Pegasus82

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Sweden
Status
MD/PhD Student
hey guys, currently choosing what speciality to choose. ortho is one option, optho end ent are two others. do you think that ortho gets monotonous efter a couple of years (due to the lack of medical stuff etc).

/ P

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
Out of all the ortho people I've ever known, I've never met one who was not happy as a clam with their job. The guys that did something specific (like shoulders or knees or wrists) were all about doing a damn good job with that joint, and the general guys got a kick out of doing the whole kit and caboodle.

PenguinHead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No more so than either of the other specialties you mentioned.

deuce924

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2007
Status
Medical Student
hey guys, currently choosing what speciality to choose. ortho is one option, optho end ent are two others. do you think that ortho gets monotonous efter a couple of years (due to the lack of medical stuff etc).

/ P
Just wondering but what do you mean by "due to the lack of medical stuff"?

The only specialty that I have seen where some people get burnt out after a couple of years is EM but I am sure there are a few people in each specialty that has a change in heart.

veenut

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status

/ P
Kind of a silly question. If you're interested in mechanics, working with your hands, and the other stuff you get in ortho - then no, it won't get monotonous. If you are worried about the "lack of medical stuff", I would look at another specialty...perhaps medicine?

skiz knot

Legendary Dr. X
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
Somewhere in the middle
Status

/ P
I lament that I don't get to manage patient's water pills, diabeetus/sugars, hi-anal hernias, acid reflex, nerves, leaky valves, and inhalers. I sure made the wrong choice...:rolleyes:

cbest

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haha, that's hilarious - I can just hear the FM clinic patients! At least you can do something to fix their "rotor cups"!