Duke Med Hispanic/URM Recruitment E-mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyChip26

Officially Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I was wondering if there were any URM, Hispanic applicants to Duke Medical School (current cycle, entry 2009)? If so, have any of you received an email from the admissions office titled "Duke University School of Medicine Hispanic Recruitment"?

I got an email from them a few days ago and then another one today encouraging me to follow through and fill out their secondary application. Duke is one of my dream schools, and I was just wondering if this was necessarily a good sign, or if every Hispanic/URM just got this automatically?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply to duke but I would assume its pretty generic.

nice, can only be good news. what are your stats? hope i get one :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It is probably a general email sent to applicants based on the info they received from Med-Mar (the registry that you probably signed up for when you took the MCAT). Don't put too much stock in the letter, but do apply to Duke anyway :)

Hm. I spoke to another Hispanic student who just started Duke this month and he said he didn't receive one when he was applying. Maybe it's a new thing this year. He also mentioned that Duke has received a lot of unwanted attention for not being as diverse as other medical schools.

Anyone else know more about this?

Yea I got this email (or pair of emails). Two pairs of emails actually... they send a long email written by students basically about how great it is to be a minority at Duke, how many people speak spanish in Durham and the surrounding area, and then a Doctor or Chairman or someone sends a second email explaining a few more topics the student email didn't cover about being a minority at Duke.

Note too sure... for me, this extra effort scared me off a bit. They are the only school that has done this, so I'm guessing that's because they either really care about their minority students, or because they feel they have to convince applicants it's okay to be a minority student there. I hope the former is the truth.

PS: I guess they sent it to me because I applied as Race: Black, Ethnicity: Cuban on the ACMAS. I haven't sent in their secondary.

Last edited:
Yea I got this email (or pair of emails). Two pairs of emails actually... they send a long email written by students basically about how great it is to be a minority at Duke, how many people speak spanish in Durham and the surrounding area, and then a Doctor or Chairman or someone sends a second email explaining a few more topics the student email didn't cover about being a minority at Duke.

Note too sure... for me, this extra effort scared me off a bit. They are the only school that has done this, so I'm guessing that's because they either really care about their minority students, or because they feel they have to convince applicants it's okay to be a minority student there. I hope the former is the truth.

PS: I guess they sent it to me because I applied as Race: Black, Ethnicity: Cuban on the ACMAS. I haven't sent in their secondary.

Hmmm. I did not get this email, but I am non-Hispanic Black. Also, Duke has a lot of Black students, so that combined with the fact that they specifically reference Spanish would make me think this email is for Hispanics only.