Duke vs. Beth Israel Deaconess

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bongo22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these programs are very different but does anyone have any thoughts when trying to decide between the two?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they are both "top" programs, although Duke is probably considered a bit above BIDMC by most people. (BIDMC is still Harvard, though) I think the programs are so different, though, that it really shouldn't be that close of a decision. They are close enough in terms of ranking/fellowship placement that your decision should be based more on the type of program you want than which is the "best" program from other people's perspectives.

I know these programs are very different but does anyone have any thoughts when trying to decide between the two?

BID has the Harvard name.

Duke is a powerhouse in internal medicine.

First, both programs are in totally different settings. Duke is in Durham, NC (great if married/children, low cost of living, neat area) vs. Boston (cold as hell*, higher cost of living, probably more social life there).

There is a debate on SDN whether BID is a second tier program or not. I'm not going to get into that because I don't know and don't care.

If I had to go with pure opportunity, then it is almost a split because the Harvard network has huge opportunities, but I think Duke offers better training and fellowship opportunities in most situations.

Curricular elements are also different: BID has the hospitalist vibe and QA/QI issues. Duke has a rigorous EBM-based curriculum.

I would be puzzled why you are having issues with the decision... two totally different locations, two different feels. Should be obvious. Think of your future career and take a look at both programs to see what provides the best opportunity and the best location for your stage in life.

Do a second look if indicated. Best wishes in your decision :luck:

* = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Members don't see this ad :)
BID has the Harvard name.

Duke is a powerhouse in internal medicine.

First, both programs are in totally different settings. Duke is in Durham, NC (great if married/children, low cost of living, neat area) vs. Boston (cold as hell*, higher cost of living, probably more social life there).

There is a debate on SDN whether BID is a second tier program or not. I'm not going to get into that because I don't know and don't care.

If I had to go with pure opportunity, then it is almost a split because the Harvard network has huge opportunities, but I think Duke offers better training and fellowship opportunities in most situations.

Curricular elements are also different: BID has the hospitalist vibe and QA/QI issues. Duke has a rigorous EBM-based curriculum.

I would be puzzled why you are having issues with the decision... two totally different locations, two different feels. Should be obvious. Think of your future career and take a look at both programs to see what provides the best opportunity and the best location for your stage in life.

Do a second look if indicated. Best wishes in your decision :luck:

* = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

I think the "Harvard-affiliation" for BIDMC in terms of residency is over-rated. I believe that after you grduate from the IM residency, your Diploma will say BIDMC not Harvard. The average Joe has no idea that BIDMc is affiliated with HMS. Duke will give you a better chance than BIDMCof landing highly competitive fellowships if that's what you want.
Otherwise, I agree with the above points about the differences between the programs.

I think the "Harvard-affiliation" for BIDMC in terms of residency is over-rated. I believe that after you grduate from the IM residency, your Diploma will say BIDMC not Harvard. The average Joe has no idea that BIDMc is affiliated with HMS.

I mostly agree with your post, but keep in mind that the opinions of "the average Joe" won't play a large role in your career or fellowship opportunities regardless of which program you attend. The only think the average Joe knows about Duke is that it's in North Carolina and Coach K works there. Surely, fellowship directors respect the BIDMC program and you will meet many great contacts doing residency there. Now, I think the reputation/contacts you will have coming from Duke will be slightly better, but BIDMC is still a great program from what I've heard. I think it should come down to what type of program/location you want.