duke/hopkins with a 3.4 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whattodowithmys

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I have a question that Im not really sure i want the answer to. 😕 I am an undergrad pursuing a b.s. in bioengineering, and my research is in cardiac electrophysiology. I am interested in continuing this research with an md/phd degree, and i also wanted to attend a school close to my family. it just so happens that duke and hopkins (duke especially) have extraordinary bioelectricity labs closely linked to my interests and are both within 2.5 hours from home. The problem is that I have between a 3.4 and 3.5 GPA. I have not yet taken the mcats. i was wondering if any of you think that this is even a long shot possibility, or should i not even try to get my hopes up. aside from grades, my research, ec's etc. are all pretty good. thanks everyone!
 
You have picked a fine, fine research area! Most people here will rightfully tell you that it?s the whole package that schools evaluate, not just the GPA. This is especially true of combined degree programs. So, I won?t try to answer your main question.

But I will give you some pointers for finding schools that have good electrophysiology research in your target area (perhaps other than Duke and JH). First, most departments will classify this work as electrophysiology, not bioelectricity. That?s a term that the membrane guys used to use back in the 50?s. Some of the engineers still use it, but I think this only happens in the confines of their labs. 😉 Second, even if your interests are in cardiac electrophysiology, be sure to also search in neuroscience departments for faculty. This is where the majority of patch-clampers and intracellular recording guys are lurking these days. And the last thing to keep in mind is that if your true interest is excitable tissue (i.e., you get fired up thinking about ion flux, voltage-gating, rectification and shedding waters of hydration) then don?t be apprehensive about looking outside of the heart for research topics. As electrophysiologists we all think about the same stuff, irregardless of the tissue. 👍

Best of luck!
 
Hey it's nice to meet another patch-clamper. My research this summer as a Pfizer intern was in a cardiac electrophysiology lab and I just presented all of my work at a company wide intern poster session today. Where are you doing your research? Have you published anything yet? Until next time, keep in pursuit of the 1 giga ohm seal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
whattodowithmys said:
Hi everyone. I have a question that Im not really sure i want the answer to. 😕 I am an undergrad pursuing a b.s. in bioengineering, and my research is in cardiac electrophysiology. I am interested in continuing this research with an md/phd degree, and i also wanted to attend a school close to my family. it just so happens that duke and hopkins (duke especially) have extraordinary bioelectricity labs closely linked to my interests and are both within 2.5 hours from home. The problem is that I have between a 3.4 and 3.5 GPA. I have not yet taken the mcats. i was wondering if any of you think that this is even a long shot possibility, or should i not even try to get my hopes up. aside from grades, my research, ec's etc. are all pretty good. thanks everyone!

they are not really going to look at your cumulative gpa. what is your science gpa? what about non-science?

also did you get all a's in pre-med courses? that's pretty much mandatory if you are thinking about applying to hopkins and duke.
 
psyuk said:
also did you get all a's in pre-med courses? that's pretty much mandatory if you are thinking about applying to hopkins and duke.

mandatory to have all a's in pre-med courses??? 😱 wow, now that's intense.... 😱 :scared:
 
we are talking about hopkins and duke here. 😀

okay fine if you are the son or daughter of a powerful public figure then you are exempt from this rule.

the same could be said for under-represented minorities.
 
whattodowithmys said:
i was wondering if any of you think that this is even a long shot possibility, or should i not even try to get my hopes up. aside from grades, my research, ec's etc. are all pretty good. thanks everyone!

It's hard to say without looking at your entire application including your MCAT scores. If that GPA is the only blemish on your app, those schools are not a long shot, however you should remember that it's impossible to predict where you're going to get in. Remember also with Hopkins that there's no guarantee for funding, so even though it's possible you could be considered, you may go into debt anyways. Personally, I would never go that route.

You really have two options.
1) Apply only to schools in your area (MD/PhD and MD?). If you don't get in, reapply.
2) Apply broadly and just think of Duke/Hopkins as first choice schools.

You'll have to decide which of these strategies is more important to you. Keep up the hard work and I wish I could be more specific.