Duke's Supplement Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cosmodion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Inaugural Post!:

Okay, I have left my applications somewhat to the last minute. To the point that I may not even see supplementals until very close to the application deadline. SO.... can anyone let me know what are the supplemental questions like at Duke? I heard theres a fair bit to do and I wanted to get a crack at thinking about them.

P.S. what kind of stats are competitive for Duke interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Cosmodion said:
My Inaugural Post!:

Okay, I have left my applications somewhat to the last minute. To the point that I may not even see supplementals until very close to the application deadline. SO.... can anyone let me know what are the supplemental questions like at Duke? I heard theres a fair bit to do and I wanted to get a crack at thinking about them.

Well, I submitted my sec app to Duke yesterday, and yes, it is a LOT of work! It has 6 short answer questions and 2 long ones. I don't have time right now but if you want, PM me later and I'll tell you exactly what the questions are. Good Luck! :luck:

1. Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?
This is a required question. Additionally, this short question is limited to 500 characters only. If your response is more than 500 characters (excluding spaces) the audit will not allow you to proceed.

2.Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?
This is a required question. Additionally, this short question is limited to 500 characters only. If your response is more than 500 characters (excluding spaces) the audit will not allow you to proceed.

3. Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

4. Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

5. Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title.

6. Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

7. Outside of the classroom, (i.e., encounters with academic dishonesty, etc.) describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with or meet this challenge?

This is a required question. Additionally, this essay question is limited to 1000 characters only. If your response is more than 1000 characters (excluding spaces) the audit will not allow you to proceed.

8. The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

This is a required question. Additionally, this essay question is limited to 1000 characters only. If your response is more than 1000 characters (excluding spaces) the audit will not allow you to proceed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi, I recieved an interview at duke before my LOR's were in. they do that, which is nice. You can check out my stats on my mdapplicants profile. You can also do a search on mdapplicants of anyone who received a duke interview and it will give you an average mcat and gpa for the group.

did the last (medical technology) duke question make anyone else laugh?

beep said:
did the last (medical technology) duke question make anyone else laugh?

I laughed because they asked a question that could easily become a book response.