dull?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, currently choosing what speciality to choose. ortho is one option, optho end ent are two others. do you think that ortho gets monotonous efter a couple of years (due to the lack of medical stuff etc).

/ P

Members don't see this ad.

Out of all the ortho people I've ever known, I've never met one who was not happy as a clam with their job. The guys that did something specific (like shoulders or knees or wrists) were all about doing a damn good job with that joint, and the general guys got a kick out of doing the whole kit and caboodle.

No more so than either of the other specialties you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, currently choosing what speciality to choose. ortho is one option, optho end ent are two others. do you think that ortho gets monotonous efter a couple of years (due to the lack of medical stuff etc).

/ P

Just wondering but what do you mean by "due to the lack of medical stuff"?

The only specialty that I have seen where some people get burnt out after a couple of years is EM but I am sure there are a few people in each specialty that has a change in heart.

/ P

Kind of a silly question. If you're interested in mechanics, working with your hands, and the other stuff you get in ortho - then no, it won't get monotonous. If you are worried about the "lack of medical stuff", I would look at another specialty...perhaps medicine?

/ P

I lament that I don't get to manage patient's water pills, diabeetus/sugars, hi-anal hernias, acid reflex, nerves, leaky valves, and inhalers. I sure made the wrong choice...:rolleyes:

Haha, that's hilarious - I can just hear the FM clinic patients! At least you can do something to fix their "rotor cups"!