Duke always interviews its own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that Duke always interviews its undergrads...anyone know if this is true? If so, anyone know if some of these just courtesy interviews or is everyone really considered? I know this is hard to know, I was just curious if anyone had an idea. Thanks, guys. I heart Greg Paulus.

Members don't see this ad.

MrBurns10 said:
I heard a rumor that Duke always interviews its undergrads...anyone know if this is true? If so, anyone know if some of these just courtesy interviews or is everyone really considered? I know this is hard to know, I was just curious if anyone had an idea. Thanks, guys. I heart Greg Paulus.

they only interview ~750 people total. I doubt they'd be able to interview all of their undergrads applying, ~300 (I doubt all of them apply to duke though).

Have you surfed the HPAC website? Basically about 150 Duke undergrads/alumni apply to the med school each year. About 30 gain acceptance and about 15 matriculate. Based on their interview numbers, I would estimate that about 1/3 of the Duke students they interview get accepted, so about 90 get interviewed. Therefore the average applicant has a 60% chance of getting interviewed.

On the whole Duke Med seems to be quite generous to their undergrads. A lot of the students who end up matriculating there didn't get any acceptances to other top-10's (conclusion based on much anecdotal evidence, admittedly).

PM me if you want these documents (acceptance histories of Duke undergrads).

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to mention that I also heart Greg Paulus.

solitude said:
Have you surfed the HPAC website? Basically about 150 Duke undergrads/alumni apply to the med school each year. About 30 gain acceptance and about 15 matriculate. Based on their interview numbers, I would estimate that about 1/3 of the Duke students they interview get accepted, so about 90 get interviewed. Therefore the average applicant has a 60% chance of getting interviewed.

On the whole Duke Med seems to be quite generous to their undergrads. A lot of the students who end up matriculating there didn't get any acceptances to other top-10's (conclusion based on much anecdotal evidence, admittedly).

PM me if you want these documents (acceptance histories of Duke undergrads).
Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I didn't even think of looking over the HPAC website because I didn't think it had info specific to Duke Med, although I have seen most of the other acceptance info. I appreciate it!

courtesy interview for undergrads? i missed the memo..... :mad:

HPAC is our pre-med advising center

MrBurns10 said:
Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I didn't even think of looking over the HPAC website because I didn't think it had info specific to Duke Med, although I have seen most of the other acceptance info. I appreciate it!

Yeah, it doesn't have any info specific to Duke Med. I pieced together that argument from those documents and a few other sources. Have you seen the 10-year acceptance trends? They are a lot more meaningful than the yearly ones. If you haven't, PM me and I can send it to you. I think HPAC took the 10-year document off the site about a year ago.

I heard that they interviewed all undergrad from Duke as sort of a courtesy interview. This is secondhand, so take it with a grain of salt. I guess you can ask Dean Singer and see if she will actually give you a reply(man im gonna miss Miriam Crenshaw).

MarzH05 said:
I heard that they interviewed all undergrad from Duke as sort of a courtesy interview. This is secondhand, so take it with a grain of salt. I guess you can ask Dean Singer and see if she will actually give you a reply(man im gonna miss Miriam Crenshaw).
This is exactly what I was afraid of. Any dookies out there that didn't just submit their app not get an interview?

And I agree, she is great. She made the whole process so much nicer.

MarzH05 said:

I don't know about ALL of Duke undergrads. I mean, 60% is a huge number, and when you take into account all of the crappy applicants, Duke Med basically does grant a courtesy interview to anybody with a chance in hell of acceptance.

solitude said:
I don't know about ALL of Duke undergrads. I mean, 60% is a huge number, and when you take into account all of the crappy applicants, Duke Med basically does grant a courtesy interview to anybody with a chance in hell of acceptance.

I dont think interviewing all of the undergrads that actually apply to Duke med is so much of a stretch. I doubt there is really all that many. Anyway, when I heard it, it was under the premise that they wanted to give Duke undergrads interview experience. I probably saw it on these forums so I still dont know how much truth is in it. I personally would not want to spend another 4 years at Duke, but good luck to all of you that want to.

MarzH05 said:
I dont think interviewing all of the undergrads that actually apply to Duke med is so much of a stretch. I doubt there is really all that many. Anyway, when I heard it, it was under the premise that they wanted to give Duke undergrads interview experience. I probably saw it on these forums so I still dont know how much truth is in it. I personally would not want to spend another 4 years at Duke, but good luck to all of you that want to.

If Duke Med interviews only about 750 applicants per year, and 150 Duke students apply, then yes it is a stretch to say that they would interview every one. 1/5 of their interviews to Duke undergrads would be extreme. Additionally, a large percentage of those who apply to Duke have no business going (i.e. are grossly underqualified), and a few of them are granted interviews. So I think it is safe to say that Duke grants courtesy interviews to many of their undergrads who are qualified, which works out to about 60% of those who apply to Duke Med.

I also don't understand why Duke Med would interview Duke students just to give them interview experience. The Medical School is a separate entity from HPAC, Trinity College, and Pratt, and would have no incentive to do so. I think the whole point of the HPAC process and interviews with Dean Singer is to get interview experience. Why would the med school waste their time and money?

I agree though about not staying here. I definitely have no desire to attend Duke Med. As I mentioned before, those Duke alums that end up matriculating at Duke Med generally did not receive any other or few acceptances at top-10's.

Members don't see this ad :)
solitude said:
If Duke Med interviews only about 750 applicants per year, and 150 Duke students apply, then yes it is a stretch to say that they would interview every one. 1/5 of their interviews to Duke undergrads would be extreme. Additionally, a large percentage of those who apply to Duke have no business going (i.e. are grossly underqualified), and a few of them are granted interviews. So I think it is safe to say that Duke grants courtesy interviews to many of their undergrads who are qualified, which works out to about 60% of those who apply to Duke Med.

I also don't understand why Duke Med would interview Duke students just to give them interview experience. The Medical School is a separate entity from HPAC, Trinity College, and Pratt, and would have no incentive to do so. I think the whole point of the HPAC process and interviews with Dean Singer is to get interview experience. Why would the med school waste their time and money?

I agree though about not staying here. I definitely have no desire to attend Duke Med. As I mentioned before, those Duke alums that end up matriculating at Duke Med generally did not receive any other or few acceptances at top-10's.

I'd be surprised if much more than half of students from Duke applied to Duke Med, but I still doubt they interview every single one unless they are all qualified. I know Dean Singer tells people that it's a reach school if she truly thinks it is for them, so it's not like we're being encouraged to apply here.

That said, it has it's ups and downs, but that's just like any other school. I would definitely at least like the opportunity to have that as an option.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
That said, it has it's ups and downs, but that's just like any other school. I would definitely at least like the opportunity to have that as an option.
I just miss being in Cameron... :(

MrBurns10 said:
I just miss being in Cameron... :(

Would we be eligible to enter the lottery for grad students, I wonder? I sure hope so. Although I imagine it would suck a little to sit behind the basket and not in the undergrad section anymore. Still, I wouldn't complain.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
Would we be eligible to enter the lottery for grad students, I wonder? I sure hope so. Although I imagine it would suck a little to sit behind the basket and not in the undergrad section anymore. Still, I wouldn't complain.

Yeah, med students participate in the lottery just like other grad students. The seats suck (relatively), but the waits are much shorter, which would be nice you know?

solitude said:
Yeah, med students participate in the lottery just like other grad students. The seats suck (relatively), but the waits are much shorter, which would be nice you know?
I just interviewed at Duke yesterday and this is what the students told us. I guess they pool their tickets together too, so people get to go to a good number of games.

Not being a Duke undergrad, I have no idea how many get interviews. But I will tell you that at my interview, out of 11 people 1 was from Duke. Not sure if it is always this ratio, or if they usually have more. Just thought I would throw it out there.

I graduated in '02 from Duke and had friends who applied to Duke Med and were not interviewed. But from what I heard at the time, '02 was one of the first years they switched from giving courtesy invites to being more selective.

SuzieQ3417 said:
I just interviewed at Duke yesterday and this is what the students told us. I guess they pool their tickets together too, so people get to go to a good number of games.

Not being a Duke undergrad, I have no idea how many get interviews. But I will tell you that at my interview, out of 11 people 1 was from Duke. Not sure if it is always this ratio, or if they usually have more. Just thought I would throw it out there.

I submitted my app on the Thursday before the (extended) Sunday deadline and got an invite on that following Monday. Seems like they shouldn't have had enough time to get to my application and review me so quickly . . . but they did. Don't know if that Duke undergrad part did it, but I do think some Duke students do not get interviews. Maybe it's like a "courtesy interview unless we know for sure that we won't want you in the end" kind of thing?

Seona said:
I submitted my app on the Thursday before the (extended) Sunday deadline and got an invite on that following Monday. Seems like they shouldn't have had enough time to get to my application and review me so quickly . . . but they did. Don't know if that Duke undergrad part did it, but I do think some Duke students do not get interviews. Maybe it's like a "courtesy interview unless we know for sure that we won't want you in the end" kind of thing?

I submitted my secondary around 7PM on the deadline (Sunday), and I too received an invite Monday morning... at 7:30 AM. Now I know they did not have time to read my app that fast!

MarzH05 said:
I personally would not want to spend another 4 years at Duke, but good luck to all of you that want to.

Just curious, but you and solitude both seem to have an unfavorable opinion of Duke Med after having been there for undergrad. Why is that?

zook said:
Just curious, but you and solitude both seem to have an unfavorable opinion of Duke Med after having been there for undergrad. Why is that?

I don't have anything against Duke Med in particular really. A lot of undergrads are pretty tired of the "Gothic Wonderland" (as people refer to Duke here) after their four years, and couldn't imagine sticking around for another 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I really like Duke University as a whole, and I think the med school is terrific. But I think it is important to have a change of pace every 5 or so years, so I want to go to a different university/region of the country for med school.

Aside from those personal reasons, as an MSTP applicant I really don't want to go to Duke Med. While MD/PhD's tend to graduate pretty quickly, the program is much more clinically oriented than those at other top programs. And 10-12 years at one university is overkill in my book.

SuzieQ3417 said:

Here is how it works for med/grad students (if anybody cares):

In the fall there is a big campout for all graduate and professional students. People sign up in groups or as individuals, and about 20% of all those who enter the lottery get selected, which means that they are given the opportunity to pay like 300bucks for a season pass. Usually people enter this as a group of 10 or 12, and then they can count on 2 or 3 members of the group winning the passes , which they then distribute amongst the season's games such that everybody who goes to the campout gets to attend some games. If you enter only as an individual, you might win the pass and get to go to every single game, or you won't win one at all. Then for each game, those with a pass line up just like the undergrads, first-come, first-served. The waits aren't nearly as long compared to the crazie (Dukies will appreciate that spelling) undergrads, but the seats obviously aren't as good. So it's basically luck at the campout, and then a meritocracy for each game.

This may be a ridiculous question, but do you think Duke perceives the students it grants interviews to within 24 hours of submitting their apps differently than those it grants interviews to a few weeks later? Ok I take that back...it IS a ridiculous question. But I just thought I'd ask anyway. This whole med school app process has made me an idiot.

zook said:

Like Solitude said, 8 years at one university is overkill in my book. However, as much as I loved Duke as a whole, I grew tired of the administration and the lack of caring(in my opinion) towards its students. For undergrad, I felt like every policy/decision was made to raise the prestige of the university with no thought about the students in mind. Also, I did not like the competetive atmosphere at the university and want to attend a medical school that has students and faculty that really want to help you learn the material and do well, as opposed to having to compete all the time. Not to mention the fact that learning all the sciences in 1 year seems like a nightmare to me.

Will Ferrell said:
they only interview ~750 people total. I doubt they'd be able to interview all of their undergrads applying, ~300 (I doubt all of them apply to duke though).

I'm a current Duke Med student. We were told that numbers were way up last year, and that Duke received well over 5,000 applications and interviewed about 1,000 applicants. I'm not sure if ALL Duke undergrad applicants get interviewed, but my understanding is that at least the vast majority do, based on what I've heard from friends who've been on the admissions committee.

MarzH05 said:
However, as much as I loved Duke as a whole, I grew tired of the administration and the lack of caring(in my opinion) towards its students. For undergrad, I felt like every policy/decision was made to raise the prestige of the university with no thought about the students in mind. Also, I did not like the competetive atmosphere at the university and want to attend a medical school that has students and faculty that really want to help you learn the material and do well, as opposed to having to compete all the time. Not to mention the fact that learning all the sciences in 1 year seems like a nightmare to me.

I'm not sure where to start on this one. The med school is totally different from the University, and it's hardly fair for you to project your frustrations about the undergrad administration onto the med school. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I've never heard anyone in the medical school claim that the administration is uncaring towards its students. Given how they've helped a number of students pursue unusual dual degrees and research projects, provided full scholarships to many more students than most schools, and even invited us into their homes on many occasions, it's clear that the administration is anything BUT uncaring. They take great care of us! I'd also like to provide a different viewpoint on the issue of "competitiveness." Any Duke first year will tell you that individuals' notes are often e-mailed out to the entire class, and that cooperative learning is quite common. Duke Med is NOT an insane, competitive environment. It's actually quite a pleasant place to live and to learn. You're surrounded by absolutely brilliant people, and often learn just as much from them as you do from your professors and clinical instructors. I wouldn't trade this environment for any other!

Finally, I must address the "learning all the sciences in 1 year" comment. This is a HUGE misnomer, yet it unfortunately keeps being propagated by people who fail to really understand our curriculum. Duke covers most of the basic science material taught at other schools, but we do NOT cover the large amount of OTHER material that they focus on during their second years. Look at the first year schedules elsewhere and then look at Duke's, and you'll see that most places have a very similar structure and length of time devoted to the subjects. The major difference is that we don't cover the things they cover in their second year. In other words, we don't do any specific courses in pathophysiology, dermatology, orthopedics, radiology, gastroenterology, nephrology, etc. etc. We feel that these things are best learned on the wards, so we don't spend an extra year in the classroom learning them. So basically, we're doing about 1.25 years worth of material in what amounts to 1.25 years at any other school, since we don't get much of a summer break (we get 2-3 weeks compared to 2-3 months at most places). This system works well, as the first year material, both here at Duke and elsewhere, is the true basic science core material that's tested on the Step 1 USMLE exam. You don't need ortho or derm to do well on step 1 (in fact, it's not even included in the exam), and so we don't spend time on it didactically. Having been through most of the curriculum now, I can assure you that it works fantastically well. There's nothing more overwhelming about Duke's curriculum than that of any other medical school. No matter where you go, you'll work hard and it'll be tough. But people tend to freak out about Duke because they fundamentally misunderstand how we do things. It's really unfair and unrealistic to make these assumptions. In fact, for me, being on the wards sooner was a huge advantage, and I wouldn't do it any other way if I had to do things again. I absolutely love the Duke curriculum!

I hope this clears things up a bit. There are a lot of misunderstandings about the Duke curriculum. Let me know if I can clarify anything further.

TommyGunn04 said:
I'm not sure where to start on this one. The med school is totally different from the University, and it's hardly fair for you to project your frustrations about the undergrad administration onto the med school. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I've never heard anyone in the medical school claim that the administration is uncaring towards its students. Given how they've helped a number of students pursue unusual dual degrees and research projects, provided full scholarships to many more students than most schools, and even invited us into their homes on many occasions, it's clear that the administration is anything BUT uncaring. They take great care of us! I'd also like to provide a different viewpoint on the issue of "competitiveness." Any Duke first year will tell you that individuals' notes are often e-mailed out to the entire class, and that cooperative learning is quite common. Duke Med is NOT an insane, competitive environment. It's actually quite a pleasant place to live and to learn. You're surrounded by absolutely brilliant people, and often learn just as much from them as you do from your professors and clinical instructors. I wouldn't trade this environment for any other!

I meant to edit my post and say that I have no idea how the administration works at the med school, but I got lazy. Im sure Duke med is great, I just still would not go there. And yes, it is because Duke has left a fould taste in my mouth for so many reasons. Not even just academics, but things as trivial as parking tickets in a parking lot that I pay for to go to work. However, no matter how trivial these little things may be, they have added up throughout my 4 years here. Is it fair to project my thoughts about the undergrad onto the med school? Probably not, but I will.

MarzH05 said:
I meant to edit my post and say that I have no idea how the administration works at the med school, but I got lazy. Im sure Duke med is great, I just still would not go there. And yes, it is because Duke has left a fould taste in my mouth for so many reasons. Not even just academics, but things as trivial as parking tickets in a parking lot that I pay for to go to work. However, no matter how trivial these little things may be, they have added up throughout my 4 years here. Is it fair to project my thoughts about the undergrad onto the med school? Probably not, but I will.
Ugh, one time I had to pay $170 for forgetting my car in the blue zone for a football game; $60 for the actual ticket and around $110 for them to "tow" it to Campus Dr. I bet not enough people actually go to football games to fill the blue zone. Talk about trivial...

Does anyone actually know when Duke makes its admissions decisions? I interviewed there about six weeks ago and never bothered to find out when a decision would be made. Anybody got the info?

n4ted0gg said:
Does anyone actually know when Duke makes its admissions decisions? I interviewed there about six weeks ago and never bothered to find out when a decision would be made. Anybody got the info?

Duke admissions is "non-rolling," so all decision letters go out in early March. I believe the official date is usually March 1st but there's often a delay. It also seems that the letters sometimes go out in different batches, and historically it has taken until mid-March before some applicants have received their letters. When I applied my letter didn't arrive until around March 15th or so. (waiting sucks! :( )

Thanks man, preciate the help.