Duke vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to choose between these two schools, and I'd love to hear advice from any students there or from anyone who has opinions about them.

I guess I'll just outline what I'm thinking...

I don't want a second degree, but I do want to do research during medical school. Duke obviously has the third year, but Yale also requires a thesis, so research at both schools is a priority, it seems.

I think that I'd prefer Durham to New Haven, but I think that four years down the road, I'd prefer to go to a residency in the Northeast (but probably not Yale.) Both schools have great match lists, but Yale's has more people matching at places that I might like to end up. (In terms of specialties, both schools have people going into competitive fields.) I'm interested right now in opthalmology and cardiology (though that could well change).

The stresslessness of Yale (as well as the time it affords to get to know people, get involved in service, etc.) appeals to me, but so does Duke's third year!

Oh, one thing I was wondering was how Yale's facilities are...I had a very abbreviated tour and didn't really see much of the school.

I was all set on Duke until Yale pulled me from their waitlist yesterday, and now I need to go back and think things over again...I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give!

Members don't see this ad.