Duquesne post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAEbrodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received notification, that I will be going there, anyone else going? I haven't decided yet, still hoping to hear from Penn's SSP, and some MPH programs elsewhere. Those who are in the program now, input would be greatly appreciated:D

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get accepted to the pre-professional track or enhancement track? Was there an interview?

Also, when did you apply and how soon did you hear a response? I think I might apply to the enhancement track. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
How selective is this program? My boyfriend is thinking about applying to Duquesne and a few others. His GPA is a 3.1 and his GRE was about 1150 with a 5.5/6.0 in writing. He has extensive undergrad research but unfortunately did not get accepted into any grad schools. He is now thinking about applying to a post bac. and wants to go the osteopathic route. Thoughts?

i really couldn't tell you about how selective the program is, but you can't lose anything from applying, i loved pittsburgh when i visited, and am pretty sure ill be going there in the fall

I did my undergrad in Pittsburgh and I must say the city is great. It's a friendly and clean urban environment.

I spent some time at Duquesne. It has a rich history and maintains a beautiful urban, yet isolated campus. Furthermore, the Big 3 pittsburgh schools, being Pitt, Carnegie-Mellon, and Duquesne, all have close ties which makes a med app to Pitt's med school a good choice.

As for Duq. program, it is not on the level of Bryn Mawr, Scripps, Goucher, HES etc. but it is strong and is placed in Pittsburgh, arguably one of the largest medical hubs in country with UPMC. It also has linkages with Temple Med and Lake Erie OS.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Thank you! I'm encouraging him to apply to the program at Duquesne and a few others. I just wish I could pick the school up and move it to Chicago, where I'll be going next year! :p But I love Pittsburgh so if he went there I would be able to go to more Pens games. :D

SAEBrodel, how were you contacted about your interview invite and how long did it take?

got the invitation in the mail, i honestly can't recall how long it took for them to respond, i applied in early november, i know that much, but I interviewed sometime in february

I am unfamiliar with the Duquesne post bac program.

Is it worthwhile; if so why?

Does the Duquesne post bac program have a good track record for getting its grads into med school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
if I remember correctly, the director said it had a 85% acceptance upon completion, I was also told its one of the oldest in the country, so its reputation is well known. If you look on the website it shows a list of the number of med school acceptances from the program. I like it because the tuition isn't that expensive, pittsburgh is an awesome city, and housing is surprisingly cheap there. right now im deciding between ehre or upenn's special science program

any more thoughts or experience with the duquesne pbmp/mhms program? I'm very interested in the program and looking for some advice from someone who has been through it or knows a lot about it.

Ya, it was the most recent one i found. I figured I'd give it a shot before starting a new thread.

I actually spoke with a representative at Duquesne's program (unfortunately, I found out that they have a spring start date a month too late) and she says that they still have linkages to Temple and LECOM. However, she told me that the Temple program is a bit wacky because Temple requires that linkage candidates take ALL classes through the Duquesne program to be eligible. So if you have already taken one or two classes that might be problematic.

This is a bit of an old thread, does anyone have any more current information on the Duq PB program for career changers? Rates of acceptance into med schools, extra help offered, average MCAT scores, etc? Would be much appreciated!

Given that this thread is 3 years old, does anybody have any updated information? I just got offered an interview and was wondering what to expect.
Thanks

Given that this thread is 3 years old, does anybody have any updated information? I just got offered an interview and was wondering what to expect.
Thanks

Hey, I just interviewed yesterday, overall it was a pretty good experience, I am fairly certain I will be attending in the Fall. Feel free to PM me any question you may have about the interview or thoughts of their program.

I was accepted, probably going in the fall, anybody else?

Hi, I will be attending in the fall as well. Is anyone looking for a roommate?:)