You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Duke Med Class of 2013!
Started by nars etc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi! I was hoping someone would start this thread - I don't post much here and wasn't sure how to myself...
North Carolina weather is awesome (well, I'm a bit biased - I grew up there but have been living in MA and now Germany since high school, so I miss it!!). It's too hot in the summer (though you don't notice it because of air conditioning), gorgeous - often sunny - in the spring and fall, and variable in the winter. My parents said it snowed a couple times this year, but that is very unusual - usually we are lucky to get one snowfall of an inch or two a year.
No idea about 2nd look. Unfortunately i can't go, as my family was already set to visit me in germany that weekend.
Not positive about housing prices, but I am guessing about 400-450 in the area. Definitely reasonable.
Take your car. I think many duke students drive into campus, and raleigh/chapel hill are areas you will want to visit frequently. Public transport is still not good in the triangle, and you need a car to get between these spots. Plus, it will allow for the flexibility of weekend getaways to the beach or mountains...
Not sure about the last two.
Hope that helps! Thanks for starting this...are you definitely going to Duke?? I am debating between Duke and Vanderbilt - any thoughts? I will wait on financial packages, but if they come back similar I am really torn...both schools have very different strengths...
North Carolina weather is awesome (well, I'm a bit biased - I grew up there but have been living in MA and now Germany since high school, so I miss it!!). It's too hot in the summer (though you don't notice it because of air conditioning), gorgeous - often sunny - in the spring and fall, and variable in the winter. My parents said it snowed a couple times this year, but that is very unusual - usually we are lucky to get one snowfall of an inch or two a year.
No idea about 2nd look. Unfortunately i can't go, as my family was already set to visit me in germany that weekend.
Not positive about housing prices, but I am guessing about 400-450 in the area. Definitely reasonable.
Take your car. I think many duke students drive into campus, and raleigh/chapel hill are areas you will want to visit frequently. Public transport is still not good in the triangle, and you need a car to get between these spots. Plus, it will allow for the flexibility of weekend getaways to the beach or mountains...
Not sure about the last two.
Hope that helps! Thanks for starting this...are you definitely going to Duke?? I am debating between Duke and Vanderbilt - any thoughts? I will wait on financial packages, but if they come back similar I am really torn...both schools have very different strengths...
It is great that somebody started a Duke Med 2013 thread; I had been searching for one all day yesterday. I am curious as to what typical housing arrangements the students make. From my interview at Baylor, I discovered that many students take leases on condos/houses. I am wondering if the same strategy could be efficiently applied in Durham. Perhaps there is not as strong of a buyers' market for condos/homes as in the Houston medical area? I don't want to have difficulties selling the home four years from now. If someone knows, please inform me. I am not so much interested in renting an apartment because, to me, it is wasted money.
Also, is it true we get "free" laptops? I do understand that these are subsidized with money from our tuition payments. The idea of getting a "free" laptop is kind of amusing though... and exciting!
Also, is it true we get "free" laptops? I do understand that these are subsidized with money from our tuition payments. The idea of getting a "free" laptop is kind of amusing though... and exciting!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is great that somebody started a Duke Med 2013 thread; I had been searching for one all day yesterday. I am curious as to what typical housing arrangements the students make. From my interview at Baylor, I discovered that many students take leases on condos/houses. I am wondering if the same strategy could be efficiently applied in Durham. Perhaps there is not as strong of a buyers' market for condos/homes as in the Houston medical area? I don't want to have difficulties selling the home four years from now. If someone knows, please inform me. I am not so much interested in renting an apartment because, to me, it is wasted money.
Also, is it true we get "free" laptops? I do understand that these are subsidized with money from our tuition payments. The idea of getting a "free" laptop is kind of amusing though... and exciting!
I am fairly certain that this is what I heard during my interview day. I think it's one of those IBM Think Pads? Matching lap tops for our entire class? Cool! 😀
Radler, I'm in a similar position as you. The only difference is that Vanderbilt has made a big financial commitment to me... Those that end up going to Duke's Second Look, please share details afterward!
Man... I feel like it'd be wrong to join the group if you are not 100% set on Duke yet! Especially since I couldn't make it to Second Look... 🙁
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E