Duke vent!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatescience

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I submitted that monster of a secondary in late August, yet have still not heard ANYTHING (rejection, interview, etc).

I read that Duke's admissions depends on "independent screeners" who suggest to interview/not interview, but are there others who have been complete this long (or I guess longer), as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Send a letter of interest.

I submitted my secondary on September 19th. Sent a letter of interest on December 2nd. Interview invite on December 15th.

I'm not sure if the LOI helped or not, because I remember calling some time late November and the woman telling me that I was already reviewed by 1 screener and they were still waiting on the 2nd screener. It doesn't hurt, though. Duke likes students that are enthusiastic about the school. I think that's one reason why they have such a long secondary, I've noticed many people have decided to withdraw from Duke because of how tedious their secondary is. That leaves them with people who are genuinely interested. Out of all the schools I've seen, Duke seems to have the most enthusiastic students (I'm sure we'll be hit by a wave of Duke-student posts soon on this thread, which will further exemplify my point).

Good luck.

Send a letter of interest.

I submitted my secondary on September 19th. Sent a letter of interest on December 2nd. Interview invite on December 15th.

I'm not sure if the LOI helped or not, because I remember calling some time late November and the woman telling me that I was already reviewed by 1 screener and they were still waiting on the 2nd screener. It doesn't hurt, though. Duke likes students that are enthusiastic about the school. I think that's one reason why they have such a long secondary, I've noticed many people have decided to withdraw from Duke because of how tedious their secondary is. That leaves them with people who are genuinely interested. Out of all the schools I've seen, Duke seems to have the most enthusiastic students (I'm sure we'll be hit by a wave of Duke-student posts soon on this thread, which will further exemplify my point).

Good luck.

Did you sent it via e-mail, or snail mail? I recently sent an update letter, but that was last week. I know with the holiday rush it's bound to slow things down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent the letter via e-mail, and received e-mail confirmation that it was added to my file. I also called afterwards to confirm that the person to whom the letter was addressed had read it. Actually, I called to make an inquiry as to who actually receives the letter, and she told me who read it.

I had my application in for months...so I called them asking what was up...got no reply other than "it is under review." Not more than 5 minutes later, I get called back saying that I have been invited for an interview.

Probably that 0 MCAT and GPA. That's gonna take some post-bacc work to make up for :(.

Probably that 0 MCAT and GPA. That's gonna take some post-bacc work to make up for :(.

And the fact that I hate science:D? Haha, I should put up my MDapps again (although the stats are not stellar: 3.5 and 32).