Duke vs Emory vs Parkland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedObsession

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm coming down to the final thread of interviews and really liked these programs the most so far, for a variety of reasons. Did an away at Emory, but spent it on a sub-specialty service with 2 attendings and 2 residents, so I didn't get the full experience. At Duke, didn't get to meet that many residents.

Does anyone have anything to add? It's so hard to make a rank list based on 1.5 days of exposure!!

Members don't see this ad.

So, there have been a few threads along these lines that I have seen. I'm also guilty of bumping one about NW, Magee and UNC from awhile back. I'm realizing that it's tough to share your interview impressions though. If I really didn't like one of these programs, but loved another, then is it in my best interest to share my opinion and convince you to rank my favorite program highly? Does that make sense? Maybe I'm just overthinking it. After rank lists are submitted I will be happy to post all of my interview impressions for the benefit of next year's class.

I'm coming down to the final thread of interviews and really liked these programs the most so far, for a variety of reasons. Did an away at Emory, but spent it on a sub-specialty service with 2 attendings and 2 residents, so I didn't get the full experience. At Duke, didn't get to meet that many residents.

Does anyone have anything to add? It's so hard to make a rank list based on 1.5 days of exposure!!

So, there have been a few threads along these lines that I have seen. I'm also guilty of bumping one about NW, Magee and UNC from awhile back. I'm realizing that it's tough to share your interview impressions though. If I really didn't like one of these programs, but loved another, then is it in my best interest to share my opinion and convince you to rank my favorite program highly? Does that make sense? Maybe I'm just overthinking it. After rank lists are submitted I will be happy to post all of my interview impressions for the benefit of next year's class.

I definitely understand your perspective. I didn't mean to ask anyone to convince me to rank their favorite program first, especially if it is also based off of 1.5 days of exposure.

I really was trying to see if people had any experiences (good or bad) at the program through rotating at these programs as a student or visiting student, since I was only there for such a short time. I have found that talking to other applicants on the interview trail has been invaluable because they may have rotated at a place that I did not, and can share their experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)

OMG #1 gunner!

We are so much nicer in the medicine forums.

I think you're over-thinking this.

Out of the 6 names listed here, I interviewed at ONE of them. (Didn't even apply to most of them!) Most people who are on SDN haven't, I would venture.

So asking for people to list experiences that can genuinely help compare and contrast one another is a little much. I can tell you all about the one program that I interviewed at (and would be more than happy to!), but can I give you anything meaningful when I didn't even look at most of the programs being mentioned? Probably not.

I'll also be happy to write interview impressions, once the mere thought of The Match stops giving me runs of PVCs. I cannot WAIT for March 19th....

OMG #1 gunner!

We are so much nicer in the medicine forums.

You're right, I could be over thinking it. But definitely not a gunner. Far from it. This is more about paranoia I think!

I think you're over-thinking this.

Out of the 6 names listed here, I interviewed at ONE of them. (Didn't even apply to most of them!) Most people who are on SDN haven't, I would venture.

So asking for people to list experiences that can genuinely help compare and contrast one another is a little much. I can tell you all about the one program that I interviewed at (and would be more than happy to!), but can I give you anything meaningful when I didn't even look at most of the programs being mentioned? Probably not.

I'll also be happy to write interview impressions, once the mere thought of The Match stops giving me runs of PVCs. I cannot WAIT for March 19th....

If you go to the thread with interview invites, as of 11/13/08, 12 people (at least active posters) had been offered interviews at these programs (Duke, Emory, Parkland). In addition, a few of these people had some crossover interview offers at these programs, which I find to be expected since they are all in the South and Southeast part of the country. I guess I thought some of those posters would have something to share. Not to mention, the countless med students on Student Doctor that may be med students at these institutions, and could contribute.

Based on the above posts, I think you guys have opinions on these programs (or at least 1), but I guess are paranoid to share them. I think that is very nice to offer to help people applying next year, although so much may change in just that year. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see the big deal about sharing opinions with other applicants from this year. I'll stop being pushy and just sort it out on my own, and through my questions for residents and few med students I know at these programs.

Anyhow, I hope my tone isn't misinterpreted on this post... I'm not trying to sound antagonistic. I'm pretty anxious/paranoid about this process too (which is causing me to question my 1.5 day exposures, as you see). I didn't think it was doing to much to ask people to share their opinions, since I'm readily open with mine (check out the blog). I guess I'm just dealing with my anxiety about the match by trying to ask a million questions. Other people handle things differently than me and I understand that!

Best of luck to you both :). I can't wait for March 19 either... actually February 25, because then it really is out of my hands and I can't adjust my list anymore!

Hey MedObsession. I didn't think you were paranoid or pushy. I haven't replied b/c I didn't interview at any of those places, so I can't be of help.

I haven't posted my impressions either, which I need to do. I get the feeling though that people are posting b/c a) they're like me and are slacking on it, or b) are trying to keep others from picking up on great places that they liked. I get it, it's more competitive this year. At least it seems this way to me. I met more than a few Wayne State ppl on the trail and there are 30 candidates applying from there alone, which is blowing my mind even though their class size is over 200! good luck to all!

Hey MedObsession. I didn't think you were paranoid or pushy. I haven't replied b/c I didn't interview at any of those places, so I can't be of help.

I haven't posted my impressions either, which I need to do. I get the feeling though that people are posting b/c a) they're like me and are slacking on it, or b) are trying to keep others from picking up on great places that they liked. I get it, it's more competitive this year. At least it seems this way to me. I met more than a few Wayne State ppl on the trail and there are 30 candidates applying from there alone, which is blowing my mind even though their class size is over 200! good luck to all!

Well thanks :)!

I definitely agree that this is a pretty competitive year. I have met so many people from different schools that say it's a "record year" for the number of applicants applying in Ob/Gyn from their school. I know in my school alone, for those applying in Ob/Gyn, 40% of the applicants are AOA!

Anyhow, I'm sure that this will all work out and we will end up in some great places. Good luck to you too!!!