Duke vs. Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard great things about both of these places for Anesthesia training, but was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the two? I tried searching but only got stuff comparing Duke to UNC. Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Both programs will give you very strong clinical training and the differences in this respect are probably small. My impression was that Duke has especially strong regional training. If you think peds is in your future, Penn may be the place to go. No one will fault you for training at either. Major difference in my opinion is location: Durham vs. Philadelphia -- cities that both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Both programs will give you very strong clinical training and the differences in this respect are probably small. My impression was that Duke has especially strong regional training. If you think peds is in your future, Penn may be the place to go. No one will fault you for training at either. Major difference in my opinion is location: Durham vs. Philadelphia -- cities that both have their advantages/disadvantages.

Durham is cooler. Nuff said.

Both are top programs and you won't go wrong with either one. Like the above post said, it really comes down to 1) location and 2) whether you like the people (residents, faculty) you meet when you interview.

I interviewed at UPenn last fall and I came away impressed. It provides really strong training and prepares you well for private practice & academics, and the people there are really laid back and genuinely friendly. I didn't interview at Duke (due to its location) so I can't comment on the program other than the fact it also has an excellent reputation.

In any case, if you would seriously consider going to either program then apply to both.