Program-Specific Info / Q's Duke OTD / Applicant Status for Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulOT15

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any information or thoughts on Duke University's new OTD program that will begin Fall 2021. With it being a new program, it hasn't yet been fully accredited. Would it not be wise to attend a program such as Duke that is not yet accredited but likely will be in the future? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any information or thoughts on Duke University's new OTD program that will begin Fall 2021. With it being a new program, it hasn't yet been fully accredited. Would it not be wise to attend a program such as Duke that is not yet accredited but likely will be in the future? Thank you!
Hello! I was talking with a friend who's already in OT school and she thinks it wouldn't hurt to apply to a school that isn't accredited since the program just opened. It would be a different story if the program has been open for 5 years and it still hasn't been accredited. With that being said, I honestly don't think it'll take long for the program to get accredited ..... well because it's freaking duke university they're known for so many other programs. I feel like in the future their OT program will rise in rankings so if you're willing to risk the chance I would say go for it. I think I might apply as well. If you think about it because the 2021 cohort will be the first class, the professors and programs will cater more towards the students because they want successful outcomes.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I attended a virtual session for Duke's OTD program and they touched on this. They said that they're going through the accreditation process and everything is going smoothly, so they are on track for accreditation by the time the first cohort graduates. If they know they won't receive accreditation in time, they will know that halfway through the first cohort. I don't think it's a bad thing at all to apply even though they're not accredited yet, because they probably will be. You're taking a chance, but you really take a chance with any school, because each school is re-visited and can lose accreditation. I chose not to apply for other reasons, but if you're interested, then I suggest attending an information session!! The faculty members seemed very dedicated and friendly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Thanks so much for this perspective. If you're comfortable stating, what were the other reasons you chose not to apply? I'd love to be able to consider all perspectives with applying.

Great! Thanks so much for this perspective. If you're comfortable stating, what were the other reasons you chose not to apply? I'd love to be able to consider all perspectives with applying.
Sure! One, I just wasn't really a huge fan of the way their course of study was designed. You might be able to find it on the program website, but instead of classes, there are sort of like "domains" that you take each semester. Also, I personally felt it was repeated during the session that the program was great because "Duke is so great". Which it definitely is, but I wanted to hear more about why the OT program is great. I'm sure this will improve as they go through a few cohorts, but it was just my impression in my session. They also emphasized their partnership with the Duke Divinity School (which is a seminary) and how they will be involved with a few of the domains/classes in the program. I definitely respect everyone's beliefs, but I personally do not resonate much with that and would prefer to not have that incorporated with my OT studies. I'm not sure how affiliated they are in the grand scheme of things, but it was mentioned a few times in my session! I hope this helps you, let me know if you have any other questions!!