Duquesne Post-Bacc???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that's me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you had expereince with the Duquesne post bac program? Any comments would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask away. Did my post bacc there.

Members don't see this ad :)
N1DERL& said:
Ask away. Did my post bacc there.

what classes beyond the required classes did you like the most?

Well I only took healthcare ethics and anatomy and physiology outside of the prereqs. I'm one of the need the prereqs post baccer vs. the need upper division classes post baccer.

Healthcare ethics is a pretty easy class with a midterm and final. Dr. Mackler gives you like 6 essay prompts from which he'll pick 2 for the exams. There are 2 short 5 page papers where you take an ethical situation and break it down. Straight forward class and interesting.

A&P is taught my Jeanne Workman. I just love her because she is a great teacher. She is always willing to take the time to help you out and her tests are also straight from her notes. She provides notes on blackboard and lectures from them. I thought her class really came in handy when it came to the mcat.

My friends took endocrinology and they didn't stress too much over it. Also someone took developmental biology which required more work to ace it. A bunch of ppl took Health Law which is taught by a sister who is a lawyer. I didn't like having a 3 hour class once a week so I took the ethics class instead.

If I remember more classes I'll post em. Hope this helps! Are you going to be attending there?

I know it was a while ago, but do you have any helpful hints for the interview? Mine's coming up April 2 and I'm nervous ! Do you remember any questions or have any hints on preparation? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

HI! First of all, relax. The interview is really mellow and laid back. Cathy did most of the talking and Dr. Selcer is really quiet. The first question was about your background i.e, major, college, what have you been doing since then..etc. Then they asked about why medicine.. because I wasn't a bio major. They also want to know what you want out of the program, why Duq's program, and that's about it. They also went through whatever prereq's I completed and we made a list of what classes I still needed to complete.

I had prepared for it like it was going to be a med school interview... but it was really laid back. You can ask about where most students live, what the post bacc community is like, are professors accessible, ECs you can do while you're in the program.

PM me if you need more specifics. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a terrific job!

If you all are looking for another post-bac option in Pittsburgh I recommend Chatham College. It is a one year program and you get a degree instead of a certificate like most programs. It is a Master's of Science in Biology but geared at students applying to med school..Just a thought..