dumb questions about applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what EXACTLY is/are the question(s) they ask for the personal statement?

how many LORs do you need and how do you send them? does whoever writes them send them directly to AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember the AMCAS application having a specific question for the personal statement. It might just say something like"this is your opportunity to tell the schools something about yourself". The secondary applications from individual schools might ask a specific question, however. And those questions will vary by school.
About the LOR's, AMCAS does not handle them at all. Either you handle them youself, or you can use a recommendation letter service (I think there are private ones, but most are organized through your school). My school handled my LOR's for me. I had all the letters sent to the advising office, and for a fee, they copied and distributed the letters when I told them to. That way I never saw or even touched any of my letters.
And each school requests different letters, which can be annoying, although most schools request either a "committee letter" from your school's pre-med committee, or three individual letters- usually two from science professors, one from non-science. Some schools also request volunteer/clinical experience letters and/or character reference letters. If you know the schools you will apply to, you could go ahead and contact them to see exactly what letters they request.
Although my school did not have a "committee letter", your school might. I won't discuss those since I don't know much about them.

You should never send more 5 LORs ( told to me by a dean of admissions). You should pick out the very best writers you can that can say more than..."This student was a good student and got an A in my class." That is meaningless. Get to know your profs. Ask questions, go to office hours, SIT UP FRONT, etc..... When you are ready to get a LOR, give them a copy of your personal statment, so they can see why you want to become a doctor. Build your relationships now so when it is time to get your LORs you will be ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is no set topic for the personal statement on AMCAS.

LORs are sent directly to the schools you applied to. If your undergrad school has a pre-health comittee, you have to ask for committee letters to be sent to med schools. If your undergrad school doesn't have one, you have to send the letters yourself.

As a general rule, 3-5 LORs are fine. Too many, no one reads them. It'll be best to get LORs from different areas (Science and non-science professors, volunteer supervisors, practicing physicians, etc.)

5300 characters....

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004appwrksheet.pdf

this is what it says on the amcas application..

some of the questions that you may want to consider...

why have you selected the field of medicine?

what motivates you to learn more about medicine?

what do you want medical schools to know about you that has not been disclosed in the other parts of this application?

In addition you may want to include this information as well...

special hardships, challenges and obstacles that may have influenced your academic pursuits...

commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application.

hope this helps.

thanks for your help guys!

so do i just ask my LOR writers to give me the letters or send them right to the med schools?

If you have a premed committee at your school, you should have your professors send their letters to the committee. The committee will then write a composite letter with the individual profs' letters attached. The committee sends out the LORs to the schools you tell them to.

If you don't have a premed committee, things get a little tricky. You will probably have to find a third-party service that will handle the letters for you. (Because you're not supposed to see these letters, ideally.)