Duke/UNC/Wake Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thegirlfromfenweh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll!

So I'm currently an MS3 in the Northeast who is looking to move down South with my wife for an IM residency. I was wondering if any MS4s or current residents could shed some light on whether or not they think away rotations at these programs are worth it? My intention is not to boost my application by rotating here and getting my foot in the door (although that would be a great added benefit), but I just wanted to get a feel for the programs and the area. Neither my wife or I have family or friends in the North Carolina region, but we absolutely LOVE visiting the beauty of the South.

Edit: I'm also a huge UNC fan, and my wife is a huge Duke fan. Basketball season can get crazy in our house :punch: :rage:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do an away at MUSC. Charleston is boss.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take a look at UAB too. Top flight program and Birmingham is an awesome city; >1M metro area. Great cost of living, tons of nice houses and neighborhoods minutes from the hospital, lots of outdoor activities, surprisingly good restaurant scene, couple hours to Atlanta and Nashville, 4 hours to beaches.

Not a res or MS, but a Winston-Salem native, so I'm here to brag about North Carolina Baptist.

Baptist (Wake) is an 834-bed hospital, the only level-1 peds. trauma center in the state, and receives referrals and choppers from VA, TN, and NC. Also a new medical school campus! Opportunities for wilderness medicine due to proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway/Smokies.

I live in Raleigh currently and the area is saturated with people like yourself, northerners and transplants (not a bad thing!). From what I hear, you want to see the South, which the Winston area will give you a better taste of. A 1.5 hr drive to the mountains and 4 to the beach. Can't be beaten. Hope to see you soon :)

edit: I see you're a UNC fan and as an NCSU student I retract everything above

Brutal

But seriously, I really do appreciate the insight! I'm definitely going to be hovering around at least these 3 schools this time next year.

At this point I do have a specific interest in Cardio, which I've come to understand all 3 schools have great opportunities in that particular field. Any comments on that?

And hey, I dislike Louisville even more. So I'm pulling for your team tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Brutal

But seriously, I really do appreciate the insight! I'm definitely going to be hovering around at least these 3 schools this time next year.

At this point I do have a specific interest in Cardio, which I've come to understand all 3 schools have great opportunities in that particular field. Any comments on that?

And hey, I dislike Louisville even more. So I'm pulling for your team tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you!

Cardio at WFUBMC (Baptist) is good, but I'm just assuming--but again, given the prestige of the hospital it should be a good program. Duke and UNC presumably have good programs too, probably Duke moreso than UNC.

Duke has people fly from all over the nation for procedures.

Not a res or MS, but a Winston-Salem native, so I'm here to brag about North Carolina Baptist.

Baptist (Wake) is an 834-bed hospital, the only level-1 peds. trauma center in the state, and receives referrals and choppers from VA, TN, and NC. Also a new medical school campus! Opportunities for wilderness medicine due to proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway/Smokies.

I live in Raleigh currently and the area is saturated with people like yourself, northerners and transplants (not a bad thing!). From what I hear, you want to see the South, which the Winston area will give you a better taste of. A 1.5 hr drive to the mountains and 4 to the beach. Can't be beaten. Hope to see you soon :)

Just saying in case peds people look at this thread in the future... UNC has also become a Level 1 peds trauma center in the last few years.

https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/trauma/traumacenter.html