Duke Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandonite

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gone over interview feedback a couple times, and there are still some things I can't find...

Firstly, is the interview open or closed? I'm guessing they have at least access to your AMCAS and your Duke essays/questions... Does anybody know for sure?

Secondly, who does the interviewing? I'm getting the idea that there's a student will do one of the interviews sometimes. Is that really the case?

Any other advice/tips??

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, there are two interviewers, one student and one faculty. They were both open file and both had looked over my application. There is one "alpha" interview who will ask stuff about your application, kind of a fact finding interview. The other is a "beta" interview who asks more "probing" questions, about your motivation and the such. I felt that both were non-stress.

Good luck and enjoy the campus. Try to catch a game when you are there if there is one. I don't know the Bball schedule.

Like the previous poster said, there was an alpha and beta interviewer. With me, one was a professor, and the other was the director of the Multicultural Resource Center. Both had access to my file, but I'm not sure how carefully they had read it. In any case, both interviewers were very nice, and it seemed to go very well.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that Duke wants to interview me... very late! They ran out of appointments on campus, so I have to do a regional interview.

Has anyone done a regional interview? What was it like? I am wary of regionals because I don't think that the interviewers have the same training and standardization as on-campus ones.

I did a regional interview with St. Louis University. My experience was horrible. First, the guy wouldn't make eye contact with me, and then he wasn't listening to my answers. Within the course of the conversation, I mentioned, "...and I think that these are some strengths of mine..." Immediately after finishing my answer, he said, "so, tell me what your strengths are." I was like, "uh...well, I just told you, but let me rehash what I just told you." At the end, I asked him to tell me something that made St. Louis special and unique to him, and he couldn't give me an answer. Then he told me that he didn't like those kind of questions because it didn't matter what he thought, only what I thought. He said he was expecting me to ask him how early their students got patient contact. I didn't want to ask him something that I had already looked up on their website, but rather, something that I couldn't find out through my own research. It just seemed like the guy didn't want to be there, and wasn't prepared at all to give me an adequete interview. However, he then told me that I would make a good fit at the school, so I might get in despite all of that. I doubt that most regional interviews are this bad though.

At Duke the interviews are open-file. I had one MSIII and one faculty. The whole alpha and beta thing is not a hard and fast distinction, because both of my interviewers covered a lot of the same ground. Just be yourself and enjoy it.

I also had a regional interview with SLU (it was held in Seattle, and the interviewer had flown out from St. Louis). My experience couldn't have been more different than Schubie's. He was very well versed on my application, the interview was completlely non stressful, and we had a delightful conversation. And since I stayed in the same hotel he was conducting the interviews at, I got to order from room service the night before. :cool: (It's the only time I've stayed in a hotel -- I always stay with student hosts).

Of course, who knows how SLU's regionals compare to Duke's. Anyway, vkrn, congrats on getting the interview, and Good Luck!! Don't worry about it being regional, just go in there and do your best. :D

And brandonite, just have fun and knock 'em dead!! :D :D