Duration of EP and IC procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSBeagle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for this but have found no answer. What is the duration of the differente EP and interventional procedures? I've heard that for example a radiofrequency ablation is a long procedure, but how long? How long are other EP studies?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been searching for this but have found no answer. What is the duration of the differente EP and interventional procedures? I've heard that for example a radiofrequency ablation is a long procedure, but how long? How long are other EP studies?

Hi HMS,

Why are are you concerned with this? Future radiation exposure? The duration of procedures depends on specific indication and the goal of therapy. Overall, yes, EP radiofrequency ablation procedures are longer than angioplasties.

You have placed a few recent posts asking for details on a career in EP vs. Interventional. For you, as a second year medical student, these choices are pretty far down the road. I would recommend concentrating your energy on "honoring" as many of your 3rd year clerkships as possible and getting yourself into the best Internal Medicine residency you can.

Yes I'm somewhat afraid of radiation exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an interesting point I've thought about. How bad is fluoroscopy for the user? While the important parts are covered by lead and frequently leaded glass is employed to shield the rest of the body, your dominant hand is always getting exposed. What do the studies on radiation exposure to cardiologists, radiologists, show?

I'd worry more about chronic back pain at the age 50 from wearing lead everyday for 20 years.

Thanks Tibor.
How about length of procedures?

This is an interesting point I've thought about. How bad is fluoroscopy for the user? While the important parts are covered by lead and frequently leaded glass is employed to shield the rest of the body, your dominant hand is always getting exposed. What do the studies on radiation exposure to cardiologists, radiologists, show?

As a 3rd year I did an ortho rotation and asked a hand surgeon about this after I began to realize that hardly a day went by that he didn't stick his hand directly in the fluoro beam. He made some vague statement about it being safe all things considered, but I don't think he was able to cite data to back himself up.

Thanks Tibor.
How about length of procedures?

Diagnostic cath - 20-30 minutes

Intervention - additional 30 minutes to 2 hours.

EP procedures - not absoutely sure. Standard PPM and ICD probably take from 30-60 minutes (PPM) to 60-90 minutes (ICD). I imagine ICD is longer because of testing of hte device. Ablations and other complicated procedures can take several hours

Now, that is not the same as fluoro time. For a diagnostic cath, fluro time is about 5 minutes. For an intervention is is longer, but still should be less than 20-30 minutes. Not sure about EP procedures.

your hands aren't directly exposed. They are usually behind a shield.

I doubt the fluoro time is a big deal. If it was, you'd hear about cardiologists retiring at 40-50 from the exposure.