Duke hosts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you stay with a Duke student host during your interview? If so, how far in advance were you set up with your host? I scheduled my Duke interview quite a while in advance of the actual date and was wondering when I could expect to hear back about host availability.

Members don't see this ad.

I stayed with a host and they contacted me about a week in advance. But I also scheduled my interview a couple of weeks after I received my invite.

I thought the website said something about expecting to be contacted by someone within two weeks of scheduling your interview and indicating that you want to stay with a host. That being said, it's been a couple of weeks for me and I haven't been contacted by anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scheduled mine over a month ago and haven't heard back from a host. However, the website just says to contact them if you haven't heard back within a week of your interview. Mine isn't for a little while still, so I haven't contacted them.

unicorn06 said:
I scheduled mine over a month ago and haven't heard back from a host. However, the website just says to contact them if you haven't heard back within a week of your interview. Mine isn't for a little while still, so I haven't contacted them.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't checked the website in awhile so I wasn't sure exactly what we were supposed to do (guess I should read more carefully next time ;) ). I wasn't going to let it stress me out too much until my interview gets closer. I can only imagine how busy those students are, so I don't expect them to drop everything and contact me.

The first years are in charge of hosting and I know last year some days were a little tight trying to find hosts but it always worked out and I would say the interviewees had a great time (we liked to take people out or do whatever instead of having you sit there and watch us study!)
Occasionally you will come when there is an exam and in that case some of the duty falls to 2nd and 3rd year students (2nd years have very little time, well depending on the rotation) but have no fear because it usually works itself out at the latest one week ahead of time, but do call if you are concerned, it is your interview and you don't need any more stress than you should already be feeling! just kidding of course! good luck, PM me if you have any specific questions, I check in every couple of days

i tried to stay with a host and after not getting an email at all i finally contacted the office a week before my interview. they got me in touch with a first year who had another student email me to say he would be hosting me. after that i never received any emails from him so two or three days before my interview i just booked a hotel. there are a couple hotels right across the street and they are both pretty inexpensive. also duke offers a good shuttle from the airport to the hotels and school. despite my experience i think everyone in my interview group who stayed with a student had a really good time and said they were all very nice. in fact one of the hosts even picked the student up from the airport.