Duke Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm another future duke student new to the thread. Does anyone know the dress code for second look? I vaguely recall receiving some instructions, but I could be mixing up schools. See ya this weekend.

Friday night dinner at deans' houses is "business casual," as is Sunday brunch. Here is the full email:

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Duke University School of Medicine! By the time you receive this email, you should have received your acceptance letter to DukeMed. If you have not yet received your packet, it will be arriving shortly.

We know this is an exciting time for you as you begin to make decisions regarding which medical school you will attend.

The administration, faculty, staff and students of the Duke University School of Medicine are looking forward to providing you with a “Second Look” of all the possibilities for academic and personal growth at Duke. We feel that the Duke Medical School is an extraordinary place to begin your medical career. We are also aware that you may not have had an opportunity to explore the resources available here at Duke during the brief time you were on campus for your interview. For those students who interviewed regionally, you may not have seen Duke at all! Now that you’ve been admitted to DukeMed, we would like to show you how unique Duke University and Durham really are! So mark your calendars for the weekend of March 30, 2007 and join us for Second Look Weekend.

Second Look has always been an exciting weekend of events which will give you a chance to meet faculty and students. We would like for you to get a feel for student life at DukeMed; spending the weekend with students or seeing parts of campus that you may have missed when you were busy with the interview process. Also important is an opportunity to visit Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh – also known as “The Triangle”-since this entire area may be home for the next four years.

We will be hosting informal dinners (dress is casual business attire) at faculty, deans, and alumni homes, information sessions covering financial aid as well as our curriculum and academic opportunities. Two events you’re sure to enjoy will be the party hosted by our medical students and a Sunday brunch at Parizades hosted by the Office of Admissions (casual business attire is also requested for this event). Our students and faculty have planned a great introduction to Duke! Please complete and submit the on-line registration form as soon as possible (the on line form will be available beginning Monday morning March 12th). In order for us to have a head count for ordering food, it would be helpful for you to register no later than March 26, 2007. The link to the registration form is: http://dukemed.duke.edu/secondlook/

The SNMA, The Davison Council, and the LGBT Student Organization have enlisted their memberships to host you while you are here as well. Our medical students are looking forward to your arrival and serving as hosts throughout your stay. Please be aware however that if you are bringing a guest, they must find alternative accommodations. Our student hosts will make efforts to accommodate attendees who wish to bring a spouse or a partner but this may not always be possible. Students will do everything possible to help minimize the expenses you incur while attending this event largely because they recognize that this event is an exceptional way for all of you to jump-start the connections and friendships that will last well beyond DukeMed.

The Second Look registration form will provide you with an opportunity to request a student host. For those of you who prefer hotel accommodations, a list of hotels in the Durham area can be found at:

http://www.admissions.duke.edu/jump/campus/PDF/Accommodations.pdf

This link should be helpful to you as you make your travel plans whether by car or air:

http://www.admissions.duke.edu/jump/campus/directions.htm.

You may pick up an information packet for the weekend activities and a DukeMed t-shirt on Friday morning, March 30, 2007 at the registration table which will be located in the lower level lobby of Duke Hospital South (the Duke Clinic) adjacent to the Food Court. Registration will take place in conjunction with a continental breakfast and will begin at 7:45 AM. You will receive a welcome from the Dean of the School of Medicine at the Searle Center (a short walk from the Duke Clinic) promptly at 8:30 AM.

We look forward to your visit to the campus. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions at 919-684-2985.

Best wishes.

Richard S. Wallace
Associate Director of Admissions
Duke University School of Medicine
DUMC 3710
Durham, NC 27710
919-684-2985 - Office
919-684-8893 - Fax

“An individual has not started living fully until they can rise above the
narrow confines of individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of
humanity. .... Every person must decide, at some point, whether they will
walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive
selfishness. This is the judgment. Life’s most persistent and urgent
question is: What are you doing for others?” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the exact same question about the dress code...can someone answer plz. BTW r most ppl staying with student hosts?

I am staying with a student host. The email I got was sent to five people. I have no idea how many others are staying with hosts.

I'm staying with a student host, too. I think they sent out the e-mails in batches, because I was also sent an e-mail with about a half dozen people, but there are two other people who weren't on that list who will also be staying with my host for the weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
i requested a host but still haven't heard anything. can y ou plz tell me when you guys got this email?

i requested a host but still haven't heard anything. can y ou plz tell me when you guys got this email?

Sometime late last week... I think it was Friday? I'll send you a PM with the Hosting Coordinator's e-mail address.

Man I have to miss out on the festivities. Have an awesome weekend fellow Blue Devils. :hardy:

Cant make it this weekend either. Goin home in FL. Everyone have fun and be sure to spill comments on here!

Eeek, leaving tomorrow!

I gotta pack. What's everyone wearing?

So I know I should be dissuading you all from going to duke as I am one of the infamous waitlisters, but I am a nice person :D .. anyways, I saw someone in an earlier post suggesting places to live and they mentioned lofts of lakeview. I looked there and they are really nice (granite counter tops, hardwood floors, nice carpet, etc.) if you are into that sort of thing. however, there are other close options and in my opinion if you are gonna go pricey then my vote is for stationnine...it rocks big time...also if you are more into lofty/older charm then check out the West Village which is in brightleaf square downtown..they are old tobacco warehouses converted into apartments...also there is belmont/erwin square apartments if you are into more of an undergrad scene...all these options are on the pricier end though (850+ for a 1 bed/1bath)..anywho if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

So I know I should be dissuading you all from going to duke as I am one of the infamous waitlisters, but I am a nice person :D .. anyways, I saw someone in an earlier post suggesting places to live and they mentioned lofts of lakeview. I looked there and they are really nice (granite counter tops, hardwood floors, nice carpet, etc.) if you are into that sort of thing. however, there are other close options and in my opinion if you are gonna go pricey then my vote is for stationnine...it rocks big time...also if you are more into lofty/older charm then check out the West Village which is in brightleaf square downtown..they are old tobacco warehouses converted into apartments...also there is belmont/erwin square apartments if you are into more of an undergrad scene...all these options are on the pricier end though (850+ for a 1 bed/1bath)..anywho if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

hey husky,

any idea what's the closest and not-too-pricey-option for housing. I don't have a car and am trying to see if i can go by without one.

hey husky,

any idea what's the closest and not-too-pricey-option for housing. I don't have a car and am trying to see if i can go by without one.

Alot of people I know also just rent houses/rooms which can be cheap and close to campus( within biking distance) behind ninth street and hillsborough. Also there are a few apartment complexes on swift avenue that are really close to campus and the duke bus goes right by them and they are cheap. These are around 400-450 I think for 1 bedrooms...and also there is a whole foods right near all these places so a close( but expensive) grocery store and some food places along ninth street. Having said that, I think durham is one of those places that would be difficult without a car. Public transportation is pretty bad and it is probably easier to catch a cab in baghdad than in durham, so if you decide not to get a car, then you might want to live with someone who does because you would be pretty limited in where you could go without one...enjoy second look!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice having ya'll this weekend...hope you all had good times...i'm a second year at Duke and we had a blast with you guys..though I am sure you all have some sleep to catch up on ..in any case, feel free to PM me or post questions in the forums if u need answers...hope all is well and hope you come to Duke!!:D

Do students who complete another degree during the third year have to complete a thesis?

Do students who complete another degree during the third year have to complete a thesis?

Don't take my word on this, probably best to hear it from current students, but what I have gathered from the third year students I have met is that pursuing a dual degree(i.e. mba, jd, etc.) does not take the place of doing research the third year. Every student regardless of their dual degree will do third year research and complete a thesis as a requirement of the duke med curriculum. Anyone else care to weigh in on that?

Don't take my word on this, probably best to hear it from current students, but what I have gathered from the third year students I have met is that pursuing a dual degree(i.e. mba, jd, etc.) does not take the place of doing research the third year. Every student regardless of their dual degree will do third year research and complete a thesis as a requirement of the duke med curriculum. Anyone else care to weigh in on that?

Doing a dual degree does take the place of third year research, although I don't know if you're still required to turn in a paper or do research as part of your degree? Sorry, that was probably not helpful.

It is possible to get the thesis and dual degree done in that third year but there were definitely quite a few students who have decided to do a "second third year" to pursue their research.

I know orientation for first year Duke Med students starts in very late July this year. Does anyone know if Duke has any sort of White Coat ceremony for the families and, if so, when it is?

im leaning back towardssss duke...a.ragahgasdghlkah!

I know orientation for first year Duke Med students starts in very late July this year. Does anyone know if Duke has any sort of White Coat ceremony for the families and, if so, when it is?

Yes, there is one. For us, I *think* it was the Friday of orientation week.

That would be a yes on the thesis.

i believe you do have to complete SOMETHING by the end of your second degree. if it's the MD/MPH, i'm sure there's a thesis involved, i'm pretty sure there's one for the MBA as well, but i have no clue about the JD.

Hi, just wanted to chime in since we're you guys' counterpart in Singapore, following the exact same curriculum, probably having the same lectures, recorded. I heard there're already 3 MS-3 who're coming to Singapore to do their research year in August. Maybe I'll see some of you guys in 2 years. A $35,00 question: Do we have to pay tuition for the research year? Also, I still don't quite see how a 2-yr science curriculum can be condensed into 1-yr without either working us to death or leaving out fairly large portions. So excited about August!

Hi, just wanted to chime in since we're you guys' counterpart in Singapore, following the exact same curriculum, probably having the same lectures, recorded. I heard there're already 3 MS-3 who're coming to Singapore to do their research year in August. Maybe I'll see some of you guys in 2 years. A $35,00 question: Do we have to pay tuition for the research year? Also, I still don't quite see how a 2-yr science curriculum can be condensed into 1-yr without either working us to death or leaving out fairly large portions. So excited about August!

Unfortunately, you do have to pay tuition for the research year. However, a significant number of people (I want to say a quarter of the class?) get funding for their research, which significantly reduces the amount of money they actually have to pay. Of course, that's provided they win the funding for it.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid info yet from Duke? And if so, when and when were you totally complete with all of your documents, including Need Access, etc.? Thanks!

Yes, what Embellis said is right, you do have to pay for third year. The MS-3s going to Singapore have a sweet deal - I think you get like a $28,000 stipend, plus money for living expenses, plus two round trip plane tickets, which would cover a good portion of tuition for the year. I'm not sure how funding will work for the Singapore students, because a lot of Duke students get funding through outside US organizations (Doris Duke, Howard Hughes, etc), but I'm sure you will have many options.

The one year science curriculum isn't too bad. Body and Disease is more work than the others were, and there's a lot more material, but it's still doable. Basically, some stuff is left out (we learned very little embryology, but most of the stuff they leave out is just in depth details that you'd probably forget anyway) and our first year is longer (we go until the end of June, only have 2 weeks for Christmas break, 3 weeks for summer break, etc). I personally can't understand why you'd need 2 years to do what we're doing in one - it would probably be less work with more free time, but it really just seems like a waste of a year to me to do it that way. There are definitely people in my class that study all the time, but I think most of us have managed to strike a nice balance between work and play.

Just got my financial aid award :( . Looks like I'll be seriously reconsidering UNC.

anyone decided on duke? im about half-way there mentally.

anyone decided on duke? im about half-way there mentally.

I'm torn. I really loved the Durham area and the collegiate atmosphere of the campus and all of the opportunities Duke Medicine presents. But I am really reticent (I hear that word all of the time, not sure how to spell it) about the curriculum and the reputation that Duke has (alongside Hopkins) for killer clinical years and insane hours. The way the students talked when I was there, at least some of the reputation was granted. So I enjoy the social activities (Duke basketball, intramurals, etc), cheap housing, and wide open spaces of Durham, but will I find enough time to enjoy it? That's the decision I have to make, and I'm flying out to a competing institution for second look this weekend, so I'll get a better idea of what else is out there...we'll see!

I got my aid package from Duke yesterday, and my aid package from my state school today (most likely my cheapest option), and...

Duke is only 5K more expensive per year than UVA.

I'm going to wait on a couple more aid packages (just in case), but my heart is already on its way to Durham.

Hi. I'm new to SDN. Anyway, I've been pretty certain about coming to Duke ever since I came back from Second Look and got my financial aid package. I'm really excited about starting. Orientation in 94 days!

Hey yall... never thought I would be on this thread as an actual "member" of the thread per se... anyway, can't wait to see yall next year!!!

thanx, naty! i think the facebook group is better than this thread... its weird being in the allo forum :scared:

This is possibly the lamest "Class Of" thread in years. Just to let y'all know.

That's because the real party is/was in pre-allo.

Hey, if anyone is interested in finding a roommate for next year, please message me.

Is anyone still looking for housemates/housing? PM me. :)

:hello:

if you're in the facebook group, you've probably already read my message there, but...

i was wondering if anyone knew when the white coat ceremony will be on friday, August 3rd. i'm hoping to have my mom there, and it would be great to know would be great to know whether the ceremony will be in the morning or evening. =)

when's everyone planning to arrive in durham? :love:

Anyone moving to the Southpoint area? I could use some neighbors ;)