Dumb question from a privileged M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumixam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. I'll try to make this short and to the point.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay for all 4 years of school, and my parents are covering my living expenses.

However, I hate the idea of being 30 years old and living off of my parents, and I would like a little more financial breathing room. Would taking out a loan for living expenses for the next 2 years be completely stupid? I was thinking $25k per year for 2 years. Am I an idiot for wanting to do this? How would I go about it? I have 0 debt, and I don't even know how getting student loans works. Federal or private? Am I allowed to get student loans and then not use any of it on tuition, just living?

Thanks for any advice you guys have.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey gang. I'll try to make this short and to the point.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay for all 4 years of school, and my parents are covering my living expenses.

However, I hate the idea of being 30 years old and living off of my parents, and I would like a little more financial breathing room. Would taking out a loan for living expenses for the next 2 years be completely stupid? I was thinking $25k per year for 2 years. Am I an idiot for wanting to do this? How would I go about it? I have 0 debt, and I don't even know how getting student loans works. Federal or private? Am I allowed to get student loans and then not use any of it on tuition, just living?

Thanks for any advice you guys have.

Suck up your pride. Being in debt sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
Why? Don’t you have about 1.5 years before u live on ur own? Most likely during residency? Why burden yourself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Does supporting you through medical school put your parents in a difficult position financially? Are will they be able to go into their retirement years financially secure? And will you be willing to support them financially when you are an attending if their financial arrangements go awry?

If they can afford it, accept their very generous offer and thank them profusely. It will make your life as a resident and new attending so much easier. You can thank them financially with a nice vacation once you have the funds to do that --

Reactions: 1 users