the same is reckless. The circumstances are all different. Consider an elderly man and woman who go out for a nice dinner and share a bottle of wine. On the way back home the man's tire blows out and he hits a pedestrian. Even though he didn't seem impaired and passed a FST, his BAC tested 0.01 over the legal limit. Now a consider a callous alcoholic who drinks at the bar every night and plans while sober to drive home drunk every night. He has 3 prior DUIs and a suspended license and he runs over a pedestrian with a 0.3 BAC (3-4 times the limit) and continues because he is too drunk to notice.

Are these two offenders the same level of scum? Don't cast judgment on others when you don't know the circumstances. Many people who get arrested for DUI never intended to drive drunk, but rather they got stuck in a situation with no other easy way home and could not make a rational decision due to their impairment. Alcohol impairment leads otherwise good people to do bad things. Unless you're advocating prohibition, then you are being ignorant.

But to deem all DUI offenders to be the same is reckless.

I did no such thing.

Don't cast judgment on others when you don't know the circumstances.

My exact words:

"DUI is a scummy act. Period."

That is a true statement. It does not "cast judgment on others."

Many people who get arrested for DUI never intended to drive drunk, but rather they got stuck in a situation with no other easy way home and could not make a rational decision due to their impairment.

Bull crap. If you willingly impair your own judgment, you are responsible for what you do when impaired. Duh.

Unless you're advocating prohibition, then you are being ignorant.

I am advocating people accepting responsibility for their actions. I don't have to be an advocate for celibacy to say that anyone who engages in sexual promiscuity is acting like an idiot of s/he does not use protection.

If you willingly impair yourself, through alcohol or anything else, it is YOUR responsibility to see to it that you don't endanger anyone else. If you do, you should bear the full weight of responsibility for your actions. "I was drunk" is not a defense; it is an admission of full guilt.

I did no such thing.

My exact words:

"DUI is a scummy act. Period."

That is a true statement. It does not "cast judgment on others."

Bull crap. If you willingly impair your own judgment, you are responsible for what you do when impaired. Duh.

I am advocating people accepting responsibility for their actions. I don't have to be an advocate for celibacy to say that anyone who engages in sexual promiscuity is acting like an idiot of s/he does not use protection.

If you willingly impair yourself, through alcohol or anything else, it is YOUR responsibility to see to it that you don't endanger anyone else. If you do, you should bear the full weight of responsibility for your actions. "I was drunk" is not a defense; it is an admission of full guilt.

I don't excuse drunk driving in the least, but I have to disagree that all drunk drivers are the same level of scum. 0.02 is a lot different than 0.1.

I'm not here to justify my actions at all, and I do not appreciate the berating. I just wanted some advice on what I should do regarding my medical school plans.

I'm not here to justify my actions at all, and I do not appreciate the berating. I just wanted some advice on what I should do regarding my medical school plans.

Then answer the questions we are asking you! You haven't told us anything about the situation you are in, so it would be very difficult for anyone to give you any advice on your med school plans.

This is my first offense. No prior DUI's or any other problems with the law. It happened in San Francisco, CA. I was not told my BAC. There were no accidents, injury, or traffic violations involved (ie speeding). The office pulled me over because he said I was swerving. I did speak to a lawyer, and he said it's difficult to tell what can be done until my court date. He did, however, say that it is possible to have it reduced to wet reckless reckless driving, which would have a significantly lower probation period, after which I could have it expunged from my record. In that case, medical schools probably would not see it, but it would come up when I apply for licensing.

Let me know what other info to provide. =) Thanks.

This is my first offense. No prior DUI's or any other problems with the law. It happened in San Francisco, CA. I was not told my BAC. There were no accidents, injury, or traffic violations involved (ie speeding). The office pulled me over because he said I was swerving. I did speak to a lawyer, and he said it's difficult to tell what can be done until my court date. He did, however, say that it is possible to have it reduced to wet reckless reckless driving, which would have a significantly lower probation period, after which I could have it expunged from my record. In that case, medical schools probably would not see it, but it would come up when I apply for licensing.

Definitely try to get it reduced if at all possible, which it sounds like you are trying to do. Honestly cases like these can get dragged on for years, and the reason I mention this is because until your case is resolved, it will most likely show up on a background check. However when you are applying, you should still answer NO to "have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor" - because you haven't.

If I were you I would still probably apply, because at this point you haven't been convicted of anything, so no school could pre-screen you, and like I said you never know how long these types of things take to play out.

As for the licensing thing, that is a long time down the road, and as long as you don't get arrested anymore it really should not be an issue at all.

One more thing. I was going to apply to SMP's this year to attend during the year before I actually start medical school. What are your thoughts on continuing with those plans? Should I just proceed like I was planning and let the DUI case play itself out?

I'm not here to justify my actions at all, and I do not appreciate the berating.

Berating? Which berating might that be? Having someone state an obvious judgment like "DUI is a scummy act" hardly qualifies as berating. If someone had said something like "You are a cancer on society," that might constitute berating. But no one said that.

I just wanted some advice on what I should do regarding my medical school plans.

Your specific question: Should I even bother applying this year?"

My response: You took the lives of innocent people into your own hands so you could get blasted...My advice: Before you do anything else, figure out why you committed such an immensely stupid, dangerous felony...What is the deficit in your soul, the damage in your brain, and/or the flaw in your personality that would lead you to drive while drunk? Only after you have determined the answer to this and completely corrected it in yourself should you bother to worry about getting into medical school.

How does that not answer your question? Or is it that it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear and didn't demonstrate sufficient sympathy for your self-induced plight?

How much did you drink on the night in question? Get a new lawyer. There is plenty to be done before the court date. He should be getting all of the arrest records and reports and organizing your defense. Sounds like his plan is to walk in there and try to make a deal, which may be the best plan, but you won't know until you get all the documentation. There are loopholes to be exploited.

How much did you drink on the night in question? Get a new lawyer. There is plenty to be done before the court date. He should be getting all of the arrest records and reports and organizing your defense. Sounds like his plan is to walk in there and try to make a deal, which may be the best plan, but you won't know until you get all the documentation. There are loopholes to be exploited.

This.

If you have a good enough lawyer DUI's rarely end up in actual convictions. Oh and also, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THE BREATHALYZER!!! But that's neither here nor there...

And what's up with the dude that keeps calling DUI's a felony?

If you have a good enough lawyer DUI's rarely end up in actual convictions. Oh and also, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THE BREATHALYZER!!! But that's neither here nor there...

Unbelievably stupid advice. In Alaska, Nebraska, and Minnesota, you will end up in jail for refusing the test. In Massachusetts, refusing a breathalyzer test immediately costs you your license for six months. In California and Vermont, you can go to jail for up to two years for refusing a test if you've had a previous DUI conviction. In one Ohio case, a man was acquitted by a jury for DUI, but the judge still suspended his license for two years because he refused the breathalyzer test. In many states, the fact that you are driving a motor vehicle implies consent to take the breathalyzer test, and refusal to do so is a prosecutable offense.

Drunk drivers murder people. Anyone who drives drunk is guilty of a morally reprehensible act. Anyone who defends a drunk driver or who tries to get him out of responsibility for his act is a scumbag.

And what's up with the dude that keeps calling DUI's a felony?

Many states, such as New York and Wyoming, consider multiple DUIs a felony. The act is felonious, even if a conviction is not obtained.

I am appalled a the moral stuntedness displayed on this thread. I can only sincerely hope that the next deaths caused by drunk drivers take place in the families of those who so staunchly defend the drunk drivers.

Unbelievably stupid advice. In Alaska, Nebraska, and Minnesota, you will end up in jail for refusing the test. In Massachusetts, refusing a breathalyzer test immediately costs you your license for six months. In California and Vermont, you can go to jail for up to two years for refusing a test if you've had a previous DUI conviction. In one Ohio case, a man was acquitted by a jury for DUI, but the judge still suspended his license for two years because he refused the breathalyzer test. In many states, the fact that you are driving a motor vehicle implies consent to take the breathalyzer test, and refusal to do so is a prosecutable offense.

Drunk drivers murder people. Anyone who drives drunk is guilty of a morally reprehensible act. Anyone who defends a drunk driver or who tries to get him out of responsibility for his act is a scumbag.

Many states, such as New York and Wyoming, consider multiple DUIs a felony. The act is felonious, even if a conviction is not obtained.

I am appalled a the moral stuntedness displayed on this thread. I can only sincerely hope that the next deaths caused by drunk drivers take place in the families of those who so staunchly defend the drunk drivers.

:laugh: Do you realize how ironic/******ed that statement is?

I'm sure you've NEVER made a mistake before in your life

Nope. It is neither "ironic" (do you even know the meaning of the word?) nor "******ed".

You don't find it ironic that you are calling into question the "moral stuntedness" of people in this thread, yet you say that you hope someone in my family gets killed by a drunk driver.

Yeah, not ironic at all.

I can only sincerely hope that the next deaths caused by drunk drivers take place in the families of those who so staunchly defend the drunk drivers.

PLEASE be a troll, or someone who is trying to flame people unnecessarily.

please don't be serious about this.

edit: because i mean, i can only sincerely hope that there are no "next deaths" caused by drunk drivers. I do not sincerely hope for pain and suffering in the world.

You don't find it ironic that you are calling into question the "moral stuntedness" of people in this thread, yet you say that you hope someone in my family gets killed by a drunk driver.

Yeah, not ironic at all.
It's because of his "mental stuntedness".