Duke vs. Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedD1athlete

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you in advance for any help you can give. Im having a really hard time with this decision and appreciate any advice!

Duke
Pros
  • 1 year curriculum: I initially thought this would be too short, but with Step 1 being p/f my mind has somewhat changed
  • AMAZING facilities. I really loved how close everything is at Duke. The hospitals and the SOM are very much intertwined and obviously state of the art
  • I really liked the students here. I got really good vibes from the current students and the other students I interviewed with (P.S. thank you to my partner who hyped me up in the partner stations)
  • Durham (didn't get to explore but everyone really seems to like it)
  • Cost of living (coming from Boston so anything less is appealing)
  • interested in derm potentially and Duke had 4 students match this year
  • As a retired D1 athlete, the sports culture appeals to me

Cons
  • Far from SO and family. Not sure if SO will move with me.
  • Not sure I will like living in the South (spent my whole life in New England)
  • EXPENSIVE. I did not qualify for any aid and my family will NOT be paying. Will likely need to take $325,000 in loans.
Hofstra
Pros
  • Curriculum. I really liked the case-based model and the autonomy to learn how i like to.
  • I really liked the people here. I connected with the students who are already there and really enjoyed some of my interviewers in the MMI.
  • Close to my friends from undergrad. Essentially all of my best friends from undergrad live on Long Island
  • Cheaper. I received a scholarship that would mean i would have to take out around $225,000 in loans
  • Have really good match lists, despite lesser prestige
  • Huge network of hospitals to work at and gain experience

Cons
  • Location. I dont really want to move to LI. Far from my family and SO and a less appealing destination for visitors. SO will definitely not move here.
  • Less prestige. Im not sure how much this should weigh into my decision but it is true.
  • Less of a community feel
Summary:
I am female, ORM. I am hoping to eventually match back in New England fore residency. I am currently interested in Derm, Oncology, and potentially peds. I am a homebody and am nervous to move far from my family/SO. If money was equal, I would chose Duke without a thought, but obviously that is not the case.

THANK YOU FOR ANY OPINIONS YOU CAN OFFER!!

Members don't see this ad.

Duke. You are screwed either way with loans (to be blunt), so just pick the school you want.

Reactions: 1 users
This is one of those cases where I would choose the more expensive school. Duke

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your comparisons for each school are quite similar. You liked the curriculum, facilities, and students at each school and are not excited about LI or South vs. NE. Biggest differences seem to be Durham > LI, support from SO (maybe) vs. best friends, and $$$ vs. $$.

You could try putting those similars head-to-head to get more clarity.

My vote is Duke. You seem more excited about it. I think the 100k in this situation is worth the preference, when the debt burden is already so large. If you think you'd be happier at Hofstra, go for it instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users