Duke vs. Doheny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteDots

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious-- who do you guys think is a better program, Duke or Doheny? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think they're both so great, that the difference in your level of training at either place will be statistically insignificant. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious-- who do you guys think is a better program, Duke or Doheny? Thanks!

Both great programs. Can't go wrong with either one.

By sub-depts:

Retina: With DeJuan and Tom Chang gone, Duke probably has the edge
clinically but Doheny's likely stronger research-wise.

Cornea: Doheny certainly has the bigger names like Ron Smith (chair).
Duke's program director is Terry Kim and is an up and comer
in the academic world. I think their cornea director, Alan
Carlson is fairly well-known.

Glaucoma: Duke definitely has the edge with their all-star faculty.

Social life: I think LA might be just a bit better than Durham. I think.

I am currently scheduled at the UC, Irvine interview for 12/8. I wanted to see if anyone wants to switch their 12/15 interview date for my 12/8.

Thanks for feedback in advance!:)

Retina: With DeJuan and Tom Chang gone, Duke probably has the edge
clinically but Doheny's likely stronger research-wise.

I actually know vert little about Duke.

However, I do not believe Doheny is lacking at all in Retina. You have Drs. Mark Humayan, Jennifer Lim, Stephen Ryan (as in Ryan's Retina) , Dean Eliott among other all-stars.

I actually know vert little about Duke.

However, I do not believe Doheny is lacking at all in Retina. You have Drs. Mark Humayan, Jennifer Lim, Stephen Ryan (as in Ryan's Retina) , Dean Eliott among other all-stars.

Didn't say that Doheny is lacking in retina at all. It is, along
with Wills, Beaumont, Duke, and Bascom, top 5 or so retina depts in
the country. Merely saying that clinically, Duke might be better
with McCuen, Jaffe, etc. I do believe that with Humayun etc., Doheny is stronger in research.

Of course that's just my opinion having interacted with various faculty.

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful.

Beaumont? Just curious what program this is.
thanks

So as a follow up, I believe this is the program in Michigan, correct? Do any of you have opinions on this program? I understand that the retina training is extremely good, would those who are interested in retina go there for residency? Is this a program that trains good comprehensive ophtho's? Is it only good for fellowship?
thanks for all your input

beaumont is an insane retina fellowship, probably one of the premier retina training programs in the country--but i don't think their residency is supposed to be nearly as good. i could be wrong, but i don't think you could get a beaumont retina fellowship coming out of the beaumont residency. my mentor did his retina fellowship at beaumont, and that's what i'm basing this information on.

beaumont is an insane retina fellowship, probably one of the premier retina training programs in the country--but i don't think their residency is supposed to be nearly as good. i could be wrong, but i don't think you could get a beaumont retina fellowship coming out of the beaumont residency. my mentor did his retina fellowship at beaumont, and that's what i'm basing this information on.

I don't know much about Beaumont residency but Beaumont retina fellowship
is nearly impossible to get into. They attract top notch applicants from the top residencies. Some recent fellows that got into the program include people from Wills, Jules Stein, Scheie etc.

this thread and my response resulted in a lot of PMs asking me why i thought doheny was a better program. to be honest, i never interviewed at duke and know very little about the program. i do believe that duke is an excellent program. here is why i think doheny is also an outstanding program:

1. it starts at the top: drs. smith and sadun are everything you want and need in a department chair and program director.

2. volume: clinical and surgical. you can read until your eyes bleed about ophthalmology but until you see it or do it, you won't know it. no one can deny that the pathology we see at lac+usc is almost unparalleled. we are well-rounded and staffed by world class faculty in every subspeciatly of ophthalmology. expect to do 150 cataracts (extra-cap, scleral tunnel and clear cornea phaco) along with healthy numbes of muscle surgeries, trabs and plastics. you leave very comfortable with the use of all lasers.

HOWEVER, this is not a program that holds your hand. one-third of our time is spent at doheny in the private clinics working one on one with attendings. there, you will not lack supervision. HOWEVER, 2/3 of your time is spent at the county hospital clinic. you are your own doctor. there are always fellows and faculty present if you need them, but it is impossible to run every patient by them. you see your own patients and with help, learn to manage your own complications. in summary, this is a program that balances direct attending supervision with independence.

we do not lack for didactics. we have lecture almost every morning. but there is no way that they can cover everything that will be on the OKAPs. you also have to supplement with outside reading.

in summary, if you are looking for a top-notch clinical and research program that produces highly skilled and independent ophthalmic physicians and surgeons, doheny is a great place to train.